Options

Getting back into the IT field...Where should I Start ?

choochoohigginschoochoohiggins Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey, I have the A+, Net+, and CNE5 certs .. I left the field after the company I was working for phased out netware, hired a MCSE and lowered my pay. I Ended up looking for another job, and ended up having to change fields and became a Train Conductor for a number of years. Unfortunately I wasn't a very good train conductor and am looking to get back into the IT field. I know I need to get my Microsoft certs, but I see that some certs are expiring and I can find information on how to upgrade my current Microsoft certs (if I had those) I learn by hands on, so I'll probably be building myself a system and reading books and watching videos while I actually perform the tasks..rather than taking a boot camp or a bunch of practice tests where you just memorize the answers. Can I Start off with the Windows 10 70-698 or 70-697 for my MCP ? That looks like the place that I need to start but I would like to make sure.

Comments

• Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm doing the Windows 10 MCSA right now. It's a good place to start, yes. It leads very quickly into Windows Server 2016 as there is some crossover. Also, MCSE: Mobility is one exam right after.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you know what type of role you would want to get into? I would figure that out first, then choose the right cert(s) to compliment the role.
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CyberSecurity is the hot thing now. You might want to look at Security+ as a stepping stone into the field...

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Netware was so cool in its day. Sorry to hear that you were screwed like that. Have you applied to any positions yet?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....