Atlanta Job Market

mizterkewlmizterkewl MemberAgrabahMember Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am currently in DC and considering moving back to Atlanta. How's the IT job market down there? Anyone in Security?

Comments

  • $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    Good if you have any kind of prior security experience. I am in general IT support and it has been hard. Especially, if you haven't used the tools that they use.
  • mizterkewlmizterkewl Member AgrabahMember Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
    $bvb379 wrote: »
    Good if you have any kind of prior security experience. I am in general IT support and it has been hard. Especially, if you haven't used the tools that they use.


    I'm in IT Support as well. What are some tools you feel are common tools they are asking for?
  • Cyber_spaceCyber_space Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am looking for a new role in InfoSec (engineering/vulnerability management) in the Atlanta area. There is a growing sector of jobs in the Alpharetta area. I am looking more towards the downtown Atlanta but there is a stable of market in IT and security. What exactly are you for?
  • $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    I would love to get an entry level job in security but I keep getting beat out by kids out of college with degrees and no actual experience.
  • mizterkewlmizterkewl Member AgrabahMember Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
    $bvb379 wrote: »
    I would love to get an entry level job in security but I keep getting beat out by kids out of college with degrees and no actual experience.

    Do you have a degree or just certs?
  • $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    mizterkewl wrote: »
    Do you have a degree or just certs?

    Everything listed under my name and 1.3 years as a "Network Support Engineer" about 70% desktop support 30% real networking.
  • Cyber_spaceCyber_space Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can refer you to some people that have reached out to me but I think the key component is what you will accept as a starting salary especially for entry level. I know some roles that start between 50 - 60k. If thats in your range I can forward the info. If that isn't in your range then it will be a tougher time not transitioning from a current security role.
  • $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    I can refer you to some people that have reached out to me but I think the key component is what you will accept as a starting salary especially for entry level. I know some roles that start between 50 - 60k. If thats in your range I can forward the info. If that isn't in your range then it will be a tougher time not transitioning from a current security role.

    Please PM me with info. I am making peanuts right now so that range is perfect.

    Thanks.
  • LA2LA2 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I want to say that the IT field in in the metro Atlanta area is booming. There are a lot of opportunities here for security as well. Many companies have corporate offices headquartered in the metro area. It helps, to have a clearance for some of the govt contract positions, but the need for a clearance is nowhere near the same for the DC-MD-VA area. You will more than likely find an abundance of entry and mid level positions here with a salary range from $60k-$80k. I feel that if you post your resume on job boards/linkedin with a brief objective statement/summary emphasizing your desire to work in security, you'll have no problem finding a position.
  • $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    LA2 wrote: »
    I want to say that the IT field in in the metro Atlanta area is booming. There are a lot of opportunities here for security as well. Many companies have corporate offices headquartered in the metro area. It helps, to have a clearance for some of the govt contract positions, but the need for a clearance is nowhere near the same for the DC-MD-VA area. You will more than likely find an abundance of entry and mid level positions here with a salary range from $60k-$80k. I feel that if you post your resume on job boards/linkedin with a brief objective statement/summary emphasizing your desire to work in security, you'll have no problem finding a position.

    I am currently only on Indeed right now. The tagline on my resume says "seeking a career in information security." I have stayed away from Monster and Career Builder because of all the spam/non-related jobs I get but maybe I should hop back on. My LinkedIn toggle for "seeking a new position" is on as well.
Sign In or Register to comment.