Options

XP Pro Question concerning network setup wizard

BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
Last night I setup my wife's computer with a wireless NIC and went thru the wireless network wizard and setup it up (because the dlink window wouldnt open until i opened that). then i disabled the windows wireless configuration.

After that, it keeps showing up with the wireless connection in the network connection window but also has a Internet Gateway?? I tried rerunning the network setup wizard and disabling ics/icf in services, removing the nic, ddisabling the nic, etc. but nothing seems to help. Now this Internet Gateway is showing up on my computer as well (both computers connected to a wireless dlink router). the wireless client is setup with dhcp, mine is connected with cat5 and a static ip add.

Anyone know how to get rid of this? I saw something about UPnP on the Technet webpage but until i installed the wireless NIC i didnt have this problem

Any help would be most appreciated.
Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

Comments

• Options
    icon_evil.gif
    Mark Twain

• Options
    ArbeiderArbeider Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You see the gateway within your network connections as a icon? Then you probably have UPNP installed. It's a service which you can remove through add/remove programs and then windows setup or whatever it's called. Good luck!

[edit]
    Oh now I see you fixed... Was the above the solution?
    [/edit]
    Certifications: ITILF / MCP / MCDST
    Passed the: EX0-100 / 70-270 / 70-271 / 70-272 / 70-290
    Next to do: 70-284 / 70-285 / 70-291 / 70-293 / 70-294 / 70-297 / 70-298 / 70-299 / 70-350
  • Options
    UPnP was the solution. After looking high and low all over Technet and not finding anything, I looked at the good ole' XP Help file and low and behold it said it was an addon to networking components and to go into Advanced and remove it.

Thanks for the response though. I was pulling my hair out. I still dont know what would have installed that though. I was going to look for the culprit but I think I will leave well enough alone. :D
    Mark Twain