Options

web server

skivesskives Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was wondering where I can get a web sever for cheap? I want to host my own website and also just be able to play around with the sever for some experience. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What do you suppose a web server to be. If you are mentioning hardware then any sufficiently current PC will do unless you wish to put RAID or other reducnancy in it. For server software cheap in this case means free. The most used web server on the net is Apache which comes in Linux, Unix, Mac and Windows flavors. The Windows version is easy to set up on most any XP Pro system running as a background service and monitored in the tray, or on win 2k if you have an older system.

Go to http://www.apache.org/ and read up on it. Look on the lower right side for the download links. :D
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    skivesskives Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the problem is that i am running Windows XP Home Edition.
  • Options
    drewm320drewm320 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Shouldn't matter. Apache will work on XP Home. I wouldn't recommend using that for actually running a website accessible from the Internet because of the lack of file security in XP Home. Should be perfectly good to play around with internally though.
  • Options
    You know, while I said Pro, I can't think of a reason why it would not install on XP Home. You don't need IIS or dual core or hyper thread or dual CPU. Unless someone is beating on you hard Apache overhead is fairly low and if it does not run as a service you can run it in a hidden console/command window. None of my play systems at work have "XP Home" nor do the 9 systems in my home lab. All have 2K, XP Pro, OS/2, BSD or a Linux distro so I have no direct experience running it on "XP Home". I'm not sure of all the butchering that was done to XP Home to prevent it from doing some networking things that Win98 and Me can still do like painlessly joining a domain. While I know hacks exist to fix that I just groaned and never really used it. No I did not call your baby ugly :)

Download it and give it a try. Here is another specific link you may wish to visit which is part of the developer shed network.
    http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Apache/Installing-and-Configuring-Apache-2-on-a-Windows-XP-Machine/
  • Options
    Glad you answered also drewm320. I hate getting called when I am in the middle of posting a reply.