Options

From CASP to CISSP

PersianImmortalPersianImmortal Member Posts: 124 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just finished my CASP, and was thinking of starting my CISSP journey. I got the CISSP study guide (Stewart et al.) and honestly it seems like a review after studying for the CASP. I haven't found a single concept yet that wasn't covered in greater detail in my CASP studies so I think it won't be too difficult to pass the exam..

However, that being said, I don't quite meet the 5 year (4 with CASP) experience requirements to earn the CISSP. My current position is more related to infrastructure and process development rather than pure infosec (although a new infosec position may be opening up - finger's crossed) I want to take the exam but I'm worried I won't be able to meet the 4-year experience requirements in the 6-year timespan if I pass the exam...

If I don't end up going for the CISSP, I was just thinking of continuing on with higher Cisco Certs (i.e. CCNP sec or others)

Just wondering everyone's thoughts and if there is anyone else in this squabble.

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am considering getting my CISSP soon. I am pretty certain I have the correct amount of experience, but if not, I will just accept the Associate of (ISC)2 designation until I get the experience. You have up to six years, if I remember correctly. Just make sure that you review the domains and what is expected in each domain, as you may already qualify. Also, do not forget that (ISC)2 may have meet ups in your area...contact them and they can listen to your experience and let you know if you qualify.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just finished my CASP, and was thinking of starting my CISSP journey. I got the CISSP study guide (Stewart et al.) and honestly it seems like a review after studying for the CASP. I haven't found a single concept yet that wasn't covered in greater detail in my CASP studies so I think it won't be too difficult to pass the exam..

However, that being said, I don't quite meet the 5 year (4 with CASP) experience requirements to earn the CISSP. My current position is more related to infrastructure and process development rather than pure infosec (although a new infosec position may be opening up - finger's crossed) I want to take the exam but I'm worried I won't be able to meet the 4-year experience requirements in the 6-year timespan if I pass the exam...

If I don't end up going for the CISSP, I was just thinking of continuing on with higher Cisco Certs (i.e. CCNP sec or others)

Just wondering everyone's thoughts and if there is anyone else in this squabble.

You may as well go for the CISSP. You could apply your education toward the certification which would only give you 4 years needed. This would give you time to obtain the amount of experience. You may want to verify with ISC2.
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    (ISC)2 also gives you up to 9 months to submit your endorsement material. I'm not 100% sure if you can stall and use some of that time to acquire the needed experience for the full CISSP credential.

Can anyone else answer that? I'd be curious to know too.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The CISSP experience isn't about Infosec. The requirements state that you need to have experience in the 8 domains. I'm sure your infrastructure job allows you to work in some capacity in those 8 domains.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    The CISSP experience isn't about Infosec. The requirements state that you need to have experience in the 8 domains. I'm sure your infrastructure job allows you to work in some capacity in those 8 domains.

I spoke to a local (ISC)2 rep and they mentioned the same thing (except when I spoke to her they had 10 domains).
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    scadascada Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I went right from CASP to CISSP 28 days later . I would say go for it .
  • Options
    ice9ice9 Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ITSec14 wrote: »
    (ISC)2 also gives you up to 9 months to submit your endorsement material. I'm not 100% sure if you can stall and use some of that time to acquire the needed experience for the full CISSP credential.

Can anyone else answer that? I'd be curious to know too.

It is a 9 month maximum wait time for CISSP endorsement. You can pretty much be doing anything you want to advance your career at that point up until your submission for sponsorship by a CISSP holder in good standing. Upholding the code of conduct as well.
    https://www.isc2.org/endorsement.aspx
  • Options
    Appreciate the advice chaps, I think I'm gonna go for the CISSP, even if I might only be eligible for the Associate of ISC2 title in the interim. Wish me luck! Cheers.
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go for it! I'm interested to see your take on the differences/similarities between CISSP and CASP.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    letapragasletapragas Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□

I got my CASP in April 2017 and aiming to take the CISSP in September. I also noticed that much of the CISSP was covered by the CASP. My fear is that it will give me a false sense of confidence. I feel the overlap is great for drilling the major concepts into your brain but good lord its boring AF!
  • Options
    letapragasletapragas Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    scada wrote: »
    I went right from CASP to CISSP 28 days later . I would say go for it .

BEAST! How long did you study for CASP and were you studying both exams at the same time?
  • Options
    letapragas wrote: »
    I got my CASP in April 2017 and aiming to take the CISSP in September. I also noticed that much of the CISSP was covered by the CASP. My fear is that it will give me a false sense of confidence. I feel the overlap is great for drilling the major concepts into your brain but good lord its boring AF!

I'm in exactly the same position! I'm going over the CISSP official cert guide, and I feel as if I know many of the concepts already that were covered by CASP, so it feels like a boring review so far, but I do have that fear that I'm overlooking some of the CISSP material.

May I ask what materials you're using for your prep?
  • Options
    Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CASP studies help with CISSP just need to think in a management position and don't do anything that involves fixing (for the most part). DO IT just got my CISSP today and got my CASP last year