Options

Working for a big law firm

KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
Has anybody worked for one and cares to share the experience? I am getting really mixed reviews from the glassdoor.

Comments

• Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have and remember that they want 100% uptime, 24/7...most are not technology savvy BUT want the latest & greatest technology out there and don't know how to use it.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    What exactly has you worried?

I've been offered positions at two before but turned them down. The commonality between them was an overwhelming amount of formality. Whether it be the dress to impress bs culture or seemingly casual but not conversation. I felt like there was a lot of facetiousness and IT was on kiss ass duty. Clearly not a field for me, but could be different for you.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I worked at a law firm, not a big, doing help desk work and I only lasted a few months before I had to leave. Some of the lawyers were cool while others weren't the nicest either. I felt like a secretary as I would take calls to actually help lawyers edit documents as oppose to making sure their software and hardware were operative. They had a network team responsible for account creation, distro creation, permissions, etc. Bad experience, but the cool manager I had makes it memorable.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    shochan wrote: »
    I have and remember that they want 100% uptime, 24/7...most are not technology savvy BUT want the latest & greatest technology out there and don't know how to use it.
    I did helpdesk for a decent size accounting firm and they were the same way. Latest and greatest technology but no clue on how to use it. The partners were friendly enough but you kinda knew your place within the organization when you were providing tech support to their kids. No joke; I had to install Minecraft for a 10 year old once.

Granted this wasn't a law firm but I can't imagine they are too dissimilar.
  • Options
    Appreciate responses. 24/7 100% uptime doesn't scare me. I worked on the finance and first responder's networks. What worries me is the personal interaction between lawyers and non-lawyers. I guess there is a certain perception about this industry and snobbism toward non-lawyers; and I am not sure I would like to involve myself in this type of working environment, if it is true.
  • Options
    The positive, lots of pretty paralegals...heh
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    The positive, lots of pretty paralegals...heh
    meaning? icon_wink.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    24/7 100% uptime? Geez, I hope they have a sizable IT budget. Seem's a bit unrealistic unless you are a tech giant.
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ITSec14 wrote: »
    24/7 100% uptime? Geez, I hope they have a sizable IT budget. Seem's a bit unrealistic unless you are a tech giant.

Sounds about right, if you ever worked with a lawyer or an accountant or been married to one then you know that unrealistic expectations is part of the job. They also have a tendency to be very snobbish , in their eyes you are equal to a janitor and they will treat you accordingly. I guarantee this will be a high stress environment with very little thanks if at all, zero respect for your skill, and plenty of temper tantrums. Any "successful" lawyer or an accountant is a grade A psychopath.
  • Options
    meaning? icon_wink.gif

Don't go out with people you work with...
  • Options
    Don't go out with people you work with...
    Oh, that is a given. I thought you were alluding to something else...
  • Options
    Oh, that is a given. I thought you were alluding to something else...

Please elaborate, inquiring minds want to know
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A thousand years ago I was a temp at a big law firm for about six weeks and I would prefer not to be around them...same with CPAs...

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    Please elaborate, inquiring minds want to know
    I plead the 5th.
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hammer80 wrote: »
    Sounds about right, if you ever worked with a lawyer or an accountant or been married to one then you know that unrealistic expectations is part of the job. They also have a tendency to be very snobbish , in their eyes you are equal to a janitor and they will treat you accordingly. I guarantee this will be a high stress environment with very little thanks if at all, zero respect for your skill, and plenty of temper tantrums. Any "successful" lawyer or an accountant is a grade A psychopath.

I worked as a bank manager for a few years and let me tell you...the lawyers who had accounts with us were some of the most rude and demanding people to walk the earth. They literally act like they are royalty. I would NEVER work for a law firm.

Accountants have more to worry about, since their jobs will likely be replaced by AI in the future...
  • Options
    the.thrillseekersthe.thrillseekers Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've worked at several BIG law firms that include Cravath, Clifford Chance, and Fragomen... what I can tell you is the IT dept in each of these firms are run differently because of the technology they use. I'm currently studying for my CCNA where it will be put to good use because of the Citrix environment my current firm is on... will there be any openings, who knows - if a chance arises will I go for it - you betcha.. So depending on the technology you may see helpdesk guys do "secretary" work as one fellow here put it editing word docs or in an environment such as Citrix I'm Tier 2 (desktop) so I do a lot of admin work...

Hope this helps....
  • Options
    So you liked working there? Admin work like sys admin or like secretary?