Options

Disable local login

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

Does anyone know how to stop a client logging localy, we have 120 wireless laptops and on a few occasions when a user is logging in it pulls the local default profile instead of our mandatory profile, this gives them full access to the laptop. We dont know what is causing this so my question is

Q. Can each laptop be configuered so when there is no server to authenticate it does not log them on with the default local profile. This is a serious issue and we need to resolve is soon as possible.

Any help would be great

Comments

• Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    if you mean that you don't want them using the local user accounts to log on, you can grant the relevant accounts the "deny logon locally" user rights assignment.

if you mean that you don't want them to use the locally cached domain profile to log on when there is no server to authenticate them, you can configure the "interactive logon: number of previous logons to cache..." to "0" in the security options.

if you mean something else, let me know.
    witty comment
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    if you mean you don't want them to logon with the local account on the laptops but only with the domain account, remove/disable or change the password of the local accounts.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

I feel i explained incorrectly

Sometimes when a user logs in, using his domain username and password, it pulls the local deafault profile instead of the mandatory one we have set them up with, my guess is that the user is being authenticated but then there is an issue giving the user the profile so it reverts to the default local. Wild guess

Any more ideas

Thanks

Lee H
  • Options
    gabrielbtoledogabrielbtoledo Member Posts: 217
    You have to rename the profile Ntuser.dat in the folder containing the roaming profile to Ntuser.man. Hmm actually this setting is just for users that want to change their desktop but the changes won't be saved and everytime they logon the profile will be the default one without the changes they made before.
    To always use the same profile no matter what computer the users logon, you have to use roaming profiles. You can achive that going into the user's properties and specify the location of the roaming profile.
    You have to copy the user's profile to a network share and give the user right permissions to access that share.

Hope that helps.
    A+ Certified - Network+ - MCP (70-290)
    MCSA - CCNA - Security+ (soon)