Options

NOC Apprenticeship Guidance

Tahirq89Tahirq89 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been working as level 1 helpdesk support for two years. My job I have been actively trying to gain networking knowledge and experience so that I can enter into networking field. I have done CCNA R/S in 2015 & CCNP Route three months back.
Now a friend of mine who is a call center agent knows a Guy who is working as network engineer in a large telco's NOC and luckily, for me the network guy works in evening shift and is willing to let me come sit with him after 7-8 pm when he as solved majority of tickets so i can see how Network operation center operates & get to see how he works. From what little contact i have with the NOC guy, he has told me that he works on layer 3 access side meaning the provider edge routers. His job is mainly to check configure and troubleshoot L2 & L3 vpns between Provider edge & Customer Provider Edge. He also works parallel with field operations team & sometimes diagnoses customer links to the MPLS Cloud with other ISP's.

Majority posters here seem to be network professionals who are actually in the field, post their actual work problems here and not folks like me who talk about cert exam questions help or GNS3 topology questions.

What I want to know is that how should i maximize this opportunity and what questions/areas should i focus on when I go to him. I have covered BGP, EIGRP & OSPF and a bit about VPN tunnels in CCNP route.

I don't wanna seem careless in front of him & at the same time don't wanna ask too many stupid questions as that will turn him off and make it seem like i am wasting his time. For a guy who is stuck in helpdesk, this is a golden opportunity for me to get out comfort zone and actually learn something. I don't wanna waste it. Any tips would be appreciated

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    ASK the questions, that is what the apprenticeship is for. Research as well!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sounds like he has a cool job.

Ask questions, take notes and show your knowledge.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With 2 years exp and a CCNA, start applying. You qualify to get hired already. You can shadow when you get hired.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP