Options

Once I finish CISSP, can I quit getting certifications?

packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
Once I finish CISSP, can I quit getting certifications, work 9-5, and spend my free time building bicycles?

Comments

• Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can do what ever you feel like doing!
  • Options
    boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No, you are a slave to IT.

An an old network engineer told me once, the only thing to change in 20 years is IPV6.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No quit before you get CISSP.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You playing.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    You can quit certifications but I wouldn't recommend stopping learning if you would like to keep your IT career going
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Like others have mentioned, certifications YES, skills NO.............
  • Options
    TankerTTankerT Member Posts: 132
    It depends on two things. 1- How the CISSP holds up over the long term. 2- What you want to do with your career.
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My question is...are you sure this is the career you want?
  • Options
    You can quit certifications but I wouldn't recommend stopping learning if you would like to keep your IT career going

Sounds good to me
  • Options
    ITSec14 wrote: »
    My question is...are you sure this is the career you want?

.-~Yes~-.
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends on your career goals & life situation..
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I thought the same after a few other certs... One month later, I'm searching for the next new thing to tackle and learn. :)

It never ends. It's kinda fun, but somewhere in the middle you want to just say "this is the last one! NEVER AGAIN!".
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    also depends if you apply for a company and they want another type of certification.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CISSP has held its value for quite a long time, comparatively speaking in IT security...having said that, there will come a day when CISSP is less relevant and then you will probably want to ramp up for some other cert (whatever that might be at the time...)
  • Options
    Learning is good. Just kind of tired of paying for tests.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    There's no rule that says you have to pay for test or continuing paying for test. That being said, if you're learning the content that's part of a blueprint for a prestigious exam that will get you a lot of notice when employers, might not be bad to take the exam :) At a certain point in your career, employers should be offering to pay for that stuff and training to some degree.

It's ultimately up to you on what you choose. You won't go stale as long as you keep learning.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    dstock7337dstock7337 Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Once I finish CISSP, can I quit getting certifications, work 9-5, and spend my free time building bicycles?

I understand the feeling. You could go that route. However, I would advise keeping a pulse on the market. A cert that is popular today may not be in the future.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd recommend opening a bicycle shop on your free time.
  • Options
    dstock7337dstock7337 Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This ^^^
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I think this question speaks pretty deeply to the soul of a lot of people on here. I think quite a few would like to quit but can't. Just one more hit!

IT is pretty bad for professional development requirements. Some roles aren't as bad as others. High level security policy and governance type stuff is probably less dynamic than pentesting or malware analysis. Networking is a bit more stable than systems. Project management can get you away from a lot of the hands on technical things. Basically, the more 'technical' or 'hands on' the role, the more you are forced to run to keep up as the technology changes.

So even if you stop the formal certifications, you still need to keep learning to some degree just to stay in the same position. If you are lucky, you might be able to do most or all of that on company time.

CISSP could offer a path into roles that are less heavy on that requirement, but there's no guarantees.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    OztexsOztexs Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    after i get my CISSP i want to get into cloud sec .. not really covered in CISSP

plus crpyto alogrithms will be cracked at the rate of technlogy these days ..