Options

IT Security

PlayMaker88PlayMaker88 Member Posts: 35 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is it hard to get an entry level Security job with a Security+ and no experience ? (Studying for Cert)

Comments

• Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I am studying for the Security+ as well, but mostly to meet a DoD requirement. I don't expect to land any security roles with it even though I have A+, Network+ and IT experience.

The thing with security is that it's not entry level. You will need to understand networking/servers and how it all falls together before moving to security role.

Not to say entry level roles do not exist, it's how I see it.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    phatrikphatrik Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikey88 wrote: »

The thing with security is that it's not entry level. You will need to understand networking/servers and how it all falls together before moving to security role.

+rep to you my friend, this is so true. I've been a linux sysadmin for almost 10yrs mixed in with some basic network experience (deploying layer2 switches, deploying cisco asa firewalls) and I'm just now looking into ITSEC. I'm hoping my past experience combined with an ITSEC certification or two will allow me to move into a security analyst position and then upwards from there.
    2018 goals: Security+, CCNA CyberOps (Cohort #6), eJPT, CCNA R&S 2019 goals: RHCE ????, OSCP || CISSP
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Hard but not impossible
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is it hard to get an entry level Security job with a Security+ and no experience ? (Studying for Cert)

Like unix said hard but not impossible.

Go for it!
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have about seven years IT experience and a few years experience as an IT PM doing risk management. I came back into IT and got my CCNA, and Security+ hoping to break into an IT Security role. I'm not having any luck yet, but hope springs eternal...

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is it hard? Yes. As others have said, you need a base understanding of networking, systems, software, etc. However, there are jobs out there that are willing to hire people with very little to no experience. They are just rare.