Options

Microsoft Certifications where to begin

docchiojdocchioj Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings everyone,

I am considering to begin working on the Microsoft Certification MTA: IT Infrastructure Certification just to get my feet wet which will hopefully allow me to move to a higher position. I have my A+, Network+, and Security+. Although since I work at a Tier 1 help desk, and do not have a great deal of experience in an actual live server environment, besides resetting passwords, unlocking accounts, setting account expiration dates, and adding Group Memberships, in Active Directory.

Would someone mind providing me with a good book to purchase to start off with, to begin reading the material, and some good study guides that I can print out? As I know there are a ton of MS Certification exams although am uncertain of the current Exam numbers to follow for this current exam. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Another concern I have is, I know MS changes exam material every so often as CompTIA does. Will I have enough time to study and prepare for the current exam before MS changes the exams again?
  • Options
    djrabesdjrabes Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you'll be fine to get the MTA out the way before MS change anything. I would start looking at Server 2012 as well to gain some understanding of the components; AD DS, DNS, DHCP, Group Policy. That will set you up nicely for an MCP in Installing and Configuring Server 2012 once you obtain the MTA.

Based on your job role, you should look at the 98-365 exam in Windows Server Administration Fundamentals to gain your MTA.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/exam-98-365.aspx

I'm unsure what study material is the best for the MTA, maybe someone else will help you more in that field.
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016, Windows 10
    Studying: Exam 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure
    Want: MCSA: Office 365, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure Exam 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure), Network+, Security+
  • Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    Thank you folks I'll check the information you provided and see which else I can locate.
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For Microsoft exams the best thing you can do is hands on exercises. I've found Technet to be a great resource and used it for my MCSA/MCSE.
  • Options
    Thank you ITSec14. I forgot about Technet. When I did my B.S. degree we did a class on Windows Server 2003, and the college provided us with a DVD where we went through step by step instructions on how to perform tasks on the server. Not sure how much it will help since an older server OS, although I was also able to print up the instructions and I placed the print outs in a binder, and I know I still have the binder. Although as I'm going to objectives I can compare procedures.

I just want to find as much information as possible. As I do not want any surprises. Such as when I took my Security+ exam. Most of the questions I had, the information was not in the books and study guides I used to study, such as questions regarding Apple security material.

I also found this books, which I am going to order.
    Windows Server Administration Fundamentals 1st Edition,
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/98-365-microsoft-official-academic-course/1110853349?ean=9780470901823
    ISBN-13: 978-0470901823
    ISBN-10: 0470901829

MCSA Windows Server 2012 R2 Complete Study Guide: Exams 70-410, 70-411, 70-412, and 70-417 / Edition 2
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/mcsa-windows-server-2012-r2-complete-study-guide-william-panek/1124322724?ean=9781118859919

Windows Server 2012 Unleashed
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/windows-server-2012-unleashed-rand-morimo/1110805992;jsessionid=5376C628D40513985840AF3CD4BD37B0.prodny_store01-atgap07?ean=9780672336225#productInfoTabs

• Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    docchioj wrote: »
    Thank you ITSec14. I forgot about Technet. When I did my B.S. degree we did a class on Windows Server 2003, and the college provided us with a DVD where we went through step by step instructions on how to perform tasks on the server. Not sure how much it will help since an older server OS, although I was also able to print up the instructions and I placed the print outs in a binder, and I know I still have the binder. Although as I'm going to objectives I can compare procedures.

I just want to find as much information as possible. As I do not want any surprises. Such as when I took my Security+ exam. Most of the questions I had, the information was not in the books and study guides I used to study, such as questions regarding Apple security material.

I also found this books, which I am going to order.
    Windows Server Administration Fundamentals 1st Edition,
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/98-365-microsoft-official-academic-course/1110853349?ean=9780470901823
    ISBN-13: 978-0470901823
    ISBN-10: 0470901829

MCSA Windows Server 2012 R2 Complete Study Guide: Exams 70-410, 70-411, 70-412, and 70-417 / Edition 2
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/mcsa-windows-server-2012-r2-complete-study-guide-william-panek/1124322724?ean=9781118859919

Windows Server 2012 Unleashed
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/windows-server-2012-unleashed-rand-morimo/1110805992;jsessionid=5376C628D40513985840AF3CD4BD37B0.prodny_store01-atgap07?ean=9780672336225#productInfoTabs

Unfortunately like with any cert, the best resource is professional experience. Even Security+ recommends 2 years experience prior to taking the exam. Microsoft is no different, but fortunately Microsoft puts a lot of information out on the web (Technet) pertaining to their solutions and services.

Honestly, I would just start tackling the MCSA. I don't see very much value in the MTA since the MCSA pretty much starts at the basics of server administration anyway.
  • Options
    ITSec14, I understand what you are saying in regards to skip the MTA and go right for the MCSA. Although without a great deal of experience in an actual live server environment what are my chances of obtaining a higher position with a company. If I go directly for the MCSA should pick up books for Server 2012 r2 or 2016. As the MCSA is going to take me a while to learn and I will be afraid I will not make it to get the exams completed before 2012 end of life.
  • Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MCSA 2008 retired 4 days ago. You have plenty of time. Don't bother with the MTA.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    Then should I study using the MCSA 2012 r2 or MCSA 2016 books? I swung by Barnes and Nobles today and they had a book for the 2012 for each exam, and it was 100 bucks and I walked out as I know I can get it cheaper online.

I found this book on Amazon
    MCSA Windows Server 2016 Complete Study Guide: Exam 70-740, Exam 70-741, Exam 70-742, and Exam 70-743 or I can purchase each book individually as I am studying for each exam.

I would like to order the book tonight so I can begin reading asap. The books I am looking at are from Sybex.
  • Options
    Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do 2012 R2 to get full experience with it since it's presence is huge still. Upgrade to 2016 down the line with just 1 exam. Least thats my opinion.

As someone who finished CompTIA trifecta and went immidietly into 2012 R2 I recommend Pluralsight's R2 course. It's really good. I found that after finishing my book's (Willam Panek, Server 2012 R2 Complete study guide) 410 section I was still seriously lacking in knowledge. With pluralsights help I've learned most of the powershell commands needed, plus tons of great tips and tricks. One of the things I like most is being able to repeat all the lessons in my own lab and trying both the GUI way of it + the powershell way too.
  • Options
    Nik 99 ok cool. I'll order the 2012 R2 books from Amazon when I get home later tonight. Agreed 2012 is still huge. At my job one of the companies we support their users for they user virtual servers for their backups on Hypervisor's and iDrac systems. Not everyone has gone over to 2016 as of yet. Thank you very much.