Options

A+ job

adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
If I see a job requiring an A+ cert, will they turn me down if I don't have it, but I have a Net+ and Sec+ instead?

Comments

• Options
    NightfallxNightfallx Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If I see a job requiring an A+ cert, will they turn me down if I don't have it, but I have a Net+ and Sec+ instead?

No you should be fine, most IT managers know that the Net+ and Sec+ are higher certs. Why not take the A+? I was able to pass it without studying.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You should be fine :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    davec8080davec8080 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□

My most recent job required an A+ cert, oddly. I didn't think anything of it, as I was already A+ certified. But then after I started working, my manager said I had a few weeks to get A+ certified (?!?!?!?). Turns out one of the clients was very specific, wanting all workers to be A+ "CE" certified.

Net+ and Sec+ are considered to be "higher ranking" certifications. However, the A+ is a certification that tests a much broader skillset than Net+ and Security+ combined. From personal experience and knowing many people with all three certifications, I can tell you of the CompTIA triad of certs, the cert exams are in terms of difficulty:
    1) A+ Software
    2) A+ hardware
    3) Network+
    4) Security+

That is to say, if you are net+ and sec+ certified, then you have already passed the two EASIER exams of the four listed. Some think the A+ exams are easy, and I would agree, to a point. But regardless, the current network+ exam was much easier than A+ 902, and Security+ exam is easier than Network+. It's kind of counter-intuitive. You would think that the higher ranked exam would be harder, but the exact opposite is true according to everyone I have talked to who holds all three certs...

What makes the A+ harder is the broad scope of knowledge required. There is not as much material to cover to prepare for network+ or security+. For A+ you pretty much have to be a bit of an expert on everything, including some network+ and security+ knowledge areas...

I don't think your NOT having A+ would disqualify you from getting the job. But don't be surprised if your new boss gives you a short amount of time to test 220-901 and 220-902 and pass them...

A+ is required by some employers, because their clients require it...
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    davec8080 wrote: »
    That is to say, if you are net+ and sec+ certified, then you have already passed the two EASIER exams of the four listed.

Don't listen to this nonsense. A+ is an entry level and is the easiest cert to pass, and most would agree.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    PseudonymousPseudonymous Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    davec8080 wrote: »
    I can tell you of the CompTIA triad of certs, the cert exams are in terms of difficulty:
    1) A+ Software
    2) A+ hardware
    3) Network+
    4) Security+
    To each his own, but I strongly disagree. While I think all of them are challenging, I found both A+ certs to be much easier than the Network+ (I'm studying for the Security + and it seems harder than the A+ as well).
    Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA: CyberOps, eJPT, ITIL, etc.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No....
    BUT....
    In my experience they may/may not require you to get the A+ within 6 months of hire on the job. Most jobs that require the A+ may not recognize your other certs because the job requires you to have A+. My advice is to either get your A+ or look for jobs that do not require it. If your looking for a deskside support or field services job... most of them will require it because field services jobs are more hands on... dealing with Printers, computers, servers, etc.... That requires knowledge of components
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    davec8080davec8080 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cameron M wrote: »
    To each his own, but I strongly disagree. While I think all of them are challenging, I found both A+ certs to be much easier than the Network+ (I'm studying for the Security + and it seems harder than the A+ as well).

Just saying, everybody I've talked to (dozens of people) who hold all three of the basic COMPTIA certs all agree on the point that Security+ is the easiest of the CompTIA exams, and Network+ is also easy, compared to the A+ exams (902 in particular).

Now obviously, and particular individual might disagree based on his/her knowledge base. That is, to YOU, network+ might seem harder than A+. But all of the people I know who hold all three certifications all mention the same recurring theme...
    That when they tested for Security+, they found it easy, compared to network+ and A+

Before I tested all three, I was only A+ certified. I had a coworker who was let's say...slow, as far as IT skills go. He told me he wanted to get his Security+ certification. This is a guy who would REQUIRE at least 6 months of study to even ATTEMPT the A+ exams. But he was telling me that he wanted to test Security+ soon. I told him to get A+ and Network+ first. He ignored my advice, studied for TWO WEEKS and passed Security+ on first try with a very high score. That was my first hint that security+ might be easy...
    If HE could pass it, almost without studying, then it was clearly ENTRY level material.
    Since then I have talked to many people who hold all three certifications. If asked about how difficult the exams were, they all say the same thing. Most say Security+ was easy, compared to the other exams. Some to on to report that Network+ was easier than A+. My personal experience agrees with all of them.

Security+ is easy. Network+ is easy, also (not as easy as Security+ though).
    A+ 902 is also easy, but a real challenge compared to network+ or security+.
    A+ 901 is roughly same difficulty as network+, but harder than Security+

I know many people will disagree with me. But it's a common theme among people who hold all three CompTIA certs. Security+ is the easiest to PASS, even though it's the highest "ranked".
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If that were to happen, it's because the company allows an HR lackey to screen out applicants. Any IT hiring manager will see that you are more than qualified (not overqualified) with those certs.
    I do agree that you should go ahead and knock out the A+, it is fairly easy, and in my experience, the only CompTIA cert that has any market value outside DoD contracting world.