Options

Studying to recertify for my Network+ Feeling dumb

Kend9388Kend9388 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I feel dumb. Anyone else feel dumb? I think its because I put a lot of pressure on myself to know the basics of IT. I got my A+ cert 800 series and then my Net+ N10-005. I have until April 2018 to recertify before both my A+ and Net+ expires. All I have to do is study and pass the Net+ N10-006 and it will renew both of my certs. Problem is with my last job I was not applying my knowledge at all and now I feel like I completely forgot everything. I'm studying now again for the new Net+ exam and it seems difficult. My question is, anyone ever feel like this? Like you study so hard for something and then you lose it all? I feel like im starting from scratch again. Did this ever happen to anyone, if so what did you forget? Did you ever lose a cert because of it? I want to recertify and actually learn networking again. Then I want to move on and earn other certs like an MCSA in windows servers.

Comments

• Options
    boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    do yourself a favor and just get the Security+
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You don't need to retake the Net+ to renew your certs. Take a few minutes and read what CompTIA says about continuing education and CEUs.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    ThePuterGeekThePuterGeek Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Stress happens to all of us. Buckle down and study. I am going through the same issue now. It is coming back to me though. It will come back to you too. We can all become forgetful if we set something down for a while. Take a deep breath.
  • Options
    do yourself a favor and just get the Security+

Easier said than done. I have limited time. Dont have time to study for something completely new yet.
  • Options
    Yeah I know. But I dont have nearly enough CEU's.
  • Options
    Stress happens to all of us. Buckle down and study. I am going through the same issue now. It is coming back to me though. It will come back to you too. We can all become forgetful if we set something down for a while. Take a deep breath.

Thanks for the encouragement. The stress is real. You're right though!
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you don't mind me asking, why do you want/need to renew them? That information is key to us providing you with better suggestions.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kend9388 wrote: »
    Easier said than done. I have limited time. Dont have time to study for something completely new yet.

That's the whole point. You'll actually save time by just going for the Security+. You said in your original post you have until April 2018 to renew. That's 9-10 months! You can study for the Security+ in 3-4 weeks part-time. Maybe spend 5-6 weeks just to be safe. It's do-able.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are wanting to stay on the CompTIA track then i'd say like everyone else to get another one (SEC+). Or don't even worry to that level and start chasing a more complex cert track that will really expose you into that realm of tech. CCNA for example to get into the networking world.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    I agree with Skylinez. My Network+ expires in 2020 and I'm already studying for my CCNA which seems more popular and valuable certification.

By the time its 2020, I hope to achieve higher level certs and further my career to a more technical position.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Plus I have never met an employer who is desperate for me to have my A+ or Net+ renewed, and if they do, they aren't worth my time. I wouldn't work for a company who praises a valid A+ cert over an MCSE.

I agree, praising, or valuing an A+ over an MCSE would be very odd. Having said that, some companies, such as government contractors, have contract requirements that force them to maintain a certain percentage of A+, Net+, or more likely, Sec+ certified individuals. If that was the case, I could understand their focus on those rather than higher level certifications. I doubt, though, that they would ignore the fact that someone had higher level certs, though.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me