Options

Another BS degree?

MrSecurityGuyMrSecurityGuy Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is it worth to gain an additional bachelor of science in information assurance / cyber security degree if you already have one in business management?

Comments

• Options
    bEastCoastbEastCoast Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My understanding is that it is not necessarily worth it. If a security role is what you are after and you already have a bachelors, consider certs. I am just considering the time/money it will take to get a degree vs some certification. Side note - WGU is an option where you can get both. But it really boils down to the resources you have available to you and your current situation
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would recommend getting a masters degree instead. Most job recs around here ask for a BSc in computer science, IT, or business. By getting the MSc instead, you are showing upward educational movement.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Business management is a great degree. I would look into Certs or an MS in IA.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I agree, go for the Masters. And certs too.
    Business management is a great degree. I would look into Certs or an MS in IA.
  • Options
    MrSecurityGuyMrSecurityGuy Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great! I'll skip the bs and go for master and certs. It looks like the certs will really open the door for me despite not having direct experience in networking / system admin role.

I see the same happening for many folks on LinkedIn who seem to jump into security after knocking out some certs. However,
    what don't I quite understand is that how does someone have 6+ certs in security all done in the span of one to two years?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    One word: dedication. I know a guy who was fired and took his severance to do 9 SANS courses in a row through Work Study along with a few certs over the span of several months.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dang...now my head hurts from contemplating what it would take to get through 9 SANS courses in a row. Good on him!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That's kind of what I did when I was laid off; between applying for jobs I studied and knocked out certs. It definitely got me started in IT.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    One word: dedication. I know a guy who was fired and took his severance to do 9 SANS courses in a row through Work Study along with a few certs over the span of several months.