Options

A+, ccent, and some experience...any ideas on whats next?

nnayr3nnayr3 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Back in July I passed and got my A+. I started working in a help desk role immediately, so for about 3 months. I recently obtained my CCENT and am ready to look for other jobs. I understand I am new to this industry and will likely be in some type of customer service role, but any ideas on what I should look for now that I have my A+, CCENT and a little experience.

I've heard a few people here say when you obtain certs to keep looking. Either they can’t get hired for anything else other than help desk or they have forgotten everything and bomb interviews.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    what do you want to do in IT? what is your goal? Since you have your CCENT I would start looking for networking jobs if that is what you want to go for. also now is the time to turn the CCENT into a CCNA.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    nnayr3nnayr3 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thats exactly what I want to get into. Do you think I can find a entry level networking job with those 2 certs and a little bit of experience. Any ideas on any job titles i should search for?
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    what do you want to do in IT? what is your goal? Since you have your CCENT I would start looking for networking jobs if that is what you want to go for. also now is the time to turn the CCENT into a CCNA.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Network Analyst, NOC, Systems Analyst, Level II Support. Really have to read the job descriptions as titles, especially at lower levels, as they can vary and mean a lot of different things though.

Think you should be able to find something with a CCNA. Having a college degree also helps alot if you don't already have one...
  • Options
    hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    i have heard of at least one person who did some volunteer work for his church's network and ended up getting a government job