Options

Estimated cost of CISM exam and study materials?

BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
I registered on the ISACA site and got pesting phone calls and emails from sales people - I'd rather not talk to.

Can anyone share their prep methodology and total costs to take the exam?

Would you recommend the CISM bootcamp? Is it the kind of bootcamp that you should take the exam as soon as possible, or better to spend a few weeks studying materials?

Comments

• Options
    Teddyp15Teddyp15 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    BillHoo wrote: »
    I registered on the ISACA site and got pesting phone calls and emails from sales people - I'd rather not talk to.

Can anyone share their prep methodology and total costs to take the exam?

Would you recommend the CISM bootcamp? Is it the kind of bootcamp that you should take the exam as soon as possible, or better to spend a few weeks studying materials?

I primarily used the CISM Question Database and passed easily. I wouldn't recommend spending money on a bootcamp. The Question DB is $185 for Isaca members and well worth the investment.
  • Options
    Looking on the ISACA site, I see that the ISACA CISM Review Manual is 292 pages and costa about $140 for non-members. Sounds like a skinny book!

How long do hey give you access to the CISM Question Database after you pay for the subscription?
  • Options
    Aaah!

Just found it:
    Looks like I can save $50 if I join and buy the book and the database subscription.

https://www.isaca.org/bookstore/Pages/CISM-Exam-Resources.aspx

CISM Review Questions, Answers & Explanations Database • 12 Month Subscription

After purchase, please login to your ISACA account and go to your MyISACA tab. Scroll down to the yellow button on the left that says "Review QAE Databases" and click there. You will then be able to launch the database subscription that you purchased.
    CISM® Review Questions, Answers & Explanations Database - 12 Months
    The CISM® Review Questions, Answers & Explanations Database is a comprehensive 1000-question pool of items that contains the questions from the CISM® Review Questions, Answers & Explanations Manual 9th Edition.
    The database is available via the web, allowing our CISM candidates to log in at home, at work or anywhere they have Internet connectivity. The database is MAC and Windows compatible.
    Exam candidates can take sample exams with randomly selected questions and view the results by job practice domain, allowing for concentrated study in particular areas. Additionally questions generated during a study session are sorted based on previous scoring history, allowing CISM candidates to identify their strengths and weaknesses and focus their study efforts accordingly.
    Other features provide the ability to select sample exams by specific job practice domain, view questions that were previously answered incorrectly and vary the length of study sessions, giving candidates the ability to customize their study approach to fit their needs.
    After purchase, you can access this course by visiting your MyISACA page and clicking CISM Question Database Button.
    TOPIC
    >Published by ISACA, CISM Exam Resources

DESCRIPTION
  • Options
    Teddyp15Teddyp15 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    BillHoo wrote: »
    Aaah!

Just found it:
    Looks like I can save $50 if I join and buy the book and the database subscription.

https://www.isaca.org/bookstore/Pages/CISM-Exam-Resources.aspx

CISM Review Questions, Answers & Explanations Database • 12 Month Subscription

After purchase, please login to your ISACA account and go to your MyISACA tab. Scroll down to the yellow button on the left that says "Review QAE Databases" and click there. You will then be able to launch the database subscription that you purchased.
    CISM® Review Questions, Answers & Explanations Database - 12 Months
    The CISM® Review Questions, Answers & Explanations Database is a comprehensive 1000-question pool of items that contains the questions from the CISM® Review Questions, Answers & Explanations Manual 9th Edition.
    The database is available via the web, allowing our CISM candidates to log in at home, at work or anywhere they have Internet connectivity. The database is MAC and Windows compatible.
    Exam candidates can take sample exams with randomly selected questions and view the results by job practice domain, allowing for concentrated study in particular areas. Additionally questions generated during a study session are sorted based on previous scoring history, allowing CISM candidates to identify their strengths and weaknesses and focus their study efforts accordingly.
    Other features provide the ability to select sample exams by specific job practice domain, view questions that were previously answered incorrectly and vary the length of study sessions, giving candidates the ability to customize their study approach to fit their needs.
    After purchase, you can access this course by visiting your MyISACA page and clicking CISM Question Database Button.
    TOPIC
    >Published by ISACA, CISM Exam Resources

DESCRIPTION

Boom! There you go. Good Luck on the test! Let us know how you do! When are you thinking about taking it?
  • Options
    So, from what I see cost of taking the CISM would be:

$ 10.00 - ISACA membership (online to save $20 - membership saves $$ on the review materials)
    $500.00 - Exam registration fee ($450 if registering early)
    $ 45.00 Annual Maint Fee (also must accrue 120 CPEs within 3 years)
    $185.00 - CISM Review Questions Answers & Explanations Database 12 month Subscription (non members $225)
    $105.00 - CISM Review Manual 15th Edition ($135 for non-members)

Total about $845.00 to do a self-study program

Add $995 if you want to take the class or add $795 if you want to take the online review course.

Also add $45 for the CISM Review Questions, Answers & Explanations Database - 6 Month Extension
  • Options
    That's another consideration. How long is the CISM Review Manual Edition 15 good for? I'd like to spend a few months reading the book and going over the Q AE database. Looks like they come out with a new edition each Sep-Nov? Should I just wait til new year?

Looking around for a used manual at a good price to see if this is the kind of thing I want to do.

ISACA recommends the following 5 steps - I would rather put step 1 at Step 2.
    To learn more about obtaining your CISM, click on the steps below.
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Having taken the CISA I'd highly suggest as others have the questions database. I would not recommend the actual review manual unless you need something to prop under & raise your computer monitor 2 inches higher.

I agree with you in that I'd suggest studying and getting comfortable with the question database before registering for the exam but keep in mind that they usually offer the CBT (finally) exams 3 times a year so be aware of that so you don't miss a window and have a long gap between studying/testing.

Best of luck!
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Once you join ISACA, you can look for the local chapter meetings. Often they have weekend review courses for free.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    mattf73mattf73 Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would go for the CISM Review questions and answers.
    A colleague purchased the review manual and it is incredibly dry. Imagine page after page of PowerPoint slides with way too much info in each.
    The questions and answer books will help you focus your study.
    I also found answering from a business aligned/COBIT perspective rather than a risk/security perspective helped in reaching the right answers
  • Options
    scadascada Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I might have to take this advice once i knock out HCISSP . CISA/CISM looks like a good path.
  • Options
    SpanSpan Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So if one doesn't want to be a member, to remain certified will run you the Annual Maintenance Fee of $85 and 20 CPE per year or 120 over 3 years and as far as I can tell CPE's are not cheap or free. As per the How to report and earn CPE page the first hit is -

Webinars and Virtual Conferences—CPE quizzes are for members only.
    up to 36 free CPEs per year

Checking on all the links I cannot find a single free event?!?

Any one here who can attest to maintaining accreditation without membership or breaking the bank?