Options

Should I apply? Required Exp 8+ years and I have 4.

100k100k Member Posts: 196
I am a currently a System Admin with about 4 years of experience and today saw a gem of a posting that I might be able to stretch into. Below are the desired requirements and I have placed an honest percentage beside it of my skill. So would you apply for this Lead System Engineering gig?

· Minimum 8+ years of experience with Microsoft’s Windows Server OS, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, IIS, Server Virtualization and Networking technologies. (50%)
· MCSE certification preferred. (0% I only have MCSA)
· Proven track record of accurate troubleshooting skills. Must demonstrate the initiative and provide the ability to analyze\troubleshoot Windows server OS\HW\Virtualization\network and Active Directory related issues to determine the appropriate course of action. (90%)
· Proven track record in Microsoft Windows Server OS, Active Directory engineering, and supporting technologies, with delivery of large-scale national and global initiatives. Should have design and architecture experience in both these areas.
(0 Production only lab with two sites)
· Proven track record with applications authenticating to Active Directory and Active Directory delegation. (90%)
· Proven track record in configuring, monitoring and troubleshooting Active Directory replication, FRS, group policies, DNS, Disaster Recovery environments. (90%)
· Server Hardware knowledge with HP Servers including blade experience.
(0 with HP 60% with Dell servers)
· Server Virtualization (VMWare) experience required. (80%)

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't have to read anything but the title.

Yes, apply. icon_thumright.gif GL!
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would say go for it! MCSE is only preferred, not required. Looks you're at 80-90% for all almost all of the requirements. It doesn't hurt to apply.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Apply, what could it hurt?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Job requirements are always bloated. Even if they found someone who meets 100% of their requirements for, they probably can't even meet the applicants salary req's.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Not only that, I've heard the job requirements are bloated intentionally so they can't find a qualified American candidate thereby justify their H1B requisition.
    ITSec14 wrote: »
    Job requirements are always bloated. Even if they found someone who meets 100% of their requirements for, they probably can't even meet the applicants salary req's.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    By all means apply! Use your cover letter to leverage your strengths for this position - make it about them and why you will help them, and put in a tidbit about why this company appeals to you (i.e., they are in the position to do blah blah blah, or mention a recent press release to support your interest in them). Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Definitely apply if it's something you want.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    Thanks Fam! After updating my resume it looks like I have been doing more than I thought.
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go for it! I've been able to get into positions that required 2-3 times the years of experience I have.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you're interested - apply. Forget about the written requirements.
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes! Always apply up. It shows you have ambition and are up to the challenge. Job listings usually want the super candidate, anyway, and those don't exist.
  • Options
    Applied to a few others today too. Thanks for the confidence everyone. I got super comfortable at this job and then it hit me that I am not where I want to be yet...too soon to get comfortable...have to keep grinding my way to the top.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There is nothing wrong with enjoying a little of your well earned success along the way just don't make it too much of a habit ;) Good Luck!
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Always apply, for a number of reasons. It's not like they will e-mail you back and ask Hey why did you apply with 4 years when we clearly asked for 8, never apply here again. Experience is not always created equal. Your 4 years experience could be seen as better than another candidate's 8 years experience. They really do pull these numbers out of thin air. Another reason is that often these lists are typed up as a wishlist by some HR Recruiter, and you just want your resume in the hands of the hiring manager because that's who is really important. Like Networking Student said, looks like you hit on 80-90% of their wishlist and you have a little less experience. That should be more than good enough to get a look and a call back.