Options

Just Promoted to AVP

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
Just 5 months into the new job, today I received official news I have been given the corporate title of AVP. I was hired with no corporate title but that appears to have been a mistake during the hiring process. The other day I checked my pay grade on my offer letter and it was different than what HR had on their end. Upon questioning this diacrepancy and receiving clarification my manager said that based on the pay grade I should be AVP. I followed up with HR last week and they corrected both my grade and corporate title. This has importance since it affects benefits such as vacation days and bonus pay. Glad i caught it before year's end and also validates my decision to leave from my last job.

So lesson of the day, always check and validate your info on the offer letter with the info in the HR systems and make sure they are correct even after you start your job.

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thats awesome! :) Congratulations on the promotion!
    What is AVP?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Thats awesome! :) Congratulations on the promotion!
    What is AVP?

Thanks! AVP=Assistant Vice President :)
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations on the new role TheFORCE!!!!

Yes, you always have to double/triple check anything you sign especially offer letters.
    It could also be Awesome Vodka Protector !!!... I would drink to that!
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Not to be that guy but that company sounds pretty out of sorts to **** up EVERYTHING on that type of a new hire.

Congrats though! That's quite the surprise.
  • Options
    CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats!! Lemme guess, large/global bank/finance firm?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »

Finance firms do this sort of things too? Probably a typo, you enter the wrong number and it assigns you a wrong title. I'm sure I'm not the only one that this has happened to.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Assistance to the Vice President? ;)
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Finance firms do this sort of things too? Probably a typo, you enter the wrong number and it assigns you a wrong title. I'm sure I'm not the only one that this has happened to.

Congrats! Resume enhancing! I think he's mentioning large/global bank because I hear from different people who worked that sector that in banks everyone for whatever reason is a VP. I guess its what they do to justify pay maybe? idk not my division..
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Assistance to the Vice President? ;)

BINGO! TheFORCE is bragging on his newly acquired "secretary" or "executive assistance status. HAHA!

On a serious note: CONGRATS!!!
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! Always awesome hearing success stories on here. It's a great motivator.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I can see it now

The Force
    Assistant Vice President, IT Operations
    A+ Certified.

You know you want to do it!
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    BINGO! TheFORCE is bragging on his newly acquired "secretary" or "executive assistance status. HAHA!

On a serious note: CONGRATS!!!

Lol you got that right.
    And as they say, the assistant does all the work. Haha

Thanks!
  • Options
    I can see it now

The Force
    A+ Certified.

Oh hell yes! I'll even frame it at my desk. No joke.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Listing A+ certified in text in your signature is passé. What you really need to do is create an html email that has an image of your A+ certification in your signature block.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks! AVP=Assistant Vice President :)

I was thinking that but I wasn't sure :)
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I can see it now

The Force
    A+ Certified.

IF he is in Security then he needs the ultimate security credential

certified-ethical-hacker.png
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod

I've worked at three large bank/financial firms now, and all three used the AVP, VP, SVP titles. Two out of the three had a corresponding band number to the title. Was thinking like you said, maybe HR put the wrong band number in their ERP software and you got screwed out of AVP icon_lol.gif
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework