Making notes when preparing for certification exam is a good idea?

swiftyx61swiftyx61 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, i know that the question i asked is pretty much hilarious but i feel confused when it comes to making notes. I just want to know how you people prepare for your exams. When it comes to me i don't make notes as most of the time i find it easy to remember most of the things i've read from the books. So should i make notes while preparing for certification exams or not? Any kind of help or suggestion is welcomed.

Comments

• Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    What certs have you successfully gained without making notes?
  • bootboot Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So should i make notes while preparing for certification exams or not?

Don't do something that doesn't benefit you.

There are many reasons to make notes:
    • Open book exams, an index makes it easier to look things up
    • Writing notes helps you remember, even if you don't use them. Write notes in your own words (don't quote the book verbatim), this makes you reflect on the text more. Write notes by hand, makes your brain work with the text even more (typing it doesn't have the same effect).
    • When you are going to use the skill the cert says you have, your notes can be valuable to remind you of the tiny tidbits that fall through the cracks in your memories.

This isn't what you have to do, this is what some people choose to do to help themselves, and why. People are individuals, there isn't a one size fits all study technique. Find the technique(s) that work well with your brain. Prove to yourself that they work by succeeding at your studies. If you're failing, revisit your technique.
    i find it easy to remember most of the things i've read from the books.

I'm similar, but over time I see that details fall through the cracks. Writing notes just for the sake of writing them (not picking them up and reading later) is beneficial. Doesn't make my memory perfect, but I can read actual notes to remind me of the tiniest tidbits.
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Treat studying for certification exams the same way you treat studying for any other exams you've had in school. Use the same method(s) that have already proven valuable to you.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • swiftyx61swiftyx61 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Welly_59 wrote: »
    What certs have you successfully gained without making notes?

I'm just 16 and i'm looking to get into IT. I'm just asking for ideas and experiences. ATM i have no certifications at all. I've took admission in Computer Science engineering, classes will start from next month :)
  • swiftyx61swiftyx61 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    boot wrote: »
    Don't do something that doesn't benefit you.

There are many reasons to make notes:
    • Open book exams, an index makes it easier to look things up
    • Writing notes helps you remember, even if you don't use them. Write notes in your own words (don't quote the book verbatim), this makes you reflect on the text more. Write notes by hand, makes your brain work with the text even more (typing it doesn't have the same effect).
    • When you are going to use the skill the cert says you have, your notes can be valuable to remind you of the tiny tidbits that fall through the cracks in your memories.

This isn't what you have to do, this is what some people choose to do to help themselves, and why. People are individuals, there isn't a one size fits all study technique. Find the technique(s) that work well with your brain. Prove to yourself that they work by succeeding at your studies. If you're failing, revisit your technique.

I'm similar, but over time I see that details fall through the cracks. Writing notes just for the sake of writing them (not picking them up and reading later) is beneficial. Doesn't make my memory perfect, but I can read actual notes to remind me of the tiniest tidbits.

Thank you for your suggestion.
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    swiftyx61 wrote: »
    I'm just 16 and i'm looking to get into IT. I'm just asking for ideas and experiences. ATM i have no certifications at all. I've took admission in Computer Science engineering, classes will start from next month :)

You will need to make notes. Some of the certifications you will be studying can take a year or so to complete. Asking anyone to remember all the minute details is crazy. Get in a good habit now while young, it will help you loads in the future