Whats better to get?

ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
My lab currently has 3 2811 routers and 3 3750 switches. I dont like moving the console cable from devise to devise. To control them all from 1 PC I can get a 2509/2511 terminal server, or I can put together a PC that has 2 serial port add in cards. Each card has 4 serial ports for a total of 8 serial ports. The cost would be about the same, but I am thinking the experience with the terminal server would be a nice plus.

Thoughts?
2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When I had my lab going, I bought a bunch of Console cables, one for each router and switch. Then hooked them all up with Serial to USB cables, and bought a USB hub and had them all hooked to my computer at once at the one USB port.
  • ebohlmanebohlman Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go to Ebay and look for a used Digi CM-48 or CM-32. Those let you connect to Cisco console ports using plain straight-through Ethernet cables. They should be cheaper than the combination of an old 2500-series router with octal cables.
  • rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    Can you not simply SSH or Telnet into your devices?
    No longer an active member
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you could also look at getting a nm-16a or nm-32a network module for one of your 2811 routers. it could serve double duty as a terminally server also. Just depends on how much you will reloading that router, as when it would be reloaded you'd lose all your console connections. But, you can always put the network module in an old and cheap 2600 router. Then you'd have a stand alone solution. and, depending on configuration, an extra router when you need one.

I've used usb hubs, digi, 2509/11, and others. They all take a certain amount of working with cables and configuration, etc. to get up and running. And, of course, they always break when your doing something. With some solutions, you are on your own trying to fix it. reboot your pc, check the cables, settings, etc. Make sure you have it all documented. and spares for inexpensive components like extra cables.

as far as the 2509/11, there are a lot of documents online for setting them up. And, many people will help you out with them. But, those octal cable are short and if you break a connector, you now have a 7 port octal cable. But, you can get ethernet extenders. extend the cables to what length or configuration you like. And, you have a sacrificial connector at the end that you can replace when it breaks. I have never used the extenders, but I have broken connectors.
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I bought a 2821 for $30AUD and an NM16A $60AUD from eBay. Using that as an 8 port (up to 16) terminal server. I also installed 3 very low speed 80mm fans in the 2821 to reduce the noise. Whisper quiet now :)
  • Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rob42 wrote: »

Thats what I'm wondering too. Doesn't your hardware allow you to setup ssh / telnet on it?

I would have thought that you'd only need your console cable for initial config then you could just ssh into everything.
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    rob42 wrote: »

Console access is always best as it allows you to totally break Layer 1-3 and still have access to the devices.
  • ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I did not realize there were so many options.
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    Went with a 2620 and an NM-32a. The 32a is overkill, but it was only $5 more than the 16a, so why not? Still need to pick up the octo cable. After I get the octo cable i will be down $100.00.

97wfq.jpg
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I was going to say Digi CM32 or CM48.

maybe $40 tops
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    I was going to say Digi CM32 or CM48.

maybe $40 tops

I considered that, but when I looked on eBay the cheapest I saw was $180. Of course today I look and find one for $46. Here is the link, they have 5.

Digi CM32 50000838-05 C 32 Port Console Server RJ-45 CM-32/ 5490 | eBay
  • mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Although you already have bought something I use Perle Systems serial cards

Buy Perle SPEED 2 LE Serial Card
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University