Options

seconday ip

pannupanditpannupandit Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
well how to assign a secondary ip address to a windows 98 machine without using another NIC card. Is there any way.
do tell me.we can do it in XP .there may be a way in win98 but i dont know. if anybody knows plz tell me.
thanx in advance

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I'm going to move this topic to the Off-Topic forum because it doesn't relate the MCDST, which is about XP.

To answer your question: it 'can' be done in Windows 98, and there's two ways to do it. One is by modifying the registry and can be found on may XP tweaking related sites, ie. check out the bottom half of the following article:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/multiipa.html

The other one I don't remember from the top of my head, and I don't have Windows 98 here, so I'm not sure the following actually works or is complete:
    - Add the TCP/IP protocol (again) in Network Propterties, and then go to the properties of the network interface, click on the Bindings tab, and enable the second TCP/IP protocol, and configure it with the second IP address info. Even though you mentioned there's "without adding a second NIC", if you have a dial-up adapter the second TCP/IP protocol may be bound to that 'network interface' instead, so you would need to disable it on the Bindings tab of the dial-up adapter first.