eJPT Review 8/14

KhohezionKhohezion Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
There have been a few of these over the past couple of weeks, but I thought I should post up my own review as well. I think this certification is a good starting point for anyone who wants to get into security/pentesting

Lectures:
The course gives 12 lectures separated into 3 sections that you can view on their website. The first half of the lectures is to prep the users the second half of course. I enjoyed this in comparison to other certs I have attempted (lol OSCP).

Videos
A very nice combo with the lectures and labs, rather than making me go around and seeing how commands are supposed to work they complimented the lectures very well and gave a rather good explanations. Not much else to say about this.

Labs:
Most of the labs were straightforward and the ones that weren't made me realize what I needed to work on. The one lab I had no idea what I was doing was the exact reason why I took so long to do my exam... A great experience. I spent roughly 12 hours in the labs and I bought the elite package... so next time I think I will spend more time in the labs.

Exam:
The exam took me 24+ hours to complete... I took a nap and ate of course and I am going to shower after I post this review. But the one thing I am going to say to anyone who attempts this exam or anything in regards to this course is to READ EVERYTHING and MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL THE DOCUMENTS THEY PROVIDE. I could have finished the exam in 5-6 hours if I did...

Conclusion:
eLearnSecurity's Penetration Testing Student 3 (aka eJPT) is in my opinion one of the best places to start in pentesting if you have no idea what to do. The course guides you with slides/videos and labs to teach you basic pentesting techniques from information gathering to exploitation (the course did not go over post exploitation). This course is not going to turn you into hackerman or anything but I would say that it is a good start

There is also a link for the barebones plan floating somewhere around the forum I think, that link just provides the slides so if it is still active, give it a try the barebones is free.

Let me know if you guys have any questions for this.

Comments

• MashoTGMashoTG Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Would you say knowing linux or programming languages like python or perl, are mandatory before attempting this?
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MashoTG wrote: »
    Would you say knowing linux or programming languages like python or perl, are mandatory before attempting this?

not necessarily.
  • Captain_DeadpoolCaptain_Deadpool Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • KhohezionKhohezion Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MashoTG wrote: »

You should be fine as long as you follow all the labs. Everything you need to know is in the labs. This is the best intro cert to actually getting hands on experience for pentesting.
  • yhadjiyhadji Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanka for sharing these info..

Two questions:
    - how long did it take you to read and paaa the exam?
    - what is you techincal backround?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□