Options

Is networking / security not profitable as dev?

MrSecurityGuyMrSecurityGuy Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Recently, I was watching some YouTube and found eli the comp guy videos.

This guy basically says that if your starting IT after 30 or so then jump right into development. Networking is the least field you want to jump in as it's hard to get inti and pays much much less than dev. I would agree if reference was to help desk.

So is networking/ security less than dev?

I mean every grandma and pa are doing boot camp these days. I would think web dev is much easier to outsource than networking/ security.

Comments

• Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well I do notice when I browse IT or information system jobs, there do seem to be more software development jobs listed, and comparing the jobs with salaries posted, development seem to be pay more. Please note, this is just an anecdotal observation, and not even a thorough evaluation so take it with a grain of salt.
    On top of that, if you are creative, and a software developer, you could write your own apps, and if they sell well, there's another income stream.

I often wanted to get into development, but I just don't seem to have the temperament for it.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What interests you more? What do you have an aptitude for? Don't just look at average salaries and go with the one that's higher.

I've seen people working in IT stuck at the bottom for years, simply because they aren't interested enough and/or have zero aptitude for learning IT.

Make your decision based on what your good at.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This guy basically says that if your starting IT after 30 or so then jump right into development.
    Networking does need a solid background, imo and without that you will be in lower jobs that don't pay as well, imo.
    I'm not sure how that translates to development, however.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I believe he means, if you start in IT after 30, getting into networking could result in a bigger pay cut, than say if you went into development which have higher starting salaries. So rather than getting into networking, get into development.
    mbarrett wrote: »
    Networking does need a solid background, imo and without that you will be in lower jobs that don't pay as well, imo.
    I'm not sure how that translates to development, however.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□

I mean every grandma and pa are doing boot camp these days. I would think web dev is much easier to outsource than networking/ security.

I believe Developers get paid well is because it is a skill set that most people actually don't care to learn. Here is the wiki definition of DevOps, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DevOp. The first little paragraph describes pretty much what you will need to be good at. Don't think of developers as just people who know HTML....

The reason "Dev" positions probably get more on average is because there isn't many "low level" positions where your going to have start out making 40k a year at and have work your way up. You're gonna either be good at it and make a decent amount or your not going to be employed.

Either way, if your good at any of those fields you mentioned your going to be paid well.
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Software Development jobs tend to start much higher (~75-85k in my area), but when talking with friends who do development they often say how their salaries tend to hit a ceiling quickly unless they move into a senior/management role. Keep in mind though these folks tend to work A LOT more than your average IT infrastructure employee as they have strict project deadlines to meet.

Networking jobs start at a decent salary, but with years of experience you can do very well. Security is the same way. You often start lower, but with experience you will command better pay and less competition.

He's just saying if you were starting off in your 30's you'd probably want the higher starting pay for COL reasons.
  • Options
    jelevatedjelevated Member Posts: 139
    Saying that 30+ should start out in Dev is like saying if you don't have a college degree at 25, you should just jump into brain surgery instead since it pays better. Dev and networking are opposite ends of the spectrum. Both can be lucrative but there are way more high dollar jobs for developers than for networking. Product development works means dollars for the business. Meanwhile net admins have more and more complex roles. A competent network admin with the right set of tools can get A LOT done. A small team can effectively run a small-medium size campus LAN with ease. The skill set required for the average net admin, I believe, has gone thru the roof especially with QoS requirements and different technologies taking over to save dollars (VoIP, Conferencing etc). It isn't enough to just keep "the internet" working anymore.

Now if you are a network admin who isn't afraid to develop, hello $$$$$$$$$. Infact, coupling anything with real development chops will have dollar bills raining from the sky.

Who is more effective, the guy who can remote into a switch, one by one, hour by hour, day by day to do menial tasks,

or the superstar who can write tools to do all this with minimal effort. Now there is some difference. Network folks usually don't need to be proficient in compiled languages (e.g. C/C++) and scripting is the name of their game, but just being able to code and script somewhat will put you way ahead of the competition.

Security is the same way and employers are starting to wisen up to the game. Too many "security professionals" not knowing a lick about code, same thing applies, one by one, canned exploits produced by someone else only go so far. How do you asses 100,000 nodes? How do you change FW config on 100,000 nodes without something such as SCCM?
  • Options
    gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I mean every grandma and pa are doing boot camp these days.
    Somehow I doubt they teach all the algorithms, discrete math, automata, data structures and so on at those boot camps...
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Recently, I was watching some YouTube and found eli the comp guy videos.

This guy basically says that if your starting IT after 30 or so then jump right into development. Networking is the least field you want to jump in as it's hard to get inti and pays much much less than dev. I would agree if reference was to help desk.

You shouldn't follow the money, follow your passion IT! What do you want to do in IT?

Developers need a computer science degree, well at least the good ones do.

Security pays well, but you need some IT experience to be really good at security.

I do see a lot contracts for Dev. 6 months here and there....

Boot camps in my opinion, exists to take your money. I wouldn't go to a boot came, instead I would get a college degree from regionally accredited school. Beyond all this some companies will not hire developers or programmers that graduate from boot camps.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Eli is the biggest pessamist in IT.

He's a youtube talk show host who has a pc repair business. He has alot of opinions and thats about it.

I never take what he says seriously.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    follow your goals NOT what other people tell you about what to do. if you follow what other people say, you will never be happy! Don't chase the money... if you do what you love to do the money will come automatically. Use where you are now, to progress into what you want to be. If your goal is to be a Dev, in Infosec, Networking etc... you should be using downtime to study for that particular field...
    Always take what other people say with a "grain of salt"
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Always remember....

You are NEVER too old to pursue something.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    how much does dev vs networking/security makes?
    Ive personally know 4 dev and they dont make as much as me. All graduated in UC's and CSU's.
    You will always need a networking/ security guy. Dev is great if you can make something that is needed like apple,facebook, microsoft and etc.
    Although, a lot of these companies took or stole the idea and made something better.
  • Options
    jelevatedjelevated Member Posts: 139
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    how much does dev vs networking/security makes?
    Ive personally know 4 dev and they dont make as much as me. All graduated in UC's and CSU's.
    You will always need a networking/ security guy. Dev is great if you can make something that is needed like apple,facebook, microsoft and etc.
    Although, a lot of these companies took or stole the idea and made something better.

C'mon man, I wouldn't exactly expect a CCIE-W to be hurting for cash :). CCIEs can make as much as Devs in many areas (or in your case, more) but not everyone can reach that level.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Every specialty has its entry-level, mid-ranks and seniors, be careful not to compare entry-level X to senior Y. Can dev-ops make bank? Of course. Can a CCIE with a VCP in NSX make more bank? Probably. I know NetApp and Citrix guys with clearances who make over 200k. It's important to realize that one area is not another and one situation is not another.