Options

Anyone own a laptop from Eluktronics?

ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
Been researching for a new laptop for general use/running VM's and this brand seems to have high ratings on Amazon.

Found a laptop of theirs for $1,500 and has the following specs:

15.6 Full HD IPS LED Anti-Glare Display
4GB GDDR5 VRAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics
32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM
Intel Core 7th Gen i7-7700HQ Quad Core processor (6MB L3 Cache)
Windows 10 (Clean installation, no bloatware)
1TB Eluktro Pro-X Ultra Performance PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
+ 2TB Seagate FireCuda Hyrbrid 5400RPM hard drive
Intel Dual-Band Wireless-AC
Full size RGB backlit keyboard

This price seems really low considering what you get with it...but the reviews are overwhelmingly great. Anyone own one of these who can comment?

Comments

• Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    I actually have one, forgot what model, but I paid 1200 for a few extras like the upgraded screen and a little better CPU. It is the 15in. I ended up buying my own 32gb ram, upgrading to a m2 SSD 1TB and forgo on the graphics card(i got the cheapest option).

Now the specs are great, I can run multiple VMs without a problem, it's blazing fast on my processes in and out of a virtualized environment and I out gun my friends and colleagues who have the professional Dells and Lenovo. I believe I have the 7700 HQ or something like that and most of them don't have that high of a processing power. My laptop is on par with my desktop to be honest. Also a plus, AC wifi integrated. Windows 10 pro comes installed. No bloatware at all, except if you count the backlit and fan control center app.

Now the bad, the body for one. It's flimsy, almost cheap, but not exactly. Feels like if you drop it one time, the screen might just break off or pop out. The body is pretty loose too. You can twist the screen body and it starts popping out. The fan is loud. It might be just me, but I need total silence sometimes and the fan blare up when you have some moderate intense programs. Seems to get hot kind of quick. This is a con for me, but RGB backlit keys, i'm not a teen, so at times when you are in a semi professional setting, my purple gaming backlit keys turn on by default when you first power on the laptop. Keyboard typing leaves a lot to be desired, not the best laptop keyboard feel (admittedly i'm a mx keyboard snob). Did I mention the body is butt ugly? I'm not a gamer (anymore =) and I really envy my buddies aluminum body and Apples probook keyboards. mine didn't come with usb-C, maybe new models do.

Overall, I like my laptop, excellent for the money (can't be beat) if you can withstand the few flaws, but I wish I would've spent a few 100 more for a system76 laptop.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    When did you purchase it? It seems like they have come out with newer model's recently. All reviews on Newegg and Amazon are 4 1/2 - 5 stars. However, some people do say they run hot and can be noisy which is the biggest drawback. They are in Delaware though (tax free!).

I wasn't really looking for anything that resembled a gaming laptop, but they seem to be the best option for high performance functions. I don't do any gaming, but virtualization will be crucial to me for labbing so the colored keyboard isn't a problem nor the bulkiness. The new one's do come with USB-C which I just verified.

I really like the MBP's body style and keys, but I can't justify spending $2000+ on something that has fairly minimal specs. I also looked at Lenovo and Dell and it seems like if you get anything with i7, 16+GB Ram or over 256GB SSD it's an easy $1800+. I could just buy a lower end model and buy the extras myself, but honestly I just don't want to deal with it.

Checked out system76's too and they seem great, but definitely at a higher price.

Tough decision....
  • Options
    I got this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7YTLD0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess I do have usb-c, I guess I meant whatever the new usb standard is, I don't keep up anymore. Also it comes with Home and not Pro which could be a factor.
    Reading
  • Options
    You can customize through their website to have Pro installed.

I appreciate the feedback. I think I may pull the trigger and purchase one as I can't find anything else for less than $1500 that has the same specs/reviews.
  • Options
    I have been very happy with mine, don't get me wrong, just that I go to more professional gatherings and I don't plan on buying a new one for a few years, spending a little more wouldn't of been all that bad. It's an awesome laptop for sure.
    Reading
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    I have one that's similar to yours but with a 1060 and smaller hard drives. I really like it, and it was the only laptop I've seen on the market, when I bought it, that could support 64Gb of RAM and still be affordable ($1200-1300). I run a lot of VMs for labbing so I need the memory. I haven't attempted to upgrade it yet (waiting for a sale), but the 32Gb is sufficient for now. I've ran 2 Juniper vMXs and 10 vSRXs along with a Windows Server running NPS, and I didn't see any performance issues though it was getting close to utilizing all of the RAM.