Options

Latest Net+ update vs CCENT

boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been searching the forums for a recent similar question.

How much more material is covered by the CCENT than the Net+?

Does the CCENT get deep into command line with the Cisco IOS or is it mostly theory related concepts?

At this point does it make more sense to go the CCNA route or to go the 2 test route with the ICND1?

I am only asking because I am about to drop about $500 on material and lab equipment tomorrow so I want to know I get the right setup including potentially getting a test voucher and setting a date.
Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.

Comments

• Options
    Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i just sat the net+ n10-006 about 8 weeks ago. And im 3/4 way through my icnd1 material

CCENT + NET+ = subnetting (thats one similarity) thats main similarity , apart from that net+ will mention things like RIPv2 and OSPF BGP etc which will also be tested on in icnd1 and 2.Also the OSI model.

There are def a lot of similarities as its a networking exam but the cisco one imo is tougher.

NET+ is more question based as in know your standards speeds/cabling etc whereas from what i'm seeing in the CCENT it is heavily based on Cisco commands (cisco exam afterall) and actual hands on configuring and understanding outputs.
    I'd say whatever equipment u get for the ccent will also do for the net+ i think a standard any name router is plenty for net+ and if you get switches as well you will be well covered.

As for my personal opinion , i think CCENT(CCNA) is a tougher exam than net+ , as it is more hands on and less memorization , i am yet to sit it tho . And when i was researching the 1 or 2 exams route from what i seen the 2 exams was for people like me who don't have actual hands on experience (at work etc) whereas if u already have cisco experience then 1 exam.

But i did see a thread on here other day lots saying going 1 exam route. (maybe personal preference)
  • Options
    NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    I'm going the 2 exam route so I can focus on the CCENT material, make sure I understand the fundamentals before moving onto the CCNA.

Are you sure about spending so much money on material and lab equipment?

I recommend giving packet tracer a go. It's free and I've heard it's enough to pass the CCNA and you can do 90% of the hands on material.

So far I've spent about $50-$80 on study material for CCENT. I've recently bought Todd's book which came with a free 30 day trial for IT Pro TV.

Also have Chris Bryant's udemy course, great course with tons of videos for both the CCENT and CCNA, all for $10.
  • Options
    do you really think packet tracer is enough?

I am going to get Todd's book and a CCNA Lab book. Currently doing some VLAN labs tutorials I found on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1OFEme0G4c&index=2&list=PLudEgGG2Ote0M44h9Q8wXTzDnywjdljry&t=214s

Actually here is the tutorial check it out.

That's what I was thinking as well. Some people say go the CCNA route because it's easier but I'm not really going for easy I am kinda hoping to do the CCNP next so..
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @boxerboy1168

Here is the low down.

If you have no network experience these are my suggestions: Real equipment for that hands on experience (topics like tftp stuff, backups, password recover will make more sense) + Packet tracer and GNS3 for full labs

Real equipment:
    1 x router pretty much any 2600 series router is fine and dirt cheap
    1 x switch make it a Layer 3 switch if you can like a 3560.

Packet tracer is free!! Cisco Networking Academy uses it!
    GNS3 requires ios images if you can get them go for GNS3 for most of your labbing

If you have experience, just use Packet tracer and GNS3. Don't waste your money if you have experience with Cisco routers and switches.
  • Options
    Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    do you really think packet tracer is enough?

I am going to get Todd's book and a CCNA Lab book. Currently doing some VLAN labs tutorials I found on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1OFEme0G4c&index=2&list=PLudEgGG2Ote0M44h9Q8wXTzDnywjdljry&t=214s

Actually here is the tutorial check it out.

That's what I was thinking as well. Some people say go the CCNA route because it's easier but I'm not really going for easy I am kinda hoping to do the CCNP next so..

I have a physical lab and I put it to the side for packet tracer once I had a full grasp of everything.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Options
    Ok settles that then thanks again guys!
  • Options
    CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I first sat for the CCENT, I didn't know there would be configuration simulations on the exam....I failed. I had only been working in network engineer for 1-1/2 years. My job was being in the NOC, so I didn't have experience building basic network from the ground up. PacketTracer was my savior and helped me pass the 2nd time around. Every network professional has their preference on whether software or hardware is better to help with understanding network configurations and troubleshooting. I used PacketTracer to prep for the CCENT, CCNA, & CCNP (route/switch) exams and was able to perform 95% of the commands needed to pass. Good luck!