Options

I am not attacking a fellow professioanl but just hard to believe he is human

2»

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Nutsy wrote: »
    Oy Mate, Greg Ferro, Greg Ferro, Greg Ferro............................

It's 12:30AM in the UK. Let the poor man sleep!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    NutsyNutsy Member Posts: 136
    I thought there motto was, "Where too much networking would never be enough?" icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh, and apparently bilingual to boot.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thanks everyone. It does make one a little jealous..I mean I love all the cool technology and you just want to know how they got so luck hitting all the topics and working in jobs where the technology is all CCIE level..thanks flashdumper....it is a funny name but I get it...spoof is now a bad name but it can be used for good! thanks for you comments..it would be nice for you flashdumper to tell us your study skills and share how you think, but what sucks is a lot of smart people cannot ever explain how they study or think to anyone because they are so smart.. i had friend in air force who had photo graphic mememory was sick what he could remember but what is nice is flash can do both apply and see it in his mind. that is a gift of course.. thanks for the replies..I am not questioning in a bad way just want to understand how can you hit so many at such a deep level , your mind must map automatically everything you learn from each cert...wow ..I need that magic brain pill now hahahahah
  • Options
    flashdumperflashdumper Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    itdaddy wrote: »
    thanks everyone. It does make one a little jealous..I mean I love all the cool technology and you just want to know how they got so luck hitting all the topics and working in jobs where the technology is all CCIE level..thanks flashdumper....it is a funny name but I get it...spoof is now a bad name but it can be used for good! thanks for you comments..it would be nice for you flashdumper to tell us your study skills and share how you think, but what sucks is a lot of smart people cannot ever explain how they study or think to anyone because they are so smart.. i had friend in air force who had photo graphic mememory was sick what he could remember but what is nice is flash can do both apply and see it in his mind. that is a gift of course.. thanks for the replies..I am not questioning in a bad way just want to understand how can you hit so many at such a deep level , your mind must map automatically everything you learn from each cert...wow ..I need that magic brain pill now hahahahah

You are welcome! :)
    People ask me how I did it. And it's not a secret to be honest with you.
    1. I was extremely lucky. Especially on CCDE, randomly answering some questions.
    2. I had no family and plenty of free time. During weekends up to 18 hrs a day of non-stop studying. Weekdays up to 12.
    3. My Employer was supporting me all the way encouraging and giving me the amount of time I needed. Freeing me up from some projects. I helped a lot dedicating my all time just for certification.
    4. I was passionate and had good examples (thanks, Peter).
    5. I was dumb but could absorb lot of information.
    6. Collaboration is the key. I've been always studying in groups. You have to find like-mind people with the same goals, timelines and dedication. Use internet -> google and social networks will help you.

Good example is while I was preparing for Collaboration. We've been studying together over the internet for some time and then I bough tickets and I sat together in a house for 2 weeks with other guys, working on it 24x7. We had all different skills and experience. I was good at networking and CUCM, other - with CME, 3rd with Unity AND Contact Center, 4th with IM and a bit of everything else. Do you know how powerful it is?

And everyone's situation is different. I had enough time to find my own way.
    It's not that easy as is sounds and requires a lot of things to come together which make the chance of its happening quite slim, and it's definitely not for everyone. Especially for those who have families. I did realize that once my little one was born.

I hope that helps.
  • Options
    ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    1. I was extremely lucky. Especially on CCDE, randomly answering some questions.

This is an extremely important point. I passed R/S on one attempt, due in part to hard studying, but in part due to the fact that my two weakest subjects didn't appear on the test. Had I gotten a different exam, I might well have failed.

My CCIE Security took three attempts, partly because I screwed up studying, partly because I was not lucky. (Same with my two attempts for the JNCIE.)

Nevertheless, I'm much happier to space 3 expert exams over 10 years. I think you missed #7 which is you're probably a little nuts.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Unfortunately, no way to change the username after I joined so stuck with my poor choice of username. doh!

I for one actually like my username, it's based on some dog and his technical ability. What I need now is some aliases for pen testing and analyzing malware.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are welcome! :)
    People ask me how I did it. And it's not a secret to be honest with you.
    2. I had no family and plenty of free time. During weekends up to 18 hrs a day of non-stop studying. Weekdays up to 12.
    3. My Employer was supporting me all the way encouraging and giving me the amount of time I needed. Freeing me up from some projects. I helped a lot dedicating my all time just for certification.
    4. I was passionate and had good examples (thanks, Peter).
    5. I was dumb but could absorb lot of information.
    6. Collaboration is the key. I've been always studying in groups. You have to find like-mind people with the same goals, timelines and dedication. Use internet -> google and social networks will help you.

Good example is while I was preparing for Collaboration. We've been studying together over the internet for some time and then I bough tickets and I sat together in a house for 2 weeks with other guys, working on it 24x7. We had all different skills and experience. I was good at networking and CUCM, other - with CME, 3rd with Unity AND Contact Center, 4th with IM and a bit of everything else. Do you know how powerful it is?

And everyone's situation is different. I had enough time to find my own way.
    It's not that easy as is sounds and requires a lot of things to come together which make the chance of its happening quite slim, and it's definitely not for everyone. Especially for those who have families. I did realize that once my little one was born.

I hope that helps.

That sounds like an awesome way to study. I'd be willing to leave town if I could find a group of people that dedicated to study with.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Scott Morris pops up around here? The man is an absolute legend.

I can see why people would be skeptical, but I always remember a video I saw at a Cisco Live! once where Anthony Sequeira recounts the tale of one young Petr Lapukhov... and I think it goes along the lines of "yeah, you just rack up the equipment, and then go and read the DocCD".

If the guy can just do that and knock out 4 CCIE's in 2 years, then more power to him. He's clearly some kind of genius. Though I will say, having now done one CCIE, and starting to get some real IE experience, I can see how guys who have been at it for years can knock them out quickly.
  • Options
    joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What is this DocCD you mention?
  • Options
    adam9870adam9870 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□

During this time did you normally work? Did not you feel tired?

I work from 8 am to 4 pm, I'm back home at 5 pm or 6 pm and I feel too tired to study. How to deal with this - any special diet or something else?
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    adam9870 wrote: »

I work from 8 am to 4 pm, I'm back home at 5 pm or 6 pm and I feel too tired to study. How to deal with this - any special diet or something else?

I work usually at least 8-7pm and still study/lab on and off until midnight. It's usually motivation, routine and forcing yourself to do it
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    adam9870 wrote: »

Doesn't really work for me, but maybe you should try studying 1 hour in the morning before work.
    I work usually at least 8-7pm and still study/lab on and off until midnight. It's usually motivation, routine and forcing yourself to do it

You're super human though
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What is this DocCD you mention?

Cisco's Documentation at one stage in time used to be available on a Compact Disc. This was all that was available to the CCIE candidate during the labs. Or so I've been told from the tales.
  • Options
    SmilymarcoSmilymarco Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Studying has to become a routine. You need to get used to it.
    It starts with the motivation "I want to learn how to do this and that" or "I want that cert". (Most important part: i WANT it)

Then you need to free some time (cut the TV for 1 or 2 hours on two days a week, or Games/Internet or whatever).

In the beginning you need a strict schedule. For example: Every monday and friday from 19.00 to 20.30 is study time. No excuses allowed! (friday may be a bad example to begin with :P )
    After a few weeks you'll see more potential in yourself and in the way you study. (instead of reading the newspaper in the morning, you'll start to read another chapter of your study, you'll start reading in your lunch time, hear some audio books or podcasts on the daily commute and so on).
    You'll start to see free study time in your daily schedule and use it :) And may even have more free time, as you become way more efficient in the way you do stuff.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yeah, a lot of the old school trainers still refer to it as the DocCD. I've never had the CD, just the online thing but just picked up on the name, I guess.
  • Options
    adam9870adam9870 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Smilymarco: You're right.
    I once went to the client and waited 30 minutes. After the meeting, I came to the conclusion that while I was waiting, I could look at the test cases.