Options

Cisco 4000

HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
How will my Cisco 4000 work as a home gateway? It's got 4 AUI Ethernet interfaces...

Im just curious if there is going to be alot of problems with speed. Since the interfaces are 10Mbps half-duplex. I have Vonage VOIP and play games quite a bit....

I have some cisco 1721's which are 10/100 but I need to buy another modular ethernet WIC for it.
Now working full time!

Comments

• Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hmmm work it out. How fast is your connection? Unless you have a lot of systems I would think that 10Mb half dup would be fine. I think Vonage only requires about 100Kb or better to work so even the slowest broadband qualifies.

At home I just have your average ADSL and real speed on a good day is about 2600kb down and 750kb up but it varies, for example today DSL reports gave me this from California north to Seattle Washington.

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-05-07 18:49:34 EST:
    2016 / 696
    Your download speed : 2016 kbps or 252 KB/sec.
    That is 41.3% worse than an average user on verizon.net

Your upload speed : 696 kbps or 87 KB/sec.
    That is 10.5% worse than an average user on verizon.net

And a couple thousand miles cross country to Miami Florida gave

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-05-07 18:53:30 EST:
    1677 / 658
    Your download speed : 1677 kbps or 209.6 KB/sec.
    That is 51.2% worse than an average user on verizon.net

Your upload speed : 658 kbps or 82.2 KB/sec.
    That is 15.4% worse than an average user on verizon.net

The speed tests were not a direct gateway but it was from a system on the back end of my home lab going through a 2514. My spousal unit is off with the girls so I don't think my other systems were active other than this one that I am typing from.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    These are my speed tests, my download is pretty fast:

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-05-07 19:33:11 EST:
    7376 / 602
    Your download speed : 7376 kbps or 922.1 KB/sec.
    That is 24.9% better than an average user on cgocable.net

Your upload speed : 602 kbps or 75.2 KB/sec.
    That is 0.3% better than an average user on cgocable.net
    test IP was to cgocable.net via gtconnect.net
    PS: Welcome to dslreports.com! Run more tests! see forums
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    Ah you guys with cable that really works. Lots of people complain about it out my way. looks like you could be right on the edge if you ever have something flaky in your network. Even if you get throttled, you would still have more speed than most of the average users in the world.
  • Options
    icon_lol.gif lucky me :)
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
    Don't mean to burst your bubble or brag, but just to let you know.

I have a 100M up/down fiber optic connection straight to my house! No, I am not rich or special. Actually the US is kinda behind in internet connectivity despite having invented the dam thing!
  • Options
    nipponbiki wrote:
    Don't mean to burst your bubble or brag, but just to let you know.

I have a 100M up/down fiber optic connection straight to my house! No, I am not rich or special. Actually the US is kinda behind in internet connectivity despite having invented the dam thing!

lucky you :0
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    Wow Up and down OC-2 ? Is that normal for all households? What does a home user need with the speed of half the worlds backbone segments. Do you get a fixed IP with that also? Do they use port limiting? Here in the U.S. they seem more concerned with people sharing really high speed links or saturating the net with video and piracy. It is all about money here, speed costs and even most companies only have T1 or T3 speed.
  • Options
    Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
    It's not so normal yet, at least not individual lines, but it is available to the general public. Most people are happy with 48-meg DSL, so they don't bother with the fiber connection.

Yeah, maybe it's not necessary, but for 20 extra dollars a month, I would rather have the fiber and the high upload as well as download speed.

Alot of people here live in huge concrete condominiums with many stories, so alot of people are living together in one building. So, the condominium gets one or two of these connections, and everybody shares. It's a bit cheaper than just having your own line, but I ordered my inidvidual line before this group thing was available at my building.

We also had color phones with cameras and email connectivity along time ago. My current phone has an internet browser so I can view any normal website, has a document viewer for viewing office documents and PDFs, and can download a 4meg mp3 file in about a minute.

I don't have a static IP, but I am sure it is available.
    Maybe it is just because Japan is so small and most people live in very small concentrated areas along the southern coast, so it is much much cheaper to build the infrastructure. Covering the entire US with high-bandwidth fiber infrastructure is expensive and what caused so many companies to file bankruptcy in 2001!

At least that is my guess. As I used to be a network engineer specializing in fiber and DSL, it blows my mind how fast and CHEAP it is over here!
  • Options
    So living on the bleeding edge does sometimes lead to luck. I guess many times you wonder why it takes so long for someone to send you something. It must be kind of like driving a Ferrari in rush hour. You are right it would take years to build out such an infrastructure in the states. They are still trying to deal with fiber to copper interconnects in many places to just put dsl in.

I am still shocked at the possibility of having such a private connection. It would be fun to play with for a few days, a color picture phone with no lag would be a kick also.