Coverage of topics for L1 , L2 and L3

vlrkvlrk Posts: 6Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I am trying getting to know / brush up the skills on L1,L2 and L3. Query is what to cover ?.

I am thinking below topics..


L2 : VLAN , STP ,RSTP , VTP ,ARP ,BOTTP and DHCP
L3 : RIP,OSPF,BGP and IS-IS

IP : IP Addressing , Subnettting , Supernetting , IPv4 and IPv6

No idea on L1 .. at all what to cover..? .

I need inputs from you like , what else should be covered here .. ? .

Final objective is to get to know the domain of L1,L2 and L3 technologies.

Thanks
vlrk

Comments

  • CryptoQueCryptoQue Posts: 201Member
    Layer 1 (physical layer) of the OSI covers bits, line configuration, transmission mode, data rates, cabling, wire speeds, voltage, physical media, etc. Some things to look into:

    - Cabling Types & Speeds: Coax, Twisted Pair, Fiber
    - Hubs
    - Repeaters
    - NIC Cards, DTE, DCE
    - Full duplex, half duplex
    - point-to-point, point-to-multipoint
  • vlrkvlrk Posts: 6Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot ...
  • dppagcdppagc Posts: 293Member
    CryptoQue wrote: »
    Layer 1 (physical layer) of the OSI covers bits, line configuration, transmission mode, data rates, cabling, wire speeds, voltage, physical media, etc. Some things to look into:

    - Cabling Types & Speeds: Coax, Twisted Pair, Fiber
    - Hubs
    - Repeaters
    - NIC Cards, DTE, DCE
    - Full duplex, half duplex
    - point-to-point, point-to-multipoint

    Out of topic but i thought hubs are obsolete in the market?
  • barberj66barberj66 Member United KingdomPosts: 86Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    dppagc wrote: »
    Out of topic but i thought hubs are obsolete in the market?

    They are and should never be used especially in a production environment. I think they are shown so much in CCENT because they highlight why you would use switches more in a network as it shows the effects of collisions.

    I've certainly not seen any for sale any time recently
    Goals for 2019: ICND2 first of all then see how it goes.
    CCENT Passed 28/11/18!
    https://jballaboutit.blogspot.co.uk/
  • stryder144stryder144 Posts: 1,521Member ■■■■■■■□□□
    dppagc wrote: »
    Out of topic but i thought hubs are obsolete in the market?

    barberj66 is correct, though I have heard of a few really small companies utilizing hubs.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

    Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • CryptoQueCryptoQue Posts: 201Member
    barberj66 wrote: »
    They are and should never be used especially in a production environment. I think they are shown so much in CCENT because they highlight why you would use switches more in a network as it shows the effects of collisions.

    I've certainly not seen any for sale any time recently

    Correct...I only gave the example for exam purposes and not for real world use.
  • barberj66barberj66 Member United KingdomPosts: 86Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    CryptoQue wrote: »
    Correct...I only gave the example for exam purposes and not for real world use.

    icon_thumright.gif
    Goals for 2019: ICND2 first of all then see how it goes.
    CCENT Passed 28/11/18!
    https://jballaboutit.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Posts: 414Member
    stryder144 wrote: »
    barberj66 is correct, though I have heard of a few really small companies utilizing hubs.

    I saw a 30 user environment which had a hub here:

    Router > Hub > 2x24p SW

    and various hubs under desks despite cat5 being present.

    Funnily enough they blamed ridiculous performance issues on the ISP.

    That feel when you first see a hub in the wild that's actually in use:

    Omg-Jurrasic-Park-Dinosaurs-Reaction-Gif.gif
  • CryptoQueCryptoQue Posts: 201Member
    One day hubs will become nonexistent...but somehow some companies rather have a cost effective LAN verses a secure and stable LAN.
Sign In or Register to comment.