Options

MS ActiveSync 4.1 with PDA & Exchange help! Gurus pleas

TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
Very stuck, very pissed, very much in need of some help from an Exchange expert or someone who knows a lot about MS ActiveSync 4.1 and Cingular 8125 PDA.

So here's the problem. I install the MS ActiveSync 4.1 on the PC and go to sync up the PDA with the Exchange server and I get the following error:

"Your account in microsoft exchange server does not have the permission to synchronize with your current settings. Contact your exchange server administrator

Support code:85010004"

Which is utter rubbish. This happens on any account I try, even the Domain Admin account icon_rolleyes.gif

I have done the following:
    icon_arrow.gif Followed THIS KB inside and out and the solution does not fix my problem.

icon_arrow.gif Reinstalled the certificate of the PC the PDA is syncing to onto the PDA.

icon_arrow.gif Fooled around with the Exchange permissions through and through for the user's mailbox.

icon_arrow.gif Went to the Exchange System manager and configured the Mobile Services under Global Setting properties to not require Device Security

icon_arrow.gif Made absolutely sure that SSL was not required

The Exchange server specs:

MS Windows Server 2003 SP1
    MS Exchange Server 2003 SP2

WSUS runs on this server also.

I would be so thankful if someone has any idea that I could possibly try. Just by intuition it seems to me to be a certificate problem. I must admit that I am still a noob when it comes to Certificate Authority and am still learning it. I guess I could be exporting the wrong certificate to install on the PDA, but there is virtually not much documentation on this that I can find.

One last thing. There are some Technet webcasts that go over ActiveSync issues that I have not watched yet, so perhaps the answer lies there, but I am too busy to watch them
    icon_lol.gif

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
      ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
      Did you make your own certificate or did you buy one from one of the major vendors?

Are you using SBS 2003 or regular 2003? I had all kinds of problems with getting it working on SBS using a custom cert. When I used a purchased cert on a regular 2003, it is working fine (so far).
      Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    • Options
      Hey thanks for the reply ajs1976.
      ajs1976 wrote:
      Did you make your own certificate or did you buy one from one of the major vendors?

Made our own. We have one Root CA that acts as the issuing server.
      ajs1976 wrote:
      Are you using SBS 2003 or regular 2003?

Regular 2003 Enterprise Edition SP1

I had read on all kinds of forums/boards that people were struggling with the SBS version, but I can't get it to work at all with the regular version either.
    • Options
      ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
      I tried disabling the SSL, but had no luck with that.

Have you tried adding the root certificate to the device? See if this helps: http://www.petri.co.il/adding_root_certificates_to_windows_mobile_2003_ppc.htm

When I was researching the issues I was having, a lot of the posts said forget about using a homemade cert and buy one. I guess a lot of the devices have restrictions on adding certs. When I did a second ActiveSync setup, we bought a certificate and didn't have any issues.
      Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    • Options
      Woohoo I fixed it finally icon_cool.gif

ajs1976 I used that link and followed the instructions, and I still ended up with the same problem.

What I finally did was export the Certificate on the exchange server to a .pfx file and then d/l a program called p12import. After that I imported the certificate on the PPC using that utility and then checked the SSL box in the MS ActiveSync software and presto!

Synced every folder and all is well.

Thanks for your help ajs1976, your post got me into a mode to look for utilities to import certificates on a PPC. :D