CCNA Cyber OPS self study

hal9k2hal9k2 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
HI guys

I am looking for a next CERT to pursue and I am considering CISCO CCNA Cyber Ops (https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.com/ccna-cyber-ops)

However I am short on funds and I never took any CISCO certification exam.

So I am not sure if it will be possible to pass this exam just with these two companion books:
  1. http://www.ciscopress.com/store/ccna-cyber-ops-secfnd-210-250-and-secops-210-255-official-9781587145001
  2. http://www.ciscopress.com/store/ccna-cyber-ops-secops-210-255-official-cert-guide-9781587147036

Or maybe there is a requirement to buy this two courses, each 1500$!! : https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.com/ccna-cyber-ops

I don't know what is inside of them that is different from book, but maybe there are some labs or other stuff, that book is not covering and will not let me pass just with books...

Do you have experience in that and you can share it here?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What are you doing now? What goal are you trying to accomplish with this cert? If you have specific career goals, share them here and we will gladly give you recommendations.

If you are just taking it for the learning experience and the challenge, then I understand that too. I took the cert and enjoyed it, but the ROI for having it doesn't exist yet.
  • trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Books and gap doc shared in one of the threads on forum should be enough to pass if you have some experience with tools covered by this exam
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• hal9k2hal9k2 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ertaz wrote: »
    What are you doing now? What goal are you trying to accomplish with this cert? If you have specific career goals, share them here and we will gladly give you recommendations.

If you are just taking it for the learning experience and the challenge, then I understand that too. I took the cert and enjoyed it, but the ROI for having it doesn't exist yet.

There are few reasons:
    • I like to learn in structured way (course, book) and under pressure of time (exam date)
    • I am looking for affordable certification that will look good in CV
    • which will help me change my current IT job into IT security job

Can be either pent test certification type, or kind of Cyber Ops (Incident handling, SOC) as I am not decided which role/side to chose because I don't have experience in any security area, so I don't know what I would like.

So far I was thinking about:
    • CEH but I read it is not worth money it costs, and I read that is "security+ with tools"
    • GPEN or GCIH crazy price for ONDEMAND courses (as I can only do self learning, on line type trainings)
    • Something from (ISC)2, however all requires security job experience, even SSCP min. one year and is very similar to Security+
    • OSCP definitely out of my league
    • Lastly eJPT, not well known for HR guys in my country to be good enough, but I read it here it can help me acquiring higher skill certs (eJPT -> eCPPT -> OSCP)

What you can say now?
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    hal9k2 wrote: »
    There are few reasons:
    • I like to learn in structured way (course, book) and under pressure of time (exam date)
    • I am looking for affordable certification that will look good in CV
    • which will help me change my current IT job into IT security job

Can be either pent test certification type, or kind of Cyber Ops (Incident handling, SOC) as I am not decided which role/side to chose because I don't have experience in any security area, so I don't know what I would like.

So far I was thinking about:
    • CEH but I read it is not worth money it costs, and I read that is "security+ with tools"
    • GPEN or GCIH crazy price for ONDEMAND courses (as I can only do self learning, on line type trainings)
    • Something from (ISC)2, however all requires security job experience, even SSCP min. one year and is very similar to Security+
    • OSCP definitely out of my league
    • Lastly eJPT, not well known for HR guys in my country to be good enough, but I read it here it can help me acquiring higher skill certs (eJPT -> eCPPT -> OSCP)
    What you can say now?

Great background info there. It really helps to understand what you want in order to give feedback. If you are looking at a cert to pass HR filters, this one isn't even on their radar yet.

And please understand, I don't know what the market is like in your country. Here in the states it's like this: As far a entry level certs go, CEH, while lacking content, is still the best to get noticed in a pile of entry level resumes. If you know of an employer in your area that uses Cisco Security technologies, then the CCNA Cyber Ops cert is great to help you get in the door. If your end goal is to be a pentester, then ejpt is a great avenue to start on.
    Ertaz wrote: »
    Great background info there. It really helps to understand what you want in order to give feedback. If you are looking at a cert to pass HR filters, this one isn't even on their radar yet.

And please understand, I don't know what the market is like in your country. Here in the states it's like this: As far a entry level certs go, CEH, while lacking content, is still the best to get noticed in a pile of entry level resumes. If you know of an employer in your area that uses Cisco Security technologies, then the CCNA Cyber Ops cert is great to help you get in the door. If your end goal is to be a pentester, then ejpt is a great avenue to start on.

Sorry for late answer and thanks for it.

I will be finishing eJPT soon, so far it is very nice learning experience.

For CCNA Cyber Ops it's ~3000$ for each of two courses, that is something, and I am not sure about value.
    trojin wrote: »
    Books and gap doc shared in one of the threads on forum should be enough to pass if you have some experience with tools covered by this exam

gap doc?
  • trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ask for this doc in CCNA Cyber OPS group on Facebook or find TE user whoknew
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore