WGU MSCIA: Thoughts after 18 days

Comments

• devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Blucodex wrote: »
    All I will have left after this week is VLT2 - Security Policies and Standards and LQT2 - Capstone Project.
    Awesome progress. I submitted my Capstone prospectus and have 8 weeks left.
  • zdxzdx Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can you do a substantial amount of courses during the term? Are you limited to taking just one course at a time?
    zdx wrote: »
    Can you do a substantial amount of courses during the term? Are you limited to taking just one course at a time?
    You can take as many as you can finish.
  • BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Alright, alright, alriiiiiight.

FXT2 Task 3 passed. Been busy the last two nights so I haven't resubmitted Task 1 yet. Will re-work and submit tonight. Hopefully get a pass over the weekend.

I've been talking about it but not being about my OSCP exam. It's been re-scheduled for the 24th of this month. I will try and focus the next few weeks on that as well as getting 1-2 papers done for VLT2.
    FXT2 Task 1 has passed and I submitted VLT2 Task 1 this morning. Feeling good today!

Classes Completed

C701 - Ethical Hacking (CEH Certification) 8/11
    JIT2 - Risk Management 8/17
    C700 - Secure Network Design 8/24
    TFT2 - Cyberlaw, Regulations, and Compliance 8/28
    C706 - Secure Software Design 8/31
    C688 - Cyberwarfare 9/19
    C702 - Forensics and Network Intrusion 10/23
    FXT2 - Disaster Recovery Planning, Prevention and Response 11/02
    VLT2 - Security Policies and Standards - Best Practices 11/18

In Progress
    LQT2 -Information Security and Assurance Capstone Project - due by 1/31. Targeting 12/31.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's great! I'm working on FXT2 Task 1 right now and finding it quite dry!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Excellent progress! Thanks for all the info.
    VLT2 Task1 has passed. Will work on Task2 while I primarily focus on my OSCP that happens the 24th.

Advice for VLT2 Task1. Pay close attention to differences between a threat, vulnerability, and risk. If you're not careful it's easy to get them worded incorrectly.
    VLT2 Task 2 submitted this morning, 99 in queue. Task 3 looks very short. Should turn that in within the next 7 days.
    Great job! I finished FXT2, just capstone now.
    Great job! I finished FXT2, just capstone now.

Awesome, good work!
    Woot! Task 2 passed. They must be slamming through the grading today.
    Way to go, you are crushing it.
    Task 3 has passed. Spoke with Capstone Department today and have instructions for submitting the prospectus.
    About to turn in VLT2 Task 4. Just taking a 5 minute break before I finish the last section and head to work.

I will turn in my Capstone prospectus sometime this week (will probably choose based upon a technology my employer is looking to implement within the year) and try my damndest to cram for the OSCP which takes place 11/24 6pm MST. My attitude is good but expectations are low lol. I didn’t expect to start my masters shortly after but life can change quickly!

I’ll have 2 months to finish my capstone so I can’t see an issue there. I’ll be confirming when Task 4 is a pass and then report back sometime during the Capstone. When I am done I will try to post some finishing remarks and tips about my WGU journey. And then moving my efforts towards the OSCP.
    Blucodex wrote: »
    About to turn in VLT2 Task 4. Just taking a 5 minute break before I finish the last section and head to work.

I will turn in my Capstone prospectus sometime this week (will probably choose based upon a technology my employer is looking to implement within the year) and try my damndest to cram for the OSCP which takes place 11/24 6pm MST. My attitude is good but expectations are low lol. I didn’t expect to start my masters shortly after but life can change quickly!

I’ll have 2 months to finish my capstone so I can’t see an issue there. I’ll be confirming when Task 4 is a pass and then report back sometime during the Capstone. When I am done I will try to post some finishing remarks and tips about my WGU journey. And then moving my efforts towards the OSCP.
    Good luck! You got this.
    Great progress - really admire your commitment. You can do it!
  • EddieW818EddieW818 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great job. I'm a little behind you, in a mad dash to finish VLT2, any pointers?
    VLT2 Task 4 was a pass. VLT2 is complete. On to the Cap!
    EddieW818 wrote: »
    Great job. I'm a little behind you, in a mad dash to finish VLT2, any pointers?
    Don't assume anything on the part of the graders. Say what, why, and how. Clearly explain everything and you'll be fine.
    Little change in plans. I've realized no matter how hard I work this week I won't be ready for the OSCP and I can't push it back again. Family coming in town for Thanksgiving and just lack of preparation since August. I'm okay with that.

I worked on the Capstone over the weekend and have a solid 15 page start. I'm anticipating a 60+ page paper when done. As for Friday, I'll get in the OSCP and use the 24 hours to poke around and have the experience, no pressure.
    Quick update. Turned in my Capstone Prospectus, should be graded this morning. Working on Capstone paper, currently at 27 pages. I am expecting somewhere between 60-90 when I am done. If I can wrap this paper up by 12/10 I should be in good shape to finish my Xmas.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You'll do fine. Do some dry runs on your oral defense before the call. It won't be a big deal.
  • mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are they still doing live calls? I just had to record my presentation using Panopto, no live call at all. It was not clear whether that was a change in policy, or just something they do at the end of a term (I submitted with about 6 days left).
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
    It's the panopto now...How much detail did you go into on each of the areas where you learned something?
    Still waiting on Prospectus to pass, should happen within the next few hours.

Just submitted my Capstone written report. Phew, that was a long one. Not sure about a first time pass but at least it's up there and I'll know shortly if there are any shortcomings.

Next up is to start working on my powerpoint and get that all ready for final edits based upon Capstone written report completion.

Current goal is completion by the afternoon of 12/10 (leaving to Atlanta for work for 4 days) and current mood is excited. The end is oh so close.
    Great job!!
    Prospectus passed! Capstone Submitted. Hopefully I can get that passed by the weekend and get my Presentation submitted Saturday.
  • mindcrankmindcrank Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    H y p e ! ! !
    Certifications: A+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, VCP6-DCV, CISSP, C|EH, CPT, Project+, Linux+, GPEN, OSCP, GXPN, GCIH, CISSP-ISSEP, OSCE
    WGU, BS-IT, Security: Complete! November 2016
    Legend: Completed, In-Progress, Next
    Wooooooooooo!!! First time pass on the Capstone Written. I'll be getting my slides buttoned up and record my Panopto and submit by Sunday.