Options

How long have you been at your current job and how much longer will you remain?

Comments

• Options
    skswitchskswitch Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ha! Nice try current employer...

But really. I've been here going on 5 months. HUGE change of environment and people. I got the case of small fish in a big pond. I'm working with people who have 30+ yrs experience and have yet to meet anyone that isn't thrilled to teach you something they know.

Everyone here is IT related. Since we don't really have "departments" but programs there is a wide spread of technology you could work on. I joke that even the janitor was talking about the OSI model.

Already opportunities in the mix. I actually volunteered to go to another program that is starting up cause they needed people with networking background (which I wanted to go in the first place icon_cheers.gif).

I'll be working with more with routing (BGP/MPLS/OSPF/VRF's), configure changes ACL's/QoS and doing new site turn ups. It'll either help me move up here or enough experience to get a 'Network Engineer' type position. Then I'll move out of FL and into NC which is another goal of mine.

Current: 5 months
    Estimate: 2-3 yrs depending on openings and or the experience well drys up.
  • Options
    KyrakKyrak Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    11 Months. If my transfer to the security team works out then I'll probably stay another year or possibly two but will most likely start looking after one more year. My company doesn't pay that well across the board so I'll have to leave to make a big jump.
    Up next: On Break, but then maybe CCNA DC, CCNP DC, CISM, AWS SysOps Administrator
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,567 Mod
    11 months and I resigned...I should've left earlier
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ~4 years

Another ~5 years?

I am at a point in my life and my career where there are not really too many options for me in my market. If I want more options, it would require significantly more travel or moving, without really improving my compensation. So, I am just staying put for the next 5 years, or so, if there aren't any external forces that change things. This gets all of my kids through high school and most through college. Once my last one is through college, I probably don't care if my career even continues or not. I would need some sort of other motivation to keep working the way that I do.

Maybe I become a barista part-time just for insurance and a little spending cash. If there is something or somewhere interesting, then maybe I will follow that. Who knows.

I am expecting a promotion in the next year or two. If that doesn't happen, then maybe I will be open to a move to a competitor where there is opportunity, even if it is a smaller organization.

On the other hand, I am working to build up some steady side revenue through various content creation avenues (books, videos, etc.). If that grows wildly, all bets could be off.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I was at my last job 2.5 years. I loved the people I worked with but I left because was tired of the commute. (Never saw my family)

This job I have been at 1.4 years so far. Looking for something else as there is no room for growth or learning.
  • Options
    vanillagorilla3vanillagorilla3 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Been here as a Sys Admin for a little over a year. Currently working on several projects including Exchange upgrade, phone system upgrade, virtual environment upgrade, security certification and DR planning. I'll stay until the projects are finished at least...maybe longer depending on if I get a nice raise.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    powerfool wrote: »
    ~4 years

Another ~5 years?

I am at a point in my life and my career where there are not really too many options for me in my market. If I want more options, it would require significantly more travel or moving, without really improving my compensation. So, I am just staying put for the next 5 years, or so, if there aren't any external forces that change things. This gets all of my kids through high school and most through college. Once my last one is through college, I probably don't care if my career even continues or not. I would need some sort of other motivation to keep working the way that I do.

Does that concern you that you may get type cast into a certain role?

It can come off as being stagnant or "capped out". Both of which can be perceived as not being able to move upward. ***See the Peter Principal.
  • Options
    timrvttimrvt Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    16 yrs as a DoD contractor for USACE sys admin (linux/db/apache datacenter stuff etc..now moving to aws)
    hopefully here a few more yrs
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    9 months so far with my current employer, interesting role dealing with a wide variety of tech. Working in a good team, decent wage and hours so planning on sticking around a while. First role I've had where my opinion actually matters and my boss sends me on decent training courses so all good, hoping to stay long term subject to opportunities to advance even further.
  • Options
    CMalon02CMalon02 Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Been with the same company a year. Working on my CCNA so I can look into getting a networking position.
  • Options
    Besides pay, type of work and retirement packages, 401k match etc, training is up there on my list as well. I've actually stuck around another position I previously held for over a years because

a. I was coding everyday and finally it my 5 year mark. Still have a long way to go but it's coming along really well.
    b. Additional training, not certs but at the local state university. 3 training courses over the course of two years, usually lating 2 days. Great resume fodder and nuggets of knowledge, for take aways.
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Today was my first day. Plan on being around for many years.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Does that concern you that you may get type cast into a certain role?

It can come off as being stagnant or "capped out". Both of which can be perceived as not being able to move upward. ***See the Peter Principal.

Quite a bit, actually. There are things that I can do about it, for sure. Like I said, I am looking into content creation as a particular option. And I have been branching out into adjacent technologies, so that has helped. And I guess I am probably making things seem more bleak than they are because I go through this cycle (maybe 2-3 months in length... leaning towards quarterly) where I am currently at the bottom of it in regards to how I feel about my current job situation. I think quarterly is right, too, because we focus on quarterly results and my payout for last quarter bonus is coming up. I actually really hate the cycle because there is so much anxiety about getting targets met, then if you meet them, you have 5-6 weeks before you get your reward. Plus, I had some plans coming up that have been canceled... all things de-motivating.

I am trying to get to Microsoft Ignite this year, which is another one of those de-motivating things because I thought I was going to be one of the few that gets to go... and then I found out that that isn't the case. So, I am working through back channels to see if I can make it happen anyhow.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll hit 3 years next month... I have several applications in the works... waiting for the interviews. It's time to move up or out within the company. I'm actually 1 year behind my goal of moving up or out... I blame life and school...lol.

No real issues with my company... benefits are decent... pay is under the market average, but not significantly under. I'm headed in a different direction...the PM path vs the technical side of things.

Good times.
    Hatch
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    7 months - a lot of opportunity to learn and be hands own but definitely not much financial growth

How long depends on what day of the week you ask me. Realistically maybe 9 months-year
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    It all depends on what you/I are getting from it.
    Am I getting paid well for what I do?
    How much work load?
    What kind of benefits?
    Am i going to be micro manage?
    Do i have a good boss?
    Do i have cool co workers?
    How far is work from home? commute is an expense . time is the road is wasted money.
    Can I study at work?
    Does my coworker and boss have my back?
    Does the cost of living make sense VS my paycheck?
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    9+ years, no signs of leaving yet. Or being shown the door. :P
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    15 years... I am there since the end of my college. I am working at a well established IT firm. I did all step, sales, helpdesk, ... I am now IT architect. They pay me well, and they get some challenge to give me.. So I will stay with them for as long as they want me. They pay for training, certs, they give me time on the job for learning.
  • Options
    Gago77Gago77 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    10 years as a Data Recovery Engineer. No plans of going anywhere that and boss wont let me. Almost had to let it go twice and both times we find a solution where I can remain with the company. This has included working from home the last 7 years as well as various changes of working hours due to family commitment. I love what I do. Every day there is something knew to learn. Nothing more exciting than looking at the raw data of 75 drives and putting the array back together to access it contents.

I've also started working as a training analyst a year ago. If am not on the podium plenty of time for personal growth and new experiences working as a DOD contractor.
  • Options
    jb4479jb4479 Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Current Position: Tier 3 Help Desk, just shy of 11 months.
    Time Remaining: ???????, No promotion chance unless a manager drops dead or is hit by a bus {the 5 people above me are (1) my manager (PC Help Desk), (2) manager of network operations, (3) Asst CISO (4) CISO (5) CIO}

Starting search for new position, thinking maybe sales engineer

Previous position: IT Consultant/contractor, 12 years
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jb4479 wrote: »
    No promotion chance unless a manager drops dead or is hit by a bus

Sounds familiar haha :D
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    jb4479 wrote: »
    Current Position: Tier 3 Help Desk, just shy of 11 months.
    Time Remaining: ???????, No promotion chance unless a manager drops dead or is hit by a bus {the 5 people above me are (1) my manager (PC Help Desk), (2) manager of network operations, (3) Asst CISO (4) CISO (5) CIO}

Starting search for new position, thinking maybe sales engineer

Previous position: IT Consultant/contractor, 12 years

Love the idea of sales engineer, good luck!
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PC509 wrote: »
    6 years in November.

I'll stay for the foreseeable future. Probably move up some more. Excellent company to work for, very excellent team to work with. Lots of training opportunities, lots of hands on with new stuff. My input is respected and taken into account with various projects and resolutions to issues. Every member of the team is a valued asset, and we're treated like it. Really, this is the best place I've worked. Tons of respect all around.

I'm in a rural area, so there aren't a whole lot of opportunities around. But, in a couple years my youngest son graduated high school, and I might start looking to move to a larger city and working there. Nothing really planned or anything yet, though. Just an option. It's going to be really hard to leave this employer.

Sounds like me except I hit 7 years last month, and no desire to move... I'm at 6 figure base plus annual bonus, training guaranteed and tuition assistance(covers 90% of my degree costs) and fully remote with 10% or less travel these days (makes wife happy). Love my boss and his boss (CSO) and we are growing constantly (mostly through M&A), and my boss's boss loves what I do enough to keep me happy. With all that being said, I hopefully will be here until I am ready to be put out to pasture... it would take a 135% increase in pay and still remote to get me to leave
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Going onto my 3rd year in current position. I can't complain to be honest - though I am doing less technical work than previous job I am learning a lot on the business and strategy side of things. Am on track to complete my degree this year, once I bag that I might consider moving but only for big bucks (need to start serious planning for kids college fund :) )
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just started a new role as well, (Information Security Manager)...I've been in the role about 3 months.

Previously, I was a Network Security Engineer and stayed in that role a little over 5 years.

I plan on staying with the new role for a while, as learning IS Project Management will be beneficial for me when I do decide to make the switch to another role...(hopefully next stop is Director, SVP/EVP or CISO). icon_thumright.gif
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    icebearicebear Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    1 year and a month (it's a month longer than the previous one :D)
    dunno how long I'll stay there, because things have become not very fun with money here, but we'll see. overall it's ok here
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    5 1/2 years at this company

1 month into a paper promotion that meant nothing other than throwing me a decent sized bone to counteract how disgruntled I have been.

Since my pay and benefits are significantly above market for my increasingly outdated skill set, it is unlikely that I will be going anywhere for a while until I find something that is a low enough pay cut with an increase in exposure to current technology to justify a move.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »

1 month into a paper promotion that meant nothing other than throwing me a decent sized bone to counteract how disgruntled I have been.

Since my pay and benefits are significantly above market for my increasingly outdated skill set, it is unlikely that I will be going anywhere for a while until I find something that is a low enough pay cut with an increase in exposure to current technology to justify a move.

Wise post....

Working with several devs who have ~10 or more experience working in a tight silo on one technology. As you stated, unless they get the energy to learn a new hard skill, they will have to take a significant pay cut and for most if not all it's just not worth it.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,058 ■■■■■■■■□□

What skillset/role are you currently trapped in?
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2 and a half years, and want to be gone as soon as humanly possible.

I am in the same situation as you. The job specs require CCNA but its maybe 5% of our work. I'd likely fail the exam if I took it tomorrow. Its all carrier voice which is very niche. Everyone else that have had interviews are told that the voice experience is "nice to have", but fail on the technical interviews.

The pay is OK, but if I want to progress I will have to take a pay-cut, which is not possible since I cant find a place with cheaper rent. Its a slow death, but I have plenty of down-time so just a matter of motivation.