Options

Dishonest to add Extracurricular title to Resume?

Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just looking for thoughts/contributions.

Currently Help Desk/Network Support at a local for-profit college.

Recently took it upon myself (after speaking with corporate) to take over their instagram. (It was dormant)

Even though I'm not technically or not hired on as SMM;

Would it be wrong to have that as my 2nd title on my resume.

Look something like

Local Network Support/Social Media Manager

and duty would be something like

Managing and pursuing leads via Instagram channels for XXXXX, while building brand awareness and loyalty through engagement to increase following/likes.

Would that be wrong or dishonest from a future employer's perspective?

I'm not paid anything extra, it's more extracurricular in a sense...

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd run it by the boss and see if you can get it baked into your HR record.

With that said, no I wouldn't add it to my title, I would add it as a bullet point though. If your job is what you list, I would just go with Network Support and leave off the help desk. If you can get them to bite go with that. GL

HTH
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yes. Also what @Databasehead said.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Daneil3144 wrote: »

Recently took it upon myself (after speaking with corporate) to take over their instagram. (It was dormant)

Look something like

Managing and pursuing leads via Instagram channels for XXXXX, while building brand awareness and loyalty through engagement to increase following/likes.

Why? Why oh why? Does this new task add any new value to your profession? Or why not ask for compensation? That activity could be generating thousands, is that shown as bonus in your salary? Couldnt you spend that time for something more relevant to your job position?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    When I read "social media manager" my exact reaction was "wait, WHAT???" What are you trying to achieve by adding this? What is the next step in your career? If I see a technical resume with these duties I would just consider them fluff.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agree with everyone else. If you go for another networking job I'd only question why you had chosen to water down your duties with taking on social media tasks, it's not a tech skill. It's the equiv of me going for an engineering role and saying I'm also really good at snapchat.

Now, disregard if you're trying to get a job as a social media manager instead.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, I'd do it. If your planning on leaving IT and go into marketing I think it would look great on the resume.
  • Options
    Yea, I'd do it. If your planning on leaving IT and go into marketing I think it would look great on the resume.

Then they call your previous employer and they say no but he was on the help desk......
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Social Media Manager is a side duty for a low-paid HR employee in my perception. Good thinking of creating a bullet point like that, but I don't think this bullet point is valuable.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A little dishonesty never hurt anyone. I say go for it. As Rob Schneider would say, you can do it!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    yoba222 wrote: »
    Social Media Manager is a side duty for a low-paid HR employee in my perception. Good thinking of creating a bullet point like that, but I don't think this bullet point is valuable.

Yea, thanks based on everyone's input, not going to change/adjust my title.

And this 'bullet point' is probably something that is only going to show up on my linkedin profile, not my resume.
  • Options
    No offense guys and gals but some of the advice on this thread and previous threads is downright criminal. Unreal.....
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No offense guys and gals but some of the advice on this thread and previous threads is downright criminal. Unreal.....

Agreed!!

To the OP

Go with your job title, and don't fabricate things. Be yourself on Linked in and in person. People will be skeptical if you say Social Media Manager on one resume(linked in), and you're something else on another resume.

If you want to stand out, then I would suggest looking for projects to do during down time.

The projects can be discussed in an interview, or mentioned in a cover letter. Also, pursue certifications that you can add to your resume.

https://www.seo.com/blog/what-does-a-social-media-manager-do

Here is what a Social Media Manager does:

They work with social media. That much may be a little obvious, but what do they specifically do day in and day out?

While the exact duties may change based on industry and brand demands, the duties, tasks and responsibilities of a social media manager may include some or all of the following:

Set goals and plan out an extensive social media strategy
    Develop brand awareness and build an online reputation
    Monitor, manage and respond to online reviews
    Curate, create, and publishing relevant, original, and high-quality content
    Coordinate with any SEO strategies to help generate more inbound traffic
    Design, create and manage promotions and social ad campaigns
    Create and implement an editorial calendar to manage content
    Promote any other blog or website content through social advertising, social posts, and more
    Develop relevant content topics that speak to the company’s target audience
    Participate in online advocacy efforts and look for cross-promotional opportunities
    Build and expand community and/or influencer outreach efforts
    Track and analyze key metrics and then tweak the strategy as needed
    Monitor trends in social media tools, applications, channels, design and strategy, and implement the ones that are going to provide the most benefit
    Continually educating yourself on the most effective methodologies so you can remain as effective as possible
    Coordinate with others in the company to find the best new stories to tell
    Develop relationships through social media platforms
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ^^ Yep, I know a couple actual social media managers. Posting pictures to instagram != being a SMM.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□

LOL, I thought it was safe to assume he wasn't going for a Marketing position since he was asking on an IT forum with my post... Hence I didn't think it would actually help him. I may have been reaching with my sarcasm there.

I am kind of a bad a$$ tho icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Always go with your official title. Background check companies are going to call and confirm your dates and title. That's two spots you really don't want to lie about.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If it was work that you did, regardless whether you were getting paid you should think about adding it - if nothing else, it shows your ambition and interest.
    The only dishonest part is if you falsify the information on your resume (which from the sound of it, doesn't sound like what you're trying to do.)
    Just make sure you're saying this was on a volunteer basis, don't try to make it out like it's part off your paid duties.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■

icon_cool.gif

Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Why? Why oh why? Does this new task add any new value to your profession? Or why not ask for compensation? That activity could be generating thousands, is that shown as bonus in your salary? Couldnt you spend that time for something more relevant to your job position?

Who knows? I don't know the answer to that myself. Most of it is automated, due to a few scripts/programs I run, tbh. I just opportunity and I approached a few people. I have no idea where my road leads. This time last year I was a Probation Officer and I've had an interest in marketing/recruiting. Let me find out you're offering $500 for a referral via HR. icon_lol.gif But, I know it isn't lucrative already making 40k at my first IT position.
    Go with your job title, and don't fabricate things. Be yourself on Linked in and in person. People will be skeptical if you say Social Media Manager on one resume(linked in), and you're something else on another resume.

I meant my job title would be the same, but it would be an extra bullet via linkedin.
    That would kind of be expected, since resumes are supposed to be tailored towards the job.
    LinkedIn may have everything.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□

Look something like

Now, imagine being a hiring manager looking at your resume and wondering why your applying for 'whatever position'. Would the description on the resume "jive" with the next position you would likely be applying? What do think the hiring manager would think discovering the candidate in question is a hybrid support desk/social media manager? Does this person look like a good candidate for a lower level position than a manager of insert title here?

Personally, I see it as a potential self inflicted (career) injury.

- b/eads
  • Options
    Just got this e-mail from my employer...
    Your facility is the winner of the Instagram follower contest. But in order for me to present it to the rest of the facilities I would like to ask all of you how did you raise your followers by so much? What tactics did you use and what advice can you offer the rest of the facilities.

First of all, I didn't even know there was a contest and I feel this work shouldn't be extracurricular. LOL

Going to have to marinate on this all night, should I tell the truth(as I use blackhat SEO tactics such as automation) or should I state it was all manual engagement?! Or maybe a mix of manual and a script.
  • Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh yeah. Definitely lie.

/sigh
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just got this e-mail from my employer...

First of all, I didn't even know there was a contest and I feel this work shouldn't be extracurricular. LOL

Going to have to marinate on this all night, should I tell the truth(as I use blackhat SEO tactics such as automation) or should I state it was all manual engagement?! Or maybe a mix of manual and a script.

To put this in context with the original post, you're wondering if you should list managing social networking as a core piece of the job, when your techniques (black hat SEO) could cause the social media account to get banned by search engines (depending on the particular techniques used)?
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    EANx wrote: »
    To put this in context with the original post, you're wondering if you should list managing social networking as a core piece of the job, when your techniques (black hat SEO) could cause the social media account to get banned by search engines (depending on the particular techniques used)?

Yeah, this is sounding like a recipe for disaster. I heard JC Penny’s was gaming the search engines(aka Google) and was doing a really good job at it until Google updated its algorithm and then their web traffic tanked.

Black hat is how you go from hero to zero to fired. It would especially suck getting fired over it when it’s not your primary duties.