Options

Do you highlight and mark in reference books?

CyberCop123CyberCop123 Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just a random one - kind of related to how you study.

Do you actually mark your books - like highlight text or write in the margin, underline, etc?

I only ask as tech/IT books are difficult at times to just read - like you traditionally do as there's terminology, jargon, code, references and all of that. So naturally marking the book may help.

So, do you... what's your technique?
My Aims
2017: OSCP -
COMPLETED
2018: CISSP -
COMPLETED
2019: GIAC GNFA - Advanced Network Forensics & Threat Hunting -
COMPLETED
           GIAC GREM - Reverse Engineering of Malware -
COMPLETED

2021: CCSP
2022: OSWE (hopefully)

Comments

• Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I always do it and only if I own the book myself. This is part of the reason why i don't like eBooks. I can't highlight.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just a random one - kind of related to how you study.

Do you actually mark your books - like highlight text or write in the margin, underline, etc?

I only ask as tech/IT books are difficult at times to just read - like you traditionally do as there's terminology, jargon, code, references and all of that. So naturally marking the book may help.

So, do you... what's your technique?

mark in books???? Who does that???? That brings the value of the book down.... because if you want to sell it later it has to be in crisp condition!!!!!

Kidding.... its friday.

To Answer your question I mark up my books with a highlighter AND a pen...I mainly underline and highlight what I underline....
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Remedymp wrote: »
    I always do it and only if I own the book myself. This is part of the reason why i don't like eBooks. I can't highlight.

Technically you can... it depends on what you want to use to read the book. Use Adobe digital editions for your ebooks...

You can thank me in caps from the wasteland (fallout reference)
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Only for errata. I don't know a way to fix errata in a pdf and I wish I did, especially for programming books.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    mark in books???? Who does that???? That brings the value of the book down.... because if you want to sell it later it has to be in crisp condition!!!!!

I agree. It's going to be hard to sell my MCSE NT 4.0 books (never took an exam) with all that highlighter in it. People just don't find the value in marked up books. Now, my Windows 2000 books are on the market in pristine condition. I guess people are just really picky when it comes to the condition. :)

I do highlight my books. For things to focus on when skimming the book closer to the exam. Pick up on things that I struggle with. Or little things where the author or someone said "Remember this, it'll be on the exam!".
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I take notes in a notebook. The only time I've ever underlined a book was in a business law class when the professor suggested that we do it.

The only exception I make is I will go through the errata and one line the typos and write in the correct information.

On the subject of updating PDFs with errata, I believe if you buy through CiscoPress/pearsonitcertification they will generate/regenerate the ebook/PDF with the latest corrections to it each time you download it if there have been changes since the last time you downloaded it.
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since I have switched to ebooks completely (not enough room in my house for all of the books), I copy and paste relevant sections into Word files. This is especially useful when I'm studying for a certification. I'll create a separate file for each domain and then build my own reference guide from multiple sources. Then I can be assured of covering all of the topics outlined in the exam objectives.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    first thing i do with any book is look up the errata on the publisher's page and make edits with whiteout and pen.

now for highlighting, I use a combo of a few main highlighter colors that signify different things (hard science students do this for formulas, theories etc)
    I use Green for commands and shell things, and yellow for main 'should knows' and blue or orange for real world examples.

I also sometimes just underline with color if its not that important but should be known. This makes the page less cluttered.

Also, be sure to draw plenty of arrows that lead into your margin so that you can enter your own words that better clarify.

I used to use adobe to highlight, but its so fake for me.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes, the association of moving my hand and focusing on what I am reading helps map my short term memory to my long term storage.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For some reason I only used highlighter with printouts, but with books I make marks with a pencil.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    Eightn9neEightn9ne Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yep. My reference books look like trash by the time I'm done with it.

I tried using eBooks and found myself regretting it 5 minutes later.
  • Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    15cTSvF.jpg

And this is one of my "lighter" marked pages. :)
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I don't mark books becuase I have an obsession with keeping all things in pristine condition. I either take notes in OneNote or a physical notebook. Phalanx's book up there is inducing shortness of breath.
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I don't mark books becuase I have an obsession with keeping all things in pristine condition. I either take notes in OneNote or a physical notebook. Phalanx's book up there is inducing shortness of breath.

I am like you on this, most of my book even after weeks of study are as pristine as new one.. :) I am kind of OCD on this.
  • Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »

Hehe, sorry buddy. It's weird. I actually like the feel of a page when it has been "roughed up" with notes and highlighters. Difficult to explain. :)
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Phalanx gave you rep for that one. Looks like several of my SQL books many moons ago when I attended the community college.
  • Options
    BluesbreakerBluesbreaker Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am studying for SSCP exam now. I generally like to read an entire textbook thoroughly while highlighting. I make sure I understand what I'm reading and I do the quizzes too. Then I go back and study in greater depth using whatever methods are needed; read study materials multiple times, take practice quizzes and exams, do hands on exercises. labs, or coursework if needed.

For example, I highlighted and read every single page of Network+ and SSCP textbook exam guides. And I never just memorize subject matter. I won't take an exam unless I understand the concepts. I don't have much IT experience, so It will probably take me longer than many of you. I am going to take my time.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Noooooo

Sometimes I donate my old books. I'd rather take notes for myself and print stuff off.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used to highlight my books but I had to stop doing that...doing so turned my screen yellow. On a serious note, I usually take notes, then highlight the notes that represent material that I don't answer correctly in the test prep software that I use for that certification.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't mark up books, but mine are full up those little sticky tabs.
  • Options
    Clifton125Clifton125 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Obviously, Study is not a just reading and writing but also a matter of realizing.So I always try to do it.