Options

Are these benefits standard in the IT world?

Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
Saw this job posting for a MSP in my town, and even though I'm new to the IT field, are these benefits standard.

Is this what I get to look forward to?
My wife is a nurse and has worked at local hospital to federal hospitals, and her benefits are nowhere close to this..
Just curious

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Daneil3144 wrote: »
    Saw this job posting for a MSP in my town, and even though I'm new to the IT field, are these benefits standard.

Is this what I get to look forward to?
    My wife is a nurse and has worked at local hospital to federal hospitals, and her benefits are nowhere close to this..
    Just curious

Not all of them, I did work for a company that fully paid for medical, everything else is mix and match. Thats really good what you have there, I'd say that falls in the area of the FANG companies.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Free Bongo Java Coffee?? I have a Caribou Coffee onsite at my work but can't I get it for free. That is pretty sweet! Wouldn't count on getting that elsewhere.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I wouldn't call them standard, but certainly not unheard of. Popular in startups for sure.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Popular in startups for sure but there's a lot of details missing. 100% medical, is that HMO or PPO? What does that provider network look like? How much paid vacation and sick time? What happens if you get caught in a project and can't use it? Does it roll over to the next year? If so, how many hours can you carry over? If not, can you sell the time back? What sort of "retirement plan" with matching? Is there a limit to their "100% matching?"

Not saying there's anything wrong with it, it looks good on the surface, just that you need more info to determine how good a deal it is.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks generous to me. Above average.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    EANx wrote: »
    Popular in startups for sure but there's a lot of details missing. 100% medical, is that HMO or PPO? What does that provider network look like? How much paid vacation and sick time? What happens if you get caught in a project and can't use it? Does it roll over to the next year? If so, how many hours can you carry over? If not, can you sell the time back? What sort of "retirement plan" with matching? Is there a limit to their "100% matching?"

Not saying there's anything wrong with it, it looks good on the surface, just that you need more info to determine how good a deal it is.
    Agree with this, there is some detail missing. I wouldn't expect to see all the detail in the job listing, but the detail is important too. Little things to keep in mind, "free lunch daily" usually translates to "I'm just going to grab the free lunch and keep working" vs actually going out and taking a lunch break. That stuff is nice to have but be aware that there might be some assumptions in there related to them.

Just be sure to add up those benefits and factor them into the salary offer. For example, at my company they don't pay 100% of insurance, but most of it. So for a single person it's maybe 100 a month or so. So really if they said it was 100% covered it would only be an extra 1200 a year which isn't much but some people would use it at as a selling point to offer you much less money.

Anyway, not trying to be too cynical, they are nice perks, not all standard, and good luck applying!
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like on the high end and most likely a small / start up mentality.

Like other have mentioned, the devil is in the details. Last start up I worked for offered a 100% health insurance, I mean 100% PPO but............ Only I was covered. 100% co pays covered I literally spent nothing ( I am talking zero out of my pay checks the company ate all the cost) but....... it was just me not my family. Thankfully at the time my wife was working full time an had access to very good benefits.... So that would be one of the one off gotchas potentially.
    Need more details stated by others...