Options

Antivirus - Norton vs. Microsoft thoughts?

Big-JJBig-JJ Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
My laptop is quite old and I am thinking of buying Microsoft Surface. For protection, I have been using Norton for my current laptop.

Last week I went to Microsoft store. One of the guys told me that their antivirus software (the one that comes with Surface - so, it is free) was better than that of Norton therefore I would not need to use Norton's software. But when I did some research it seems Norton performs better and offers more protection.

So, which is better? Does Microsoft Essentials provide enough protection? Using Norton on top of Microsoft antivirus software is an overkill?
MBA, CIA, CRMA, CISA, CISM, CRISC, CISSP, PMP

Comments

• Options
    boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have never used an anti-virus in my entire life.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're getting a surface you'll have Win10, so it's Windows Defender, it's actually pretty decent on Win10. You should always act like you don't have it anyway, don't rely on the AV, be careful of the sites you visit, stuff you download, etc.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    don't pay for traditional AV. use the free stuff windows comes with. the old traditional AV is all pretty much equivalent. they leapfrog over each other in terms of what they detect from day-to-day.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    +1 use the Free Windows Defender.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Avira. No to Norton (use too much resources) and to M$.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Using two AV's will drastically deplete your CPU's resources. I have improved many of aged laptops by removing some clunky AV and using Windows Defender.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For home/personal use, I don't see the point in paying for an AV solution. Windows Defender is fine for signature based stuff and it uses very little resources.

Defense in depth is your friend here and that's going to help in the long run more than which AV solution you pick. Disabled unneeded services/features, harden your group policies, use something like DNSCrypt, use OpenDNS, use common sense, etc. Get uBlock, NoScript/Umatrix, Https Everywhere, WOT, in Chrome 64-bit.
  • Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use SEP on my Macs and McAfee on my windows boxes. I don't have a problem with either.

If I didn't get access to them free I would probably purchase SEP For the Mac and use Windows Defender for Windows 10.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I will throw in RansomFree to help detect the beginning of a ransomware attack. It should kill the PID of the cryptoware that is trying to encrypt everything. Best part is that it is free for home and business use.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    My other suggestion would be MalwareBytes. Very light weight and super effective.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    oscposcp Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ironically enough when friends or family need help with an infected computer, 9 times out of 10 they already have Norton or McAfee or whatever big name antivirus someone told them to get. And if this changes your perception, even in the entry level pen testing course offensive security offers, there is an entire chapter/section entitled "Bypassing Antivirus Software" so it could be argued that even the best antivirus is still only effective against a mediocre percentage of attacks.
    Windows 10 built in security can't be any worse. However it's impossible to turn off the auto updates and auto restart in windows 10 so if you're somebody who likes to wake up to the work you were doing the night before, run from windows 10 as fast as possible.
    Like Markulous already said, you'd be much better learning safe computer habits and using a few hardening tools than you would be trusting a signature based AV to keep your computer safe while you click every link and open every email in sight