WGU B.S. Security Finished - Next Steps

On Sept 1st I finished my B.S. IT: Security at WGU. After 2 1/2 years since starting. I only transferred in 8 CU's from my A+ certificate, so I had to do all the Gen Ed classes. Very proud of myself!

For more background check out this thread I started a few months back: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/126854-manager-leaving-possible-promotion-raise.html

Post #1 and #8 are probably the most relevant.

I am still at the same company that is outlined in the post I linked to above.
My current job is:
Position: Systems Administrator
Company Size: ~100 end users
Server Environment: Windows
Virtualization: Vsphere 6.5
Network Equipment:
Backbone: Brocade
Distribution: HP
Router: Cisco
Firewall: Checkpoint
Backup: Veeam
Pay: $47000 + bonus up to 10%

Did I mention I am the only IT guy at my company? On top of all my Systems Admin duties, I have to do break/fix tickets. Oh, how I hate break/fix. icon_sad.gif
You may ask what is the point of all of this? Good Question!
My current position has more downtime than any other place I have worked and is therefore very boring. I have only stayed here because I was able to study college classes throughout the day. This allowed me to really knock out the last 10 classes at WGU.

Now that I am done with school I am bored out of my mind at work, and the work I do have to do is stupid break/fix tickets. I am sick of being a one man show here, and I am starting to work on AWS certs through Linux Academy. I plan on work on the AWS certs non-stop until I have all eight of them. I also plan on learning Ruby, Chef, Puppter, Docker, and Kubernetes.

This is all a lot of learning to do, but I am tired of being the lone ranger at work and I want to move to a new role. Does anyone have any input or suggestions?
I picked the wrong profession. Too much studying. :study:
[FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]

Comments

• devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Apply to other jobs?icon_scratch.gif
  • f16jetmanf16jetman Member Posts: 108
    That does seem the most obvious doesn't it?
    I picked the wrong profession. Too much studying. :study:
    [FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Given your background and my personal experiences with a similar background your likely to see alot of interest in hybrid positions where your SysAdmin background will be applied to security but more likely on the SA side of the field. I may work as a security SME but I am often found troubleshooting MS server and Cisco issues in the same hour as parsing logs and writing policy.

Well others fail its generally up to security or an outside consultant to fix things.

- b/eads