Options

CISSP in my pocket : I want to work remote now!

SeabSeab Member Posts: 127
Hi,

I completed my cissp last year, and looking for a next cert ( ccsp, crisc, or ceh ). But that's not the question here.

I have the goal of working completely remote for at least a year or two, maybe more.

Now, I want to hear from the people working remotely/from home. What are you doing in the Security field for being able to work remotely ?

My current job will not allow me to do so, and no previous jobs did allow me this kind of freedom. So, I am looking for inspiration, and where to go in my career to be able to have more freedom.

Comments

• Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I work full-time remote since about 12/2015 doing vulnerability remediations and FISMA compliance. I started out in the office but our work is regional and I never had to go hands-on, in fact I have never even been in our server room and had no need to. Office space was at a premium so they approved me for full remote. I definitely get more work done working from home. In the office there was always somebody walking by your cubicle wanting to chat or just the background noise from other cubicles. On top of that after a 60+ minute drive in heavy traffic I was already mentally fatigued by the time I got there. Now I have no distractions and start with a fresh mind every morning. I do find that I have trouble staying under 40 hours now. I get tied up in something and an extra 20 minutes a day here or there and I am well over mu 40 hours but still beats spending 10+ hours per week driving.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Been working remotely doing infrastructure security (SCCM patch management, etc.) but the pay was meh (below 100k). In order to get paid more switched back to the office type of job. Hoped to get both remote and the pay, but failed, office jobs seem to be paid higher. The pay is > than remote for me for now.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Been working remotely doing infrastructure security (SCCM patch management, etc.) but the pay was meh (below 100k). In order to get paid more switched back to the office type of job. Hoped to get both remote and the pay, but failed, office jobs seem to be paid higher. The pay is > than remote for me for now.

People are openly stating that they will take less money for remote work. Companies aren't stupid and have this captured in their HR model.
  • Options
    SeabSeab Member Posts: 127
    Thanks for the feedback, pretty interresting!

And yes, I think you are right about the job paying less remotely, except maybe you have an office job that decided you should remote, then that's probably the best deal.

I hear that IBM and Dell are massively hiring remote work, or are very flexible on that subject. So, I am looking at that direction at the moment...

cheers
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I worked fully remote for a large global bank for 5 years doing IAM work. I'm now working fully remote again doing GRC/Audit work for a large global technology consulting firm (non-travel based position). What other certs do you have, and what experience? There are tons of remote jobs and more and more every day companies are moving that way.

I'm lucky that I'm able to be at mid six with bonus, at home. Perfect situation.

People are openly stating that they will take less money for remote work. Companies aren't stupid and have this captured in their HR model.

I absolutely would take less to keep being able to work fully remote if I had to find another job. Honestly, I don't think I'll ever work in an office again. I'll change job fields or go self employed. I despise commuting to sit in an office to click a mouse just that much. And I refuse to work for employers/managers that aren't forward thinking enough to realize what a waste of money it is for them, and time/money for the employees.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Seab wrote: »
    I hear that IBM and Dell are massively hiring remote work, or are very flexible on that subject. So, I am looking at that direction at the moment...

cheers

You might want to take another listen... IBM who was the leader in telecommuting, has recently swung 180 degrees moving to make employees return to offices or take lay offs ( nice rif action at play)

I got lucky and have a CSO who has enough faith in my abilities and drive to let me work from home full time... I drove 3 hours each way and stayed in our HQs area each week for 6.5 years before being allowed to do so
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    jelevatedjelevated Member Posts: 139
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I despise commuting to sit in an office to click a mouse just that much.

Thanks now I'm reevaluating my life lol.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm kind of looking to be in the same boat, especially if I pass my CISSP in a couple weeks. I think it's perfectly reasonable to work from home when I can do the exact same thing there as I would in the office.
  • Options
    ice9ice9 Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So is the common denominator having a CISSP to be able to work from home full time?

I have been working in IA/IAM for the DoD for over 6 years. How does one make the transition to working at home?
    Are there some top job application sites other than Monster or Dice?
  • Options
    wh173_H47_l337wh173_H47_l337 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't have CISSP, yet, I'm taking it in a few weeks. I have had my Sec+ since 2015 but that's it, although I do have over 15 years experience in the IT/InfoSec space. I have been working full-time remote since April of this year and I doubt I will ever work brick and mortar again. My current remote assignment is working for a top international financial institution based in the US. I am an Information Security Engineer in IAM focused on privileged access auditing. While some of the folks in this thread are correct that companies are moving people back to the office, there are plenty companies that offer remote work and you should be able to find it now if you want it. Just market yourself as a team player but who is knowledgable in multiple InfoSec areas per the 8 CISSP domains that you have experience. Also consider working as a contractor, benefits are expensive but there are some pros. You can vacation in between assignments if you choose and you can definitely make $100K+/year as a contractor. You should be able to do this also working for a directly for a company, but you may have to negotiate harder. If you're not sure how to do this, research this as well, there's tons of websites. Just research and avoid companies that are moving away from remote work. Bank of America is a previous company where I worked that has gone part-time with remote work for some employees but most are expected to be in office. They do have great benefits though. Hope this inspires and lets you know what's out there, I wish you the best! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    wh173_H47_l337wh173_H47_l337 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No I have Sec+ only at the moment, taking CISSP in next couple weeks. I've been working remotely full-time on contract since April and anticipate I'll be in this role at least for another 1.5 years. I also am in IAM but in the finance industry. I have found most remote positions are contract or on other websites I have found through Google. Also check out Job Search | Indeed, I have found better leads there than monster or dice. Good luck!
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The CISSP really has nothing to do with it. It's all company culture. If you can 100% do your job remotely then ask to start taking a couple days a week remote. If management doesn't care and you prove that you are just as productive if not more, then you have a case. Some companies are just comletely against it for reasons that don't make a lot of sense. Sometimes they've let people go remote before and they suddenly became slackers.

You can also search for a new/remote job, but it'll come down to what you know, the tasks you do and the company culture WAY more than just having a CISSP.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I'm lucky that I'm able to be at mid six with bonus, at home. Perfect situation.

Agreed.