Options

Is Tech Support I.T?

ZzLuLzZzLuLz Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello people, I have a question. So I do Tech Support for a small but growing web-hosting company, Since it's a small company I'm exposed to other roles. Is Tech Support considered an I.T job? Can I use this as I.T experience?

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It depends on what you are supporting. Generally speaking, if it touches IT resources (desktops, servers, switches, routers, etc), then it is IT experience.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes unless you're doing application support (helping users with a specific application). I.e. mostly telling users which button to click. In this case, you're closer to customer service than IT, though this type of work would easily let you transfer into entry-level IT like helpdesk anyway.

As long as you're helping with IT issues, you're in IT.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes. .
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    zeitgeist29zeitgeist29 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There's a call center near me that is tech support but it's for verizon phones. I wish it would count more so toward real tech experience but im not sure that it would.
  • Options
    ZzLuLzZzLuLz Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well being I work with web-hosting clients, I work with servers, email, and DNS issues. What I mainly get in tickets is email issues mx records are missing and such.
  • Options
    Bjcheung77Bjcheung77 Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ZzLuLz wrote: »
    Well being I work with web-hosting clients, I work with servers, email, and DNS issues. What I mainly get in tickets is email issues mx records are missing and such.

Yup, as the other members have mentioned. What you do is considered IT.
    The tech support work you do encompasses IT. Keep on rocking IT....