Options

Lazy guy at work...

misman1982misman1982 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just started working at the County Courthouse as a Computer Tech. My coworker has been there for four years; the supervisor for 2 years. Our duties include setup and install updated computer workstations for all employees as well as other duties that take about 15-20 minutes to do. Once a workstation is done, the next can be started.

The problem is that my coworker is lazy. Every week we'll have a schedule to work on X amount of computers. It only takes about a day to do the work that takes him 3. The rest of the time he's on MySpace. I want to ask my supervisor to do more but I don't want it to look like he's a bad worker. Should I wait a few more weeks to say something? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    misman1982 wrote:
    The problem is that my coworker is lazy. Every week we'll have a schedule to work on X amount of computers. It only takes about a day to do the work that takes him 3.
    Hum.... sounds like they wouldn't need you if he wasn't so lazy..... and he has seniority. Is he someones relative?

Do your job as well as you can.... do your time, get a good recommendation, and move on if it bothers you.

If you slowed down (and decided to make a career in government work) your supervisor might need another person -- which would give him another "direct-report" and enhance his position (and possibly salary) for when its time for him to move up.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Don't say anything. Remember that you are new and you are the most vulnerable to being let go in case of a chemistry problem between the 2 of you.

Just do your job. :D
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    jim_staszjim_stasz Member Posts: 123
    Mikej412 nailed it. This guy is probably related to some zoning commish or inspector or something. Him getting a job was a kick back to someone who wanted to build a strip mall on an native america burial ground or someone who made a large $ contribution towards someone's reelection commitee. County government is the worst. Head down, mouth shut.
  • Options
    IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    I am in a similar situation as to you. I am part of a AD rollout team, my co-worker is lazy as sh**. which leaves me to do all the work. it can be very frustrating as you probably have already realized. you do have a few options.

1: you can talk to you co-worker *if he/she's anything like the one i work with, this will turn to heated argument*
    2: put your nose to the grindstone, learn as much as you can as quickly as you can, spend spare time learning ways to to improve job performance. hone your skills that associate with your job.
    3:just go about your business, dont share any of your knowledge/skills that you have learned with your co-worker.

If you choose 2 or 3 i would wait a while before you talk to your supervisor about anything, because yes you will look as your trying to stir up trouble. When you talk to your supervisor, try to keep as confidential as possible. dont whine & complain to your supervisor about your co-worker that wont look good on your account. merely bring up valid points, on how you have discovered job efficiency, the ways that you have learned new skills to help you do your job better *if you have certs, bring them up here.* If nothing else you could always ask for side-projects that could be done. even if there are no side projects it will still have a strong showing with your boss. this is a very delicate process because you dont want your co-worker to know otherwise it could turn ugly, but you also dont want your boss to see you as a complainer. Generally ppl like your co-worker will eventually be accounted for, its just a matter of time. My co-worker is very quickly started to lose creditability amongst peers, i have made it clear that i am going for my mcsa/mcse 2003 to help me perform at my job better. Now my phone is starting to ring more with other co-workers and supervisors asking for my input. If you bust your a** make sure that upper management knows how hard you work, other wise you stand idly by as your co-worker gets all the praise while you get nothing.

remember its a dog eat dog world
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security
  • Options
    matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    I'm in a similar situation working with some people who aren't certified in anything. The best thing to do is be quiet about it and let your work speak for it's self. Eventually my boss caught on and started asking me "How did you fix that?" I'm happy to tell him how and let him know what I've learned through certifications and experience. "How did you know that?" I learned it.

Now I get alot of work orders that other people have had and couldn't fix. They get assigned back to him and he passes them to me. It makes me work that much harder to come up with a solution to the problem because I know if I can my work will speak for me.

Sure I get some extra work, but I don't mind it. I get it because they know my abilities.
  • Options
    frankj1247frankj1247 Member Posts: 111
    Use this experience as a stepping stone, down the road when you want to apply to other government jobs you'll have priority over non-government applicants.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not sure exactly what this means "he's on your space"
    Is the guy actually giving you grief? If not, mind your business, it's funny how some people will do anything to get a job and once they get the job the green
    eyed monster turns up."He doesnt do anything,why he gets paid more than me?".You accepted the job and the salary, if you're not happy move on, dont try interferring with somebody elses life.
    Now if the guys interferring with your life its a different story.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    I'm not sure exactly what this means "he's on your space"

http://www.myspace.com/

It's a generational thing...
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your space, myspace, thats too funny!!! icon_lol.gif

Get the experience, do your best, and it will show through in the long run.
  • Options
    PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    I agree with what matts5074 said, let your work speak for it's self, and if you ask for extra projects when you are done with your part, it won't take long for the supervisor to realize who is doing the work (no telling what he will do about it, though).

As for MySpace, there are always HOSTS edits... icon_lol.gif
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Options
    misman1982misman1982 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All this information is really helpful. Thanks everyone for your input. I think that since I'm so new, I shouldn't stick my nose in too far. I might lay low for a while and just earn respect from everyone in the office. I don't plan on staying for very long; maybe a year or two.

Yeah, MySpace is kinda addicting. I didn't think I would ever jump on the bandwagon but I'm on it and can't get off.
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You'll come across plenty of these people in your career and it exists in all careers. Just got to do your job as best as you can. If management don't want to see it then you pointing it out to them isn't going to help.

If you constantly out perform him then over time management will realise.

Let your abilities do the talking.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I've been in a very similar situation at one of the world's largest publishers. Similar job, we had to upgrade almost 1300 desktops by replacing the hard disk with a new OS and applications. My coworkers were doing 4 or 5 per day, while I usually did 10 or more (installing per two, working on second while waiting for applications to install/data to be copied on the first). This didn't reflect well on my coworkers, and although I wasn't worried about popularity amongst coworkers, it wasn't very tactful. But in the end I was glad I could move up because of hard work and dedication, instead of playing the game...
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    I've been in a very similar situation at one of the world's largest publishers. Similar job, we had to upgrade almost 1300 desktops by replacing the hard disk with a new OS and applications. My coworkers were doing 4 or 5 per day, while I usually did 10 or more (installing per two, working on second while waiting for applications to install/data to be copied on the first). This didn't reflect well on my coworkers, and although I wasn't worried about popularity amongst coworkers, it wasn't very tactful. But in the end I was glad I could move up because of hard work and dedication, instead of playing the game...

I thought the most efficient way to do a project like that is to sit there and wait for everything to copy across, have a chat, twiddle your thumbs and then move on to the next. I mean will the copy work if your not watching it? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    strauchr wrote:
    I mean will the copy work if your not watching it? icon_lol.gif
    There's more to it than that. You have to constantly turn the big crank on the side of the PC and pump the pedals as well. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    jdmurray wrote:
    strauchr wrote:
    I mean will the copy work if your not watching it? icon_lol.gif
    There's more to it than that. You have to constantly turn the big crank on the side of the PC and pump the pedals as well. icon_wink.gif
    icon_eek.gif You guys are probably using a Meck with that Lunix or Linuks operating system I keep hearing about right? icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    jasoninazjasoninaz Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Add myspace to his hostlist of what hes not allowed to visit. If that does not work, have your internal network just block the site.

Call the NOC and tell them to block it at the firewall. I did that for my company and sure it really pissed a lot of people off but they are here to work and not try and get laid on myspace.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    jasoninaz wrote:
    ... and not try and get laid on myspace.
    They go to www.craigslist.org for that. icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Jumping in on the conversation a bit late...

Yes, as already mentioned....just do your thing, don't pee in this guys Wheaties and don't go over his head.

You do not need to do less then he does, but don't look like a show-off because it usually fails to make you look good even if you really are - shows more of lack of 'team-player' then a competent employee.

Hang in there! Many of us have been in a similar spot.

Isn't 'myspace' a junior-high/ high schooler hang out? Is this guy like 19 or something? SHeeze?

Just don't give them something to fire you about (by surfing the web and junk that this fellow does). He may be being watched by someone or because of the way he works (or lack of work), as its been mentioned, it might be why you do have a job.

And didn't you mention it was a local gov't job? What type of co-workers did you expect you would find? Turning a profit isn't as important as it is in coporate business (even though it shouldn't matter).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    jasoninaz wrote:
    Add myspace to his hostlist of what hes not allowed to visit. If that does not work, have your internal network just block the site.

Call the NOC and tell them to block it at the firewall. I did that for my company and sure it really pissed a lot of people off but they are here to work and not try and get laid on myspace.

icon_confused.gif:

1. His co-worker is also a tech, so editing the HOSTS is likely not to work, nor is it his responsibility to do so.
    2. Many organizations have to submit change orders to edit firewalls or proxies, having the "internal network just block the site" isn't as simple as it sounds.
    3. The "NOC" you're referring to is probably their boss, which negates the point of not droping the dime on his co-worker.

Policy should dictate the course of action for his behavior, the decision to block a site is subjective and can be viewed as mass punishment. Let the philosophy of the company set the rules for matters like this. I believe that he should keep doing his job and the situation will work out on its own.
  • Options
    Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    Continue to do your work as you have been. Don't try and kill yourself though to overcompensate for his laziness. Karma will catch up with this guy.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I would sit tight for awhile & knock a bunch work out and make it known how much you can do, then tell your sup. that he sucks. I would just do all the work you can. You might have been hired to replace him.