Options

Packet Tracer Enough?

Jacinto1023Jacinto1023 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is Packet Tracer enough to pass CCNA?

I will be taking the CCNA two exam route within 6 months. I plan on getting CCNP in R&S and Security after and i'm aware real hardware would be best.

I plan on buying a Full home lab soon but i was wondering if Packet Tracer can at least get me through the first exam while i save and build a new computer and purchase the equipment.

I tried GNS3 but im having issues setting it up and finding IOS so if i could get by with Packet Tracer i rather do that then until i get the actual hardware.

anyone here use just Packet Tracer for CCNA?
Bachelor of Science in IT:Security - Western Governors University

Comments

• Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IMO it is almost enough. But it wont cover some stuff.
  • Options
    Is three 1841 256/64 and three 2960 TT-L all running IOS 15 enough for a home lab? looking to get it from here.

Basic 3 Router & 3 Switch CCNA Lab Kit RS 200-125 - CertificationKits
  • Options
    Or would a 2 Router 1 Switch setup be enough? It's alot cheaper and CBTnuggets recommended 2 router 1 switch combo.

two 2811 512/128 IOS 15.1(4) and one 3560 TS IOS 15.0(2)

Basic 2 Router & 1 Switch CCNA 200-125 Lab Kit - CertificationKits
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I used PT for about 95% of my "labbing" and it was enough for me.
  • Options
    Fulcrum45 wrote: »
    I used PT for about 95% of my "labbing" and it was enough for me.

what did you use for the other 5%?
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Probably is, but in ACLs, PT doesn't do the LOG switch. I don't know, I'm a firm believer in knowing how to construct cables, plugging things in, changing out WICs, adding NMs, etc. blah blah blah.. But then again, your mileage may vary
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    Now i'm reading that GNS3 doesnt do switching.

i think im just going to use the CBTnuggets video, the Wendell Cert guide and Packet Tracer for my CCNA:R&S and i'll get the actual hardware for my CCNP Studies.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    It's enough to pass the exam. It's what I used, although I did have a little experience with Cisco gear before hand. However, it's nice to have some hands on with equipment if you plan on working in networking. It's almost certainly going to come up in a job interview, and being able to say that you've configured real live gear will help you. It also gives you the confidence to work on real gear.

GNS3 is good, and lots of CCNA/CCNP people will use it, since it's a lot cheaper than real gear especially in more complex topologies. VIRL is better, but obviously more expensive.

There are quite a few guides on setting up labs for CCNA and CCNP R+S. The short and skinny is that for CCNA R+S, you want 3 switches and 3 routers, and for CCNP R+S you want 4 switches, where 2 are layer 3 capable (3560, 3750 etc), and 4 routers all ideally on 15.2 or better - but 15.0 will work for 95% of things, and cables to plug it all together.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    TylerD317TylerD317 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just passed ICND2 today. Packet Tracer is definitely enough for ICND2. That coupled with Boson's test environment($100) and CBTNuggets($84/month) got me through the exam. I also had Wendell Odom's book, but I really only used that if I was having an issue wrapping my head around a particular subject.
  • Options
    Perfect, thats what i wanted to hear since i have the exact same. Boson's practice exam, wendell's book, cbtnuggets and packet tracer.