Options

CISSP Study Plan

markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
Plan is to follow my former co-workers study guide he posted on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/cissp-easy-way-30-day-plan-jeremiah-walker

I'll listen to Cybrary videos on the way to work and heading home, buy the Conrads study guide and read that at work, then read the 11th hour a week or so before the test. Plan on studying at least a couple of hours a day and probably taking it late July.

Been in a full time security role for almost a year, with admin and help desk experience before that. Think I've got a good plan? Anything else I should add?

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Looks cool. I'm gonna have to try it out even though I try to learn something and explain it to myself like I'm explaining it to someone else. Reading the AIO is very time consuming but I'm glad that I'm able to skip around in the book and just read the notes/summery of a couple of chapters.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is a good plan. I think scheduling your exam first helps you focus and keeps you on track of your studying goals. Good luck!
  • Options
    Got it scheduled for August 4th. Just under 2 months should be good enough for this I think. So far, it doesn't seem like a crazy hard exam based on the material
  • Options
    Hitting mid 60s on Sybex practice exam and about halfway done through the Official Study Guide and the Cybrary videos. Hopefully in about 3 weeks I can be doing high 70s at least
  • Options
    TheRedBar0nTheRedBar0n Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    Hitting mid 60s on Sybex practice exam and about halfway done through the Official Study Guide and the Cybrary videos. Hopefully in about 3 weeks I can be doing high 70s at least

Hows the studying going? Just started with the Sybex 7th edition. Are you reading and making notes as you go?
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm on the Sybex book too. The material is definitely not deep, but it certainly is a mile wide! Probably going to get the Conrad book next.

I'm reading through the Sybex book without notes, then I will go through it again and make notes. I feel like one good pass through can give a good introduction, then going back and taking the notes helps make it all stick since it's more familiar.
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ITSec14 wrote: »
    I'm on the Sybex book too. The material is definitely not deep, but it certainly is a mile wide! Probably going to get the Conrad book next.

I'm reading through the Sybex book without notes, then I will go through it again and make notes. I feel like one good pass through can give a good introduction, then going back and taking the notes helps make it all stick since it's more familiar.
    This is what I did during my first read of the Sybex book. During my first read I started my mindmap, with my second read I am going more in depth with my mindmap. I am also highlighting and making notes.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    I'm making notes from the Sybex book. I'm on chapter 16/21.

I ended up switching to the David Miller videos, which are definitely better than Cybrary. I'm about halfway done with those.

I originally scheduled my test for next week but I ended up pushing it back two weeks so I don't have to cram. I still want to read the 11th hour and use the Cybrary videos as a review, so I'll definitely have enough time now.
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm making notes from the Sybex book. I'm on chapter 16/21.

I ended up switching to the David Miller videos, which are definitely better than Cybrary. I'm about halfway done with those.

I originally scheduled my test for next week but I ended up pushing it back two weeks so I don't have to cram. I still want to read the 11th hour and use the Cybrary videos as a review, so I'll definitely have enough time now.

Solid plan. Good luck, keep us posted on your progress!
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    Done with David Miller videos and Sybex book. Time to review notes and take practice exams. I'll start the 11th hour next week. Test in two weeks away so I feel like I'm on a good pace.
  • Options
    So I take the test in about 8 days. I'm getting kinda nervous. As mentioned, I've gotten through the David Miller videos and the Sybex book, but I'm taking a lot of practice exams using Sybex, and I'd say the majority of them I'm getting like high 60s. I've been taking them in groups of 25-30 since I'm doing them at work mainly.

I'm about to start the 11th hour and I've been reviewing my notes. Anyone else in this situation about a week before the test? I'd be much more confident if it was in the high 70s at least.
  • Options
    You need to be doing 250 at a time like the actual test to get a feel for the time and to prep your brain.

From what I've been told, when you consistently hit in the 80's you should be ready.
  • Options
    I can do 250 on my days off or when I'm working from home, but I also am used to long tests. I can't really do them at work like that. I will try that this weekend. I guess if I'm not hitting 80s then I don't know if I should reschedule again or not.
  • Options
    Oh of course you want to do them at home. Don't want you getting in trouble at work! :)

Only reason I'd shoot for 80's is because the actual exam is guaranteed to be worded differently and probably more challenging. Just remember to think like a manager and use process of elimination. You can usually eliminate at least 1-2 answers in each question.

Keep pushing! I'm sure you will do fine.
  • Options
    It's not a matter of me getting in trouble. I only do it in my downtime. It's just I'd get interrupted too much.

Do you know of any flash cards that Safari (or otherwise) that are available? I think part of my issue is just the terms.
  • Options
    Maybe the longer exams are better for me. Took a 50 question exam and got an 80. Took a 100 question and got an 84. I felt somewhat confident but didn't realize I did that well.
  • Options
    On the 250 question I got an 84%, so I am doing fairly solid. Still need to go over the 11th hour though.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you got this!!!
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    Ugh...Yesterday I started getting a head cold. Still feeling it today. Exam is tomorrow too. If I feel better tomorrow then I should be okay, but just sucks. I rarely get sick and of course this is the week that I do.
  • Options
    Ugh...Yesterday I started getting a head cold. Still feeling it today. Exam is tomorrow too. If I feel better tomorrow then I should be okay, but just sucks. I rarely get sick and of course this is the week that I do.

**sings**
    Don't worry.... about a thing.... you gonna pass that test.... its gonna be alright....
    You woke up this morning....
    Looked at the rising sun...
    3 little birds, set by my doorstep.... singing sweet songs... a melody pure and true....
    This is my message to you, you, youuu
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    You still got 24hrs to prepare... every minute counts. You can do it. I believe in you markulous!!!!! You know why??? Because you studied and you KNOW the material!!!! Brush up on some stuff and tomorrow we will see a thread saying "Passed CISSP" You heard it here first!

just some motivation to get you pumped up and AMPED for tomorrow! don't forget to eat a good breakfast tomorrow morning, have some coffee and listen to "eye of the tiger" on the way to the testing site.... icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good luck and I believe you will do it! I know this sounds crazy, but just before you take the test, around say 1 hour to 30 minutes, eat a couple bananas. make sure you are hydrated but not so much so that you constantly take bathroom breaks.
    Believe me, I walked out of the testing room thinking I failed (the screen didn't say whether I passed or not so I assumed I failed), but when I got to the proctor's office, he congratulated me. I actually refused to believe him until he handed me my exam results.
  • Options
    redsteelredsteel Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow! just found this. You need to be drinking some Airborne vitamins ASAP. You can have up to 3 a day! Sounds like your studying has been solid.
    You are going to rock it! I'm on Ch 16 so I'm not far behind you. Probably test early October.

Get some rest and bring some earplugs!
  • Options
    I take a quality multi vitamin every day, but I've also been taking Emergen-C. I can try the Airborne ones too. I think it's viral and not an infection, so I think I have a good chance of kicking most of it by the morning. I'll try the bananas too.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck, Mark! Let me know how you did.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    redsteelredsteel Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Okay! Just maybe not Emergen C and Airborne at the same time! That would be close to 4000 mg of Vit C. Wouldn't hurt you, but don't want to find out.
  • Options
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Good luck, Mark! Let me know how you did.
    Thanks dude! I'll let you know.

On a side note, this morning while I was clearly not in the right state of mind due to my cold, I got a 69% on a the official sybex test. Considering I've been averaging about mid to low 80s, I'd say I should be okay as long as I'm better tomorrow.
  • Options
    iTamashiiTamashi Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The suspense is killing me. Good luck,mate!
  • Options
    Provisionally passed! Had to nap in the waiting room mid test to fight this sinus cold.
  • Options
    CyberJosh95CyberJosh95 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I hope you feel better soon!