New to Linux. Which certification route should I take for Linux security?

ankurj.hazarikaankurj.hazarika Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Friends-

I know absolutely nothing about Linux. Which certification route should I take for Linux security?

Thanks,
Ankur

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would start with doing a search in your local area for certifications that are needed. If, for instance, there is demand for Red Hat, then they have some certs that are more security-focused within the Linux certification field. Otherwise, almost all others touch on setting SELinux or iptables and such. Outside of that, you seem to have the basic security certification (Sec+), so pairing it with the LPIC-1, RHCSA, or LFCS certifications (general admin certs) should get you moving in the right direction.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • ankurj.hazarikaankurj.hazarika Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you're new to Linux start with the Linux+ exams (LX0-103 + LX0-104). It would also be worth setting up a few VMs to practice on. You won't be able to learn a whole new OS just by reading books. Set up an Ubuntu system and a CentOS system to get a feel for the difference between the GUI and command-based.

You can move onto the RHCSA after that if you choose to go down the Redhat route. I'm already going straight for that as I have experience in Redhat, and based on previous companies I've worked at, it seems like one of the main Linux OS's used in a lot of Sysadmin roles.

What books would you recommend for RHCSA? And also any videos?
  • phatrikphatrik Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What books would you recommend for RHCSA? And also any videos?

[FONT=&amp]I passed my RHCSA v6 with Michael Jang's book and I've seen [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Asghar Ghori's name mentioned quite a few times so I decided to pickup both:

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
    https://www.amazon.ca/RHCSA-RHCE-Red-Enterprise-Linux/dp/1495148203/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1501725891&sr=1-1&keywords=rhcsa+7

https://www.amazon.ca/RHCSA-Linux-Certification-Study-Seventh/dp/0071841962/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1501725505&sr=8-3&keywords=rhcsa+7

I'd rather pay an extra 30$ then have to sit for the exam a second time @ $400.

Being totally new to Linux, you might want to start off with something like LinuxAcademy:

https://linuxacademy.com/courses

I've heard (read) nothing but good things about them and it's only $30/m
    2018 goals: Security+, CCNA CyberOps (Cohort #6), eJPT, CCNA R&S 2019 goals: RHCE ????, OSCP || CISSP
  • GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    Hi Friends-

I know absolutely nothing about Linux. Which certification route should I take for Linux security?

Thanks,
    Ankur

I was on the Red Hat site today looking at the numerous Red Hat offerings in India. I was not aware of the online subscriptions that were available through Red Hat. Long story short, Red Hat training is the cheapest in India then in 96% of all countries on God's green earth.

I would skip any other linux introduction and certification unless it is Red Hat. Your situation is unlike anyone who gave you suggestions.

Red Hat training is thousands of dollars cheaper in your country than in the US. I plan on participating in the Red Hat offerings that your country has to offer at discounted rates. I plan on going to India this year. Although I said that last year, I do plan on going this year. I can get some great training at 70% less than what it would cost in America. I have every intention on going to India this year. I know two people who have went to India for Information Technology (IT) based training. One went for Cisco training and the other for PMI (PMP). Why pay overpriced US rates if I don't have to? I will not continue to do such a thing!

I went to a SANS event in Germany last year. The hotel ALONE not including any other cost could have paid for two Red Hat courses. I could have been RHCE with the total cost of attending training in Germany.

Go to google. Type in Red Hat India. Click on the first link you see. Find an authorized training location in India...Then contact them. For the price of the two Linux+ exams you can pay for RHCSA training and have money left over. The heck with Linux+. If you can afford to pay for the two Linux exams you can afford to pay for RHCSA training and higher. If you need links I will give them to you. I am confident your 45 seconds of research will backup everything I said and keep you off the CompTia website.

If you are financially not able to do the above...go with linux academy.