Options

Traveling to DC worth it?

ChevelChevel Member Posts: 211 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I've done 2 hour commutes before but thinking about trying a 4 hour. There's lots of jobs in DC and I feel my chances are higher at landing a real full time gig up there verses down here. Just brought a house stressing out that September is my last month. I don't like waiting until the last minute.

Deep down I'm not a fan of doing this just because of the fatigue, wear and tear, on my vehicle and just basically no life, but sometimes you do what you have to....

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    UrbanBobUrbanBob Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're going to hate your life if you do it and will probably burn out.
    Don't do it
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Why don't you move closer to the position? Driving/Traffic really sucks around here.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Chevel wrote: »
    thinking about trying a 4 hour

I'd rather work at a McDonalds close to my house than do that every day.
  • Options
    labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm sorry, no money is worth spending 4 hours commuting every single day, it's just not. Move a little closer to cut some of that time down.
  • Options
    I know that's why I'm hesitant but priorities.......I don't agree its a life to live. I'm already complaining about being on a wheel.

@scaredoftests I just about a house in April, I was trying to hold off on buying a home until I find a permanent job but unfortunately the place I was renting was sold. Its hard finding a place that allows pets.
  • Options
    I'd rather work at a McDonalds close to my house than do that every day.

Lol, customer service as McD's the commute sounds better icon_biggrin.gif
  • Options
    I know that's why I'm hesitant but priorities.......I don't agree its a life to live. I'm already complaining about being on a wheel.

@scaredoftests I just about a house in April, I was trying to hold off on buying a home until I find a permanent job but unfortunately the place I was renting was sold. Its hard finding a place that allows pets.
    I am sorry,but the commute will kill you unless you can telecommute 4 out of 5 days.
    Where do you live now?
  • Options
    UrbanBobUrbanBob Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you like driving 4 hours?
    Do you like Cold showers? Think about taking a cold shower every day....
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You will age drastically faster should you attempt this. No job is ever worth the sacrifice of your overall health. A 4 hour commute to DC is never just a 4 hour commute...

Where is "down here" btw?
  • Options
    If you live in VA, there are plenty of jobs there.
  • Options
    I am sorry,but the commute will kill you unless you can telecommute 4 out of 5 days.
    Where do you live now?

I'm looking for jobs that allow teleworking, but it doesn't seem to be a common option. I live in Southhampton Virginia, near the NC border.
    UrbanBob wrote: »
    Do you like driving 4 hours?
    Do you like Cold showers? Think about taking a cold shower every day....

Do I like it? No especially to DC where's there's traffic so an additional +2 or 3 hours. Definitely don't like cold showers.
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    4 hours x 5 days = 20 hours per week, so if you're working a standard 40 hours/week you need to factor in the time, expense (gas, tolls, auto maintenance etc) and stress/lack of a life into whatever salary you would be getting.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So I've done 2 hour commutes before but thinking about trying a 4 hour. There's lots of jobs in DC and I feel my chances are higher at landing a real full time gig up there verses down here. Just brought a house stressing out that September is my last month. I don't like waiting until the last minute.

Deep down I'm not a fan of doing this just because of the fatigue, wear and tear, on my vehicle and just basically no life, but sometimes you do what you have to....

Thoughts?

Don't
    trust me the longest commute I have ever done is 1hr and 30min. You will burn up more gas and put more wear and tear on your car by driving 4hrs a day... if u can take the train that would be better... it would be cheaper, better, and more effective to move to Northern VA, or Maryland and work in DC... trust me... I worked in DC for a year.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    Again, I urge you to reconsider. Ask in regard to a telecommute option, if not..it is not worth it, unless you move closer.
  • Options
    I'm looking for jobs that allow teleworking, but it doesn't seem to be a common option. I live in Southhampton Virginia, near the NC border.

Do I like it? No especially to DC where's there's traffic so an additional +2 or 3 hours. Definitely don't like cold showers.

Honestly... Look at NC Jobs. Or consider jobs in Norfolk, VA Beach etc.... DC is not worth it
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    Other than the usual help desk jobs or jobs that I need 10+ years experience with a degree I don't qualify for anything down here. There's NMCI in Norfolk but the pay won't cover just basic necessities mortgage, food, gas, etc.

What about catching a plane? I think that would be better than a carpool or me trying to commute by myself.

@ITSpectre, thanks for posting your experience. Trust me its not something I want to do, I did 2 hours from my currently place to a job in Richmond. Not too bad straight shot no traffic although losing 4 hours a day suck. I liked the job enough to do it.
  • Options
    OMG, a plane? Think of the delays that go with air travel etc. Good grief. Why not rent an apartment in DC? Well, you will find rents are out of this world...
    Ask about the telecommute option, if not, consider moving closer.
  • Options
    More than likely the apartments don't allow dogs, hahaha. Thought about a hotel but still run into the same issue. Still brainstorming.
  • Options
    I think you'd be able to find dog friendly places. Another thing about that commute, time with your pets. Who would be taking care of them? another cost..
  • Options
    Other than the usual help desk jobs or jobs that I need 10+ years experience with a degree I don't qualify for anything down here. There's NMCI in Norfolk but the pay won't cover just basic necessities mortgage, food, gas, etc.

What about catching a plane? I think that would be better than a carpool or me trying to commute by myself.

@ITSpectre, thanks for posting your experience. Trust me its not something I want to do, I did 2 hours from my currently place to a job in Richmond. Not too bad straight shot no traffic although losing 4 hours a day suck. I liked the job enough to do it.

Honestly I moved from DC to richmond.... I live in chesterfield.... 3 weeks after moving I got a job.... there is a lot of competition in D.C. as well. A lot of federal jobs too. My advice is to get something close by... and then save money to move to D.C. I know you want to work in D.C. its a great place to work lots to do... but TRUST ME.... the traffic will make you want to pour gas on your car and light it on fire LOL
  • Options
    Do you have any type of clearance?
  • Options
    I think you'd be able to find dog friendly places. Another thing about that commute, time with your pets. Who would be taking care of them? another cost..

Not with my dogs it was one of the reasons that I decided to just bite the bit a buy a house. Trying finding a place to rent with a great danes. Another cost for sure, but considering doggy daycare or paying someone to come by.
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    Honestly I moved from DC to richmond.... I live in chesterfield.... 3 weeks after moving I got a job.... there is a lot of competition in D.C. as well. A lot of federal jobs too. My advice is to get something close by... and then save money to move to D.C. I know you want to work in D.C. its a great place to work lots to do... but TRUST ME.... the traffic will make you want to pour gas on your car and light it on fire LOL

Oh wow I was not too far from you lol. I don't want to work in DC I DESPISE city life. However my career advancement opportunities I believe will be better off than the Hampton Roads area. Plus if I get laid off again I can pick up another contract a lot faster.
  • Options
    @scaredoftests yeap! sure do icon_smile.gif Which why I believe my opportunity will be higher up there.
  • Options
    Not with my dogs it was one of the reasons that I decided to just bite the bit a buy a house. Trying finding a place to rent with a great danes. Another cost for sure, but considering doggy daycare or paying someone to come by.

Oh wow I was not too far from you lol. I don't want to work in DC I DESPISE city life. However my career advancement opportunities I believe will be better off than the Hampton Roads area. Plus if I get laid off again I can pick up another contract a lot faster.

If
    You go to Richmond or you are ever in the Area let me know... would love to meet up for Beer and burgers sometime! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    If
    You go to Richmond or you are ever in the Area let me know... would love to meet up for Beer and burgers sometime! icon_cheers.gif

icon_cool.gif Sure!
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    How about Raleigh? Preliminary Indeed search hits over 110 CCNA jobs in Raleigh. Google Maps says it's a 2 hour drive.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Another option might be to drive to the last stop on the VRE and take the trains the rest of the way - but you're still looking at a lot of time & added expense. imo, you would be better off looking for something in Richmond or Tidewater, or just move closer to DC if you want to work there so badly.
  • Options
    or try flexjobs.com...
  • Options
    mbarrett wrote: »
    Another option might be to drive to the last stop on the VRE and take the trains the rest of the way - but you're still looking at a lot of time & added expense. imo, you would be better off looking for something in Richmond or Tidewater, or just move closer to DC if you want to work there so badly.

Richmond has some good IT jobs in the city area... Amazon has a office here, as well as VCU has IT jobs. also Capital One is here as well.... I mean I would keep it to 2hrs so either Richmond or NC.... Save money and then move to DC. I would recommend to just move to Maryland, D.C. or Northern VA (Alexandria, Vienna, Fairfax, Mclean, Herndon)
  • Options
    Richmond has some good IT jobs in the city area... Amazon has a office here, as well as VCU has IT jobs. also Capital One is here as well.... I mean I would keep it to 2hrs so either Richmond or NC.... Save money and then move to DC. I would recommend to just move to Maryland, D.C. or Northern VA (Alexandria, Vienna, Fairfax, Mclean, Herndon)

Yeap I wasn't too far from Amazon. I applied there VCU, Capital One ( I tried SO HARD), and the Federal Reserve bank, a few state jobs, Henrico, Richmond, Glen Allen, etc, No luck. Even then I thought about just saying screw it and just commuting to DC. I was closer up there than now haha.

or try flexjobs.com...

Isn't that a scam? I read somewhere it was.