CCNA/CCNA Security CCNP Lab questions Confused and lost :(

Muddster89Muddster89 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good Evening,

I am working on my CCNA and hopefully to my CCNA Security and maybe even CCNP at some point down the road. I was in a different career field for the military but I have recently been re-classed to one with more computer time. I have a background in Networking from college and security but zero real world applications other than in the labs I did almost 3-4 years ago. So with my new career path I would like to advance my certs and brush up on my skills again.

I have been browsing and read numerous CCNA/CCNA Security and CCNP posts on multiple different websites and it seems like everyone have different answers as to what will work for each exam.

So, i prefer hands on touching equipment, I am not opposed to packet tracer or other simulators but I dont grasp concepts as well that way, money is a huge factor right now so I was able to acquire some gear and am now curious of how useful it will be and to what extent. As i read more and more it seems each router/switch/ASA all depends on the model etc.

So these are the items will have in a couple of weeks:

3-4: 3560Gs
1-2: 5520s
1: 2960

Looking at Premium CCNA 200-125 & CCNA Security 210-260 Combo Lab Kit - CertificationKits, I see that I can upgrade that kit to the 3560-TS ( not sure if that is near to what I will have), 2960-S as a base model and a 2960-TT-L as an upgrade ( again not sure how close those are to what I will have).

I realize none of these are routers and I will need to acquire those. I am also aware that I should be getting the newest IOS available 15.x for Switches and 12.X for routers , If i recall correctly.

Now my questions are:

What would I need to make this lab able to work with the above listed items that I will be acquiring such as IOS versions, the routers that work best for being able to do CCNA Security or higher?

What models should I not look at buying?
What specifications should I be looking at before buying that an average person wouldn't know without being in the networking world?
How long can I expect the gear to last me into my certifications?

I greatly appreciate the responses in advance and I feel like just making this post is beating a dead horse with the amount of post on this topic, but I could not make heads or tails of the other posts with regards to gear I was able to pick up and what I am looking to do.

Thank you again

Comments

• clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So these are the items will have in a couple of weeks:

3-4: 3560Gs
    1-2: 5520s
    1: 2960

let see, for t he ccna you just need two L2 switches, for the ccna security just two L2 switches. Then for the ccnp, two L3 switches and two L2 switches. And, you probably could get by with just one physical L2 switch split into 2 vlans.

the 3560-ts is a 10/100 L3 switch (with the right ios). the 3560G is a gigabit L3 switch (with the right ios). Basically, for switches, having poe is more expensive, having gigabit is more expensive. And, in the lab scenario you describe, your paying more for capabilities you don't need. The 3560-ts is the cheapest option to run version 15 of the ios. Cisco doesn't support that, but it works just fine and you weren't really getting a support contract anyways.

Not sure why you are purchasing 5520's. You can do everything you need for the exam with asa5505's for half the price. and you probably only need one for starters. of course, asa software need to be at least 9.1 and asdm software at least 7.3.

you want version 15 of the ios for the routers too.

you need ISR or better routers for doing ccna security. You need ios version 15 to run CCP (cisco configuration professional). and routers prior to ISR routers can't run version 15 of the ios. You will as need at least the advsecurity feature set also. and probably should have at least the advipservices feature set as that support ipv6. And, cisco certs still have some serial wan questions on them, so I'd make sure each router had at least 2 serial wic ports. And cables for connecting them.

you'll want 3 routers for the ccna and probably 4 for the ccnp.

the equipment will work great for the current exams. When the exams are rewrittern there are no guarantees.
  • Muddster89Muddster89 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the response Clarson, I have read multiple of your responses so it is no surprise that you are the first to respond on this one.
    clarson wrote: »
    let see, for t he ccna you just need two L2 switches, for the ccna security just two L2 switches. Then for the ccnp, two L3 switches and two L2 switches. And, you probably could get by with just one physical L2 switch split into 2 vlans.

the 3560-ts is a 10/100 L3 switch (with the right ios). the 3560G is a gigabit L3 switch (with the right ios). Basically, for switches, having poe is more expensive, having gigabit is more expensive. And, in the lab scenario you describe, your paying more for capabilities you don't need. The 3560-ts is the cheapest option to run version 15 of the ios. Cisco doesn't support that, but it works just fine and you weren't really getting a support contract anyways.

By your above statement it seems like the 3-4: 3560Gs will cover my need for the L3 switches but ill have to get some L2 Switches to complete that portion.
    Not sure why you are purchasing 5520's. You can do everything you need for the exam with asa5505's for half the price. and you probably only need one for starters. of course, asa software need to be at least 9.1 and asdm software at least 7.3.

They were part of a package with the other gear, so it was all or nothing and I felt the deal was pretty decent. As for the ASA software is that just something gets upgraded because you have the gear or something needs to be paid additionally if it isnt installed on the current gear?
    you want version 15 of the ios for the routers too.

Regarding the IOS 15, from what I have been able to gather that is not always installed on the hardware and it is something needs to be purchased or find someone that has it? Does it work the same as an IOS like a new windows install?
    you need ISR or better routers for doing ccna security. You need ios version 15 to run CCP (cisco configuration professional). and routers prior to ISR routers can't run version 15 of the ios. You will as need at least the advsecurity feature set also. and probably should have at least the advipservices feature set as that support ipv6. And, cisco certs still have some serial wan questions on them, so I'd make sure each router had at least 2 serial wic ports. And cables for connecting them.

So something along these lines for the router, Cisco Integrated Services Router Cisco2821-SRST/K9, or the discontinues 1800 series ISR. While also ensuring it has advipservices feature set as that support ipv6 with 2 Serial WIC ports per router.

Again I appreciate your response and how thorough it is.