Passed CISSP 6 July 2017

jayaleemjayaleem Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello, I just passed the CISSP exam today. It took me around 3 hours with out any breaks. I found the CASP exam more difficult than this one. Don't get me wrong, the CISSP exam was not easy by any means...I wasn't 100 percent sure I passed. I achieved the CASP Cert about a year ago and I found a lot of the information from this CASP book: CASP-002 Cert Guide, by Robin Abernathy was helpful in passing CISSP.

I have read the majority of the CISSP books and watched the majority of videos, the easiest book for reading is the Sybex 7th edition Official Guide. This book is a great introduction and the practice questions are good as well, however there is gaps and it will be difficult to pass the exam just reading that book. The CBK 4th Edition basically answers the majority of the questions on the exam however it is a monster size book and a dull read. I read it twiceicon_sad.gif

Best videos is the Cybrary by Kelly, and the Sari Greene series. She has a 24 hour series that was an excellent resource, these videos really filled in the gaps. I have a Safari books online account and her video can be found there, she also has a 6 hour exam prep that was beneficial as well.

Best practice questions is the Sybex Practice tests that is about a year old, these are about as close you going to get to the exam as you can get. I was getting around 78% for each domain, some domains I was getting lower so I went back to the CBK and re-read those domains that I was weak at which was a huge help.

I have 12 years of system admin work, and 6 years as an Information Assurance Security Officer. Some questions I was able to answer by experience.

Comments

• sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • safernandezsafernandez Member Posts: 15 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jayaleem wrote: »
    Hello, I just passed the CISSP exam today. It took me around 3 hours with out any breaks. I found the CASP exam more difficult than this one. Don't get me wrong, the CISSP exam was not easy by any means...I wasn't 100 percent sure I passed. I achieved the CASP Cert about a year ago and I found a lot of the information from this CASP book: CASP-002 Cert Guide, by Robin Abernathy was helpful in passing CISSP.

I have read the majority of the CISSP books and watched the majority of videos, the easiest book for reading is the Sybex 7th edition Official Guide. This book is a great introduction and the practice questions are good as well, however there is gaps and it will be difficult to pass the exam just reading that book. The CBK 4th Edition basically answers the majority of the questions on the exam however it is a monster size book and a dull read. I read it twiceicon_sad.gif

Best videos is the Cybrary by Kelly, and the Sari Greene series. She has a 24 hour series that was an excellent resource, these videos really filled in the gaps. I have a Safari books online account and her video can be found there, she also has a 6 hour exam prep that was beneficial as well.

Best practice questions is the Sybex Practice tests that is about a year old, these are about as close you going to get to the exam as you can get. I was getting around 78% for each domain, some domains I was getting lower so I went back to the CBK and re-read those domains that I was weak at which was a huge help.

I have 12 years of system admin work, and 6 years as an Information Assurance Security Officer. Some questions I was able to answer by experience.

Congrats!

78% of the achievements on the first try? In some I have that average, in others I do not. Obviously I improved on the second attempt.
  • jayaleemjayaleem Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In all domains except for Asset Security and Security Assessment/Testing, I averaged in the mid sixties. I went back and studied the CBK for those two domains and did practice test for those domains and improved my scores to around 80%
  • clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • safernandezsafernandez Member Posts: 15 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jayaleem wrote: »
    In all domains except for Asset Security and Security Assessment/Testing, I averaged in the mid sixties. I went back and studied the CBK for those two domains and did practice test for those domains and improved my scores to around 80%

Perfect. Why not give me 80% on the first try. I did it in the second one, once I understood that I was wrong! Beyond that, I hope the questions are more experience-oriented! Regards!
  • CERTS4LADYCERTS4LADY Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Big Congrats. Thanks for sharing the feedback.
  • kashv29kashv29 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,
    Congrats !
    could you please tell me what kind of questions had come, i mean difficulty level ? how were questions from each domain? especially form domain 4 and domain 8? did they ask too much technical questions?
    Thank you
  • jayaleemjayaleem Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The questions are not difficult or too technical. The difficulty is how the questions are worded and there are at least two answers (the majority of the time) that could be right. For some reason, my exam was heavy on the SDLC. Fortunately I studied all the SDLC frameworks and was able to weed out KEY WORDS in the question that fits a framework. Basically, this is what you have to do to pass. Read the question at least twice, and eliminate the wrong answers. There was only about 15-20 questions that I immediately knew the answer too.
  • darkestclowndarkestclown Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the insights. I an contemplating the CISSP and only want to read the one book. I am using to "dry" Cisco books, and would rather just have the one source if possible, so I will look at the CBK 4th Ed. Congrats on the certification -it's great feeling and well deserved.
  • kashv29kashv29 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot !