2950 vs 2960 ? + GNS3

LamplightLamplight Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, all.

Been awhile since I posted here. A co worker was nice enough to lend me a Cisco ASA 5505, lab manual, and the OCG. Currently, I have two Cisco 2950's, and 2 Cisco 3550's(Can't do IOS 15)

As of right now I'm looking at purchasing two WS-C3560-24TS so I can use IOS 15. My current hardware is connected into my GNS3 topology.

The question is do you think I'll need to buy 2960 switches for study? or do you think I can get by?

Thanks!
Working On: eCPPT

Comments

• mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For CCNA Sec you should be fine. For CCNP Switch, I don't know for sure but you have better chance to get an appropriate answer from the CCNP forum.
  • LamplightLamplight Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mbarrett wrote: »
    For CCNA Sec you should be fine. For CCNP Switch, I don't know for sure but you have better chance to get an appropriate answer from the CCNP forum.

Thanks, mbarett.

Here's my lab now after recent(minutes ago) purchases*:

1x- ASA 5505

1x-2960* To get familiar with IOS 15. $30, Free Shipping on Ebay

2x- 2950

2x- 3560* To get familiar with IOS 15. $55, Free Shipping on Ebay

2x- 3550

+

GNS3

Does it seem like I'm solid on equipment for CCNA Security?

Thanks!
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Make sure you have a copy of ASDM that you are able to use with the ASA. A lot of the labbing on the exam will depend on your ability to configure things (like NAT) in ASDM. I'm not sure how much practical layer-2 configuration there will be, but the theory is testable. You definitely have enough physical switch fabric. IOS 15 is great but I don't think they go into that much nuanced detail for Security track at the CCNA level.
  • LamplightLamplight Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mbarrett wrote: »
    Make sure you have a copy of ASDM that you are able to use with the ASA. A lot of the labbing on the exam will depend on your ability to configure things (like NAT) in ASDM. I'm not sure how much practical layer-2 configuration there will be, but the theory is testable. You definitely have enough physical switch fabric. IOS 15 is great but I don't think they go into that much nuanced detail for Security track at the CCNA level.

Thank you for the response.

ASDM, got it! It's important to add that I have ASAv setup on GNS3 as well.

I'm using Udemy(Chris Bryant) for study. Is CBT Nuggets better?

Edited: Found CCNP:S Lab list

ASA 5500x At least 2
    ISE 1.4 or Higher
    Switch that supports 802.1x
    Router
    WLC
    AP
    WSA
    ESA
    PC with any connec