Options

Microsoft Online Proctored Exams

djrabesdjrabes Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

My nearest test centre is about an hour away and this is quite a drag and means I have to book days off work to go and do the certs that I want.

I'm looking at Microsoft OP exams as they provide good flexibility and means I don't have to travel 100ish miles there and back. Has anyone used these before? Just because its more convenient does that mean its better?
Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016, Windows 10
Studying: Exam 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure
Want: MCSA: Office 365, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure Exam 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure), Network+, Security+

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I have used online exams (HDI and ITIL foundation). It is convenient, (ITIL, though can be a pain in the ass).
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The online exams I've taken (ITIL, Microsoft) are a mixed bag. The ITIL stuff was recorded, so that was actually easier. You just read a piece of text and do exactly what it says to setup for the exam.

The Microsoft one is WAY more of a ballache. As it's live, you have to "check-in" with an examiner, who checks literally everything, including the non-existant frame of my clear glasses to see if I am cheating in any way whatsoever. Oh, and if you have any spare monitors or screens within about a mile of your location (I exaggerate, but it feels like it!), then they'll ask you to disconnect the power and video cable, turn it away, cover it with a cloth and probably enchant it with some such encantation.

Oh and expect to take longer doing the scan of the room for them than anything else.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    Oh great aha. Sounds like they really don't want people to **** icon_lol.gif
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016, Windows 10
    Want: MCSA: Office 365, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure Exam 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure), Network+, Security+
  • Options
    djrabes wrote: »
    Oh great aha. Sounds like they really don't want people to **** icon_lol.gif

Of course, I think we all want that. But they do go overboard, I feel. Of course, it's their system and I choose to pay to use it, I get that, but it could still be done without making the person feel like a criminal. ;)
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
  • Options
    Phalanx wrote: »
    Of course, I think we all want that. But they do go overboard, I feel. Of course, it's their system and I choose to pay to use it, I get that, but it could still be done without making the person feel like a criminal. ;)

Would you recommend that though? - I can probably get a small room in work without any distractions (TVs, Screens etc)
  • Options
    Essentially, you need a room where noone will interfere, even in the slightest. No phone calls, no people walking around, no background chatter, etc.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Interestingly enough my ITIL exam was exactly how you described your Microsoft experience. I was periodically asked to swing my laptop around to show my desk and my office was empty lol.
    The online exams I've taken (ITIL, Microsoft) are a mixed bag. The ITIL stuff was recorded, so that was actually easier. You just read a piece of text and do exactly what it says to setup for the exam.

The Microsoft one is WAY more of a ballache. As it's live, you have to "check-in" with an examiner, who checks literally everything, including the non-existant frame of my clear glasses to see if I am cheating in any way whatsoever. Oh, and if you have any spare monitors or screens within about a mile of your location (I exaggerate, but it feels like it!), then they'll ask you to disconnect the power and video cable, turn it away, cover it with a cloth and probably enchant it with some such encantation.

Oh and expect to take longer doing the scan of the room for them than anything else.
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh, and if you have any spare monitors or screens within about a mile of your location (I exaggerate, but it feels like it!), then they'll ask you to disconnect the power and video cable, turn it away, cover it with a cloth and probably enchant it with some such encantation.
    multiple VMs feeding into the same physical monitor might be a solution for someone...the whole idea of online cert tests just seems wierd and an open invitation to cheats of some kind.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I agree, but, those inclined to **** find other ways to **** anyway. Those who study and earn certificates the hard way will be less inclined to ****.
    mbarrett wrote: »
    multiple VMs feeding into the same physical monitor might be a solution for someone...the whole idea of online cert tests just seems wierd and an open invitation to cheats of some kind.