Options

Bouncing back up

dieoxdieox Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
How do you get back up after you've failed or messed up something at work? icon_redface.gif

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Man up to it right away, fix whatever you messed up, move on and don't let it happen again.

People screw up all the time and it happens to everybody. So much easier admit to things when you screw up (the sooner the better) and as long as you do whatever you can fix the problem and make it better, most people will not care that it happened and appreciate the fact you took responsibility for your actions.

Messing up and failing are just learning opportunities. Unless I screwed up so bad it got me fired I wouldn't let it bother me at all. Even if I did get fired, there are other jobs out there...
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    admit it, learn from it and move on.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Own the mistake. Mad props to those who take responsibility.

[video]https://youtu.be/phr1pOFK1V8[/video]
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Admit that you made a mistake and fix it.

When ever you change something or put something in place, make sure you research as much as you can first. If you can lab it out.. thats even better.

Shoot, I had an engineer kinda give me props for admitting my mistake of tracing a cable back to the wrong place.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Press ANY KeyPress ANY Key Member Posts: 25 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am sure we have all been there before.

There was a time when I was young and thought I knew it all. One time, an experienced IT person advised me to back up some data before I do any troublshooting. I completely ignored him and did things my way. Of course, I lost all the data and had confess to everyone what happened. Was it embarrassing? You better believe it was but it was also a learning experience.

The sooner you admit to your mistake, the better it will be for you. If you don't understand something like the Exchange server or Network routing, ask questions before you blow something up :)

Do you mind sharing what happened to you?
  • Options
    dieoxdieox Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□

Do you mind sharing what happened to you?

It isn't actually critical, I'm just embarrassed I over looked some things

I was working on total of 5 projects, all completed successfully except one and I made myself look like a fool. Problem is you can't really say well everything else has been completed 100% and they are complete since you are focusing on the one that you did run into an issue by over looking somethings. Frankly, this really is my fault since I'm the one who should know what is the issue when I have been handed something below par. Everything else is working out great, this one thing that I messed up on is burning me

It isn't a critical function either, just some thing I over looked and made myself look like I have no idea what I am doing or involved with... Thanks for listening, but truth is I wont let it bother me that much, I have achieved far more than this and one mistake isn't something I should let hold me back
    icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
  • Options
    joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Happens to us all.