Options

WGU replaces BS- IT Security with BS - Network Operations and Security

e.ap3699e.ap3699 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Looks like they got rid of Linux+ and added Comptia Cloud Foundations, ITIL Foundations Certification, LPI Linux Essentials, Certified Internet Webmaster-Site Development Associate (CIW-SDA), and Cisco CCDA.

https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/information-technology-security-network-administration-bachelors-program#

What do you guys think? I'm supposed to start my BS - IT Security October 1st. Would it be a good idea to switch?

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've been thinking about the focus of the IT Security degree and wondered why it wasn't something closer to what the new degree is named. I like it.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    justdaveyjustdavey Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow... that was out of the blue. I was looking at the IT Security major, but may go with this, I can import more certs into it off the bat. Time to analyze further. I wish they'd drop the A+ cert.

Davey
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Right move. This program's top notch cert was CCNA:Security, so it was about network security from the beginning. Since they introduced cybersecurity and info assurance, which is more about security essentials, it makes sense to rename IT security to what it really is -- network security.

Check with credits, if the new program requires more credits to complete considering all the credits you can transfer, do you really need to study more?
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Agree with @gespenstern here. The overall focus of security has changed dramatically since the inception of the program and WGU is simply catching up. My environment has little on prem equipment but does have the follow (get ready): Rackspace, traditional PaaS; AWS (East); AWS (West); Azure; AWS (UK); AWS (Australia/NZ); and some other dinky little cloud provider out west that needs to go away. Add to this HIPAA, NIST and GDPR as well as Australian and New Zealand regulations.

Seeing less on prem network so your traditional data center is going to become more rare over time. Maybe not in the nearest of futures but pretty apparent that much of it is going cloud, either way. This affects the way we setup and defend networks not to mention the compliance and regulatory issues like HIPAA. AWS is particularly difficult to make HIPAA compliant.

Ultimately, I would need to see more of an understanding as to how compliance and organization is built into the degree program. Understand there is no current certification for practical architecture but that's the Achilles heel of most if not all security undergrad programs.

My summer interns got a complete education into what security involves over the summer. icon_lol.gif

Poor kids.

- b/eads
  • Options
    albinorhino187albinorhino187 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like a nice overhaul. Too bad they couldn't have done it like 6 months ago.
    CCIE RS - Written (Goal: July 2019) [ ] Lab [ ]
  • Options
    joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looks like an improvement to me. I'm almost done with the current program now, so I'm not about to switch.
  • Options
    boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does that mean my program changed or am I still in the security program?

Oh either way I want to switch. This is much better.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Options
    You should have the option to change to the updated program.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

• Options
    PocketLumberjackPocketLumberjack Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ugh... it is tempting to switch, the CCNA's and CCDA would be nice... good thing all the classes I have taken so far are in this program and I have some time to think about it.
    Learn some thing new every day, but don’t forget to review things you know.
  • Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Currently, I am in the BSITSec program.

So, I sit for the ICND1 on Thursday, and expect to sit for the ICND2 around mid-September.

I have finished Capstone task 1, and will have the proposal completed by the end of the weekend. It is very feasible that the entire capstone will be completed by the end of next week.

The only class I will have left is C299 - Designing Customized Security for the CCNA: Security, which I expect to complete by mid-October.

That will mean I have completed my degree requirements, and would have 2.5 months left in my term.

If I switch over to BSNOS, I would need to add the ITIL, Cloud+ and the CCDA. Everything else would already be complete.

If I transfer over to the BSNOS, after I have completed the requirements for BSITSec, it would be very feasible to knock out the ITIL, Cloud+ and the CCDA during those remaining 2.5 months. I wonder if it would actually be possible to walk out with a dual degree.

I get my degree mailed to me, approximately 2 weeks after I complete my courseload. But, I am still considered enrolled through the end of my term, which is why I can't start the Master's program until after this term ends.

My question is if I complete my courseload for BSITSec by week 2 of October. Get everything finalized, and then transfer over to BSNOS, could I talk them into a dual degree?

I think I need to have a serious conversation with my student mentor tomorrow.
  • Options
    PocketLumberjackPocketLumberjack Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It doesn't have Cloud+, just Cloud Essentials which doesn't seem to be aimed at IT professionals...

From Comptia's website:
    [h=4]Cloud Essentials or Cloud+?[/h] If you’re still on the fence about which CompTIA certification is best for you, consider this chart outlining the difference between CompTIA Cloud Essentials and CompTIA Cloud+.

[TH]CompTIA Cloud Essentials[/TH]
    [TH]CompTIA Cloud+[/TH]

Your education background or career doesn’t require a high level of IT training.
    Your education background or career is based in STEM.

Your organization is or will be using cloud computing in some fashion.
    You will be managing or maintaining your business’ IT infrastructure.

You are in management or a decision-heavy position within your organization.
    You have at least two to three years of hands-on experience with IT networking, storage or data center technology.

You want to understand the more fundamental, practical elements of your company’s cloud strategy.
    You are looking to advance your already-established IT career.

[h=3][/h]
    Learn some thing new every day, but don’t forget to review things you know.
  • Options
    If I remember correctly, WGU will not give out dual degrees from the same school (IT, for instance). I am not sure if it would be worth the time and effort to move over into the new program. Naturally, since I am not a WGU representative, ask you student mentor for clarification on the policy.

• Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, WGU will not give out dual degrees from the same school (IT, for instance). I am not sure if it would be worth the time and effort to move over into the new program. Naturally, since I am not a WGU representative, ask you student mentor for clarification on the policy.

Are you saying that if I completed the Network Operations & Security degree, then tried to do the Bachelors of Cybersecurity Information Assurance, that the credits acquired on the Net-Ops Sec degree wouldn't count toward the B.S. - CIA degree? Or just that you couldn't do both at the same time?
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    My understanding, as limited as it probably is but based on other threads here in TE, is that you cannot get two B.S. degrees from the School of Information Technology. You could get one from the School of Information Technology and one from the School of Business, for instance. Again, I've never spoken to anyone at WGU but some have. Ratbuddy may have been one that contacted them then posted here. I recommend a search of this forum for the discussions.

• Options
    boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @beads - wouldn't that make the CCDA valuable?
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Options
    albinorhino187albinorhino187 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm curious what their provided training materials for CCDA and ITIL would be. I'm currently studying for my CCNP, but eventually i'd like to go back and get the CCDA/CCDP done as well.
    CCIE RS - Written (Goal: July 2019) [ ] Lab [ ]
  • Options
    So, I had a talk with my student mentor today about the BSNOS track.

Long story short, you cannot transfer programs mid-term. If I wanted to transfer to the BSNOS track, it would not take effect until January. Since I am expecting to have everything done in the next 6 weeks, that is a no go for me.

On to the other aspects. My understanding is that you can get a second degree from WGU, either in the same college, or a different one. BUT, there must be a minimum of 30 credits that are different between tracks. So, when I finish the BSITSec, I can't go back for the BSNOS, because they are only something like 10-15 credits different.

On the other hand, the BS in Software Development wuold be acceptable because there are roughly 36 credits that are different.

If I wanted a second degree in something like Accounting or Business Management, there would be no problem, as both programs are sufficiently different from the BSITSec program. (Something I am actually considering...)

Hope this helps those who are looking into the new program.
  • Options
    I'm curious what their provided training materials for CCDA and ITIL would be. I'm currently studying for my CCNP, but eventually i'd like to go back and get the CCDA/CCDP done as well.

uCertify has a course for both CCDA and for ITIL. Given the love for uCertify at WGU, I would imagine it uses the uCertify course.
  • Options
    Thank you, jibtech, for asking the questions and getting clarification. Good info.

• Options
    I'll leave this here...

https://partners.wgu.edu/TransferGuidelines/IT/Bachelor%20of%20Science%20in%20Network%20Operations%20and%20Security.pdf

**As of 10/1/2017, WGU is no longer enrolling students in the Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (BSITSEC).
    ***Bachelor of Science, IT Network Operations and Security program will be released to students beginning 10/01/2017.

And for the other degrees...

https://cm.wgu.edu/t5/Admission/Transfer-Credit-Evaluation-Guidelines-for-Information-Technology/ta-p/155
  • Options
    After a quick run through, based off of what jibtech mentioned, there are roughly 13 or so classes that differ between the BSNOS and BSCSIA degrees, totaling more than the minimum 36 credit difference. Might be an interesting "double major" to pursue.

• Options
    After a quick run through, based off of what jibtech mentioned, there are roughly 13 or so classes that differ between the BSNOS and BSCSIA degrees, totaling more than the minimum 36 credit difference. Might be an interesting "double major" to pursue.

Quick clarification. My conversation with my SM was about the ability to transfer into BSNOS now, and pull off a double degree. He clarified the end of term restriction for transferring.

The 36 credit difference is one I have seen multiple places, but was not part of my conversation with the SM.

I am still in contact with my enrollment counselor, so I will reach out to him to get clarification on what is actually permitted.

Stay tuned.
  • Options
    Okay, I now have actual information. I will post the text of the email when I get home, but this is the quick summary.

To enroll in any degree program, you must have 25% that still needs to be completed. Example: Since the BSNet isn't 25% different from the BSITSec, you could not enroll in one of those, if you had the other. However, the BSCSIA is different enough from the BSITSec that both would be a valid option. They are still working out the details for the BSNOS, but the same formula will apply.

Also, you can earn up to two graduate degrees within any one school. However, you cannot earn two MBAs, two MSN, etc. the differences between them are not significant enough to meet the 25% requirement above.

As a side note, I had an answer from my enrollment counselor in 30 minutes after hours, when he is no longer involved with my enrollment at all. I have absolutely the greatest luck at WGU with counselors and mentors.
  • Options

Yes, this was my original idea. I crunched all of the numbers and requirements, mapped it out to a time-table and found that it would actually be cheaper to get the 2nd degree than it was to get the first when it was all said and done, plus getting the BSCSIA 2nd would be a great way to ease into the transition between BS and MS for the MSCSIA program and CISSP when I'm ready to move that direction. It just seems like the right path and I'm setting things up based on several threads on here to do just that.
  • Options
    So, I kinda put this post into the wrong thread last night. Oops.

Emails to and from enrollment counselor:
    R,

A question came up today regarding the new BSNOS degree program, and you seem like the right guy to ask.

If someone has a BSCSIA degree, could they then enroll for the BSNOS? My understanding is that there needs to be a minimum number of "different" credits between the two programs.

Others have heard that you cannot earn two bachelor degrees from WGU in the same school. So no two degrees in IT, but you could go after a separate degree from the Business, Education or Nursing programs.

Can you provide any clarification on what the rules actually are? A number of people have expressed interest, but actual details are sparse.

As always, it is much appreciated.

J

And the response:

Hi J,

Great to hear from you! I can clarify up to a point, but I am still waiting on additional information regarding this new degree plan myself, so some things are tentative.

The restriction on the number of degrees you can get from WGU pertains to graduate level programs; you can only complete two graduate degrees from the same college (IT, Business, etc). Furthermore, students cannot complete two MBA, two MSN, two MAT, or two MED programs, since the different variants are too similar and will not meet minimum residency requirements.

Minimum residency requirements dictate that in order to enroll in a degree plan, a student must have 25% or more of the program competency units left to complete. This is why I am not able to enroll a student in BS IT Network Admin and then enroll them in BS IT Security after they graduate; the two programs are too similar, but there was enough of a difference between BS IT Security and BS Cybersecurity and Info Assurance that that was a valid combo.

For more details, the student handbook article on this subject is located here: https://cm.wgu.edu/t5/Admission/Second-Degree-Matriculation-and-Minimum-Residency-Requirement/ta-p/122

That said, the new BS Network Operations and Security degree plan is a revised and retitled version of the old BS IT Security program. It still uses CCNA and CCNA Security certificates as its centerpiece, but adds some new certs and courses around it to further distinguish it from the older degree plans. I do not yet have final transfer evaluation requirements for BS NOS, but once I do, I should be able to do some calculations to determine if graduating from BS Cybersecurity and Info Assurance and then enrolling in BS NOS would be in line with the residency requirements.

Best Regards,

R
  • Options
    Great stuff, thanks for clarifying.